1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't figure out auxiliary audio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ocean, May 2, 2017.

1. Ocean

Ocean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I bought a 2005 Prius a few months ago, and thus far I have not been able to figure out the auxiliary audio. The car has an audio input toward the bottom the the dash by the cigarette lighter, which my mad Googling skills have told me is an aftermarket modification. The problem is I can't figure out how to work it. Can anyone help me? Also I posted a pic so you can see what it looks like.

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Back when I had a Gen 1 (even older than your Gen 2, but anyway), I added an aftermarket thingy to allow connecting an iPod, and it also had an aux in. The one I used was from DICE Electronics, and it worked by telling the headunit it was a minidisc changer (which was an actual thing you could get for the Prius in Japan, so the headunit had screens and touch controls for it). If I remember right, you got to the aux in by telling the headunit to change to "disc 5" and picking a particular track. You could use other "tracks" to adjust the aux level, bass, treble, and mid.

Since those are the sorts of things you might not just naturally think up, maybe you'll have to trace that cable back to whatever add-in box was used, then look up that make and model of box online and see if you can find the manual for it.

-Chap

3. Ocean

Ocean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried doing the CD thing and when I hit the CD button it just says 'No Disc'. That route is a no-go.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My first guess would be the CD changer buttons but since you said it doesn't work... I find it odd there is an on/off switch. This reminds me of a physical FM transmitter that you attach to the antenna cable and into the deck. It's supposed to get better reception than a wireless FM transmitter. Flip that thing on and start surfing FM channels!

5. Ocean

Ocean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car has FM1 and FM2. Which one should I do, one or both? Just turn it on and turn to each station until I find one playing my music?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FM1 and FM2 just allows you to store up to 12 stations (6 in each). Both are FM and you can scroll through the engine range of frequency in either mode.

If it is an FM transmitter, it's usually broadcasting in the low end to avoid crossing signals with an actual FM station.

It is odd that there's an on/off switch. My AUX input from DICE electronics didn't (put it in the glovebox) and it ran off the CD2 mode.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're worried about removing the center finish panel to get to the radio and identify what kind of aux in adapter was used, try just removing the glove box. You can reach the back of the radio pretty well that way, and quite possibly you'd be able to see whatever adapter unit is back there and read a label on it.

Then just Google for it and see if you find instructions. That may still be the best route to your answer.

-Chap

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You got it. Doesn't matter which FM you are on. Use the scan button. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to scan through all the stations.

9. Ocean

Ocean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scanning all the FM channels didn't work either.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    May have been suggested before, but if you find out what aux input adapter was added to your car and then look for its user manual, that will probably tell you how to use it.

-Chap

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you able to see where it's connected to?

You can remove the lower glovebox without tools.