Can't find a replacement 12v battery for my Prius.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jesse Elledge, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jesse Elledge

Jesse Elledge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What kind of battery can my 12v battery be replaced with since they don't seem to have the exact on that is in my car anywhere?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota dealers don't carry them anymore?

3. Jesse Elledge

Jesse Elledge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I haven't checked but I'm not very close to one. I was hoping that there'd be something close enough I could find at an auto zone.

bisco likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In late 2003, the Gen 1 battery was upgraded to this one (allowing for a couple part-number changes in the years since).

Depending on the age of your 2003, that would be an exact replacement if yours came with the upgraded battery originally.

If your car came with the older smaller one, then moving to the upgraded one will require this tray-and-cable upgrade (just $30ish, one time), and then the above battery is the Toyota exact fit for your car going forward.

-Chap

mroberds likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ain't nothing cheap about owning a hybrid.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Friend of mine recently replaced the 12V battery on his 2002. The price was $300+ from a Toyota dealer. Even the parts counter guy thought the price was out of line, but that's what it was.

I'd recommend measuring the space available and trying to find a substitute. Will probably require changing the cables.

7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mroberds and bisco like this.
  8. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried Autozone? O'reilly's? Walmart? Spec is for a deep cycle, but really a motorcycle AGM or a lawn tractor battery would do the job for a lot less money. I'm using a UPS (computer back up) battery, for over a year now. Works just fine and I think it was around $60.

9. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

This is a copy/paste from my reply in another thread....

When I replaced my 12v battery in my 2001 a while back, I just went into Autozone with my stock battery's measurements and ended up finding a Duralast 8AMU1R. Their web site says it doesn't fit the Prius, but with minor tweaks, it works fine. I believe it is actually for a Miata. They list it at about $125. It is a vented AGM battery with about the same length and width as the stock battery, but slightly shorter. Its fits easily in the space, but I needed to use a wood spacer so the hold-down clamp would cinch up tight and hold it in place. Also, it uses standard size terminals (but in the correct locations). This is a pretty easy fix also because the entire negative cable can easily be replaced, and the stock positive clamp bolts onto the end of the factory cable, so you can just replace the clamp. Here are the battery's specs from Autozone's web site:

Product Details

Part Number: 8AMU1R
    Weight: 24.0 lbs
    Warranty: 5 YR
    Notes: Warranty consists of 3 years free replacement plus 2 years prorated. *** 370 Cold cranking Amps (460 cranking Amps) ***. 45 reserve minutes. Check the customer's vehicle, battery installation could take up to 30 minutes. Battery located in trunk. Special 12-volt: 9 3/4" x 5" x 7 1/2". Battery is vented to outside of vehicle (AGM)
    Application: Automobile
    BCI Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 370
    BCI Cold Cranking Amps Value: Tested to BCI Standard
    BCI Designation: U1
    Battery Height: 186 mm - 7 5/16 in
    Battery Length: 197 mm - 7 3/4 in
    Battery Width: 132 mm - 5 3/16 in
    Core Charge Applicable: Yes
    EN / DIN Designation: Not Applicable
    JIS Designation: Not Applicable
    Positive Terminal Side: Right
    Post Location: Top Post