1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't find coolant leak, check engine light on, please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kerry Grant, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kerry Grant

Kerry Grant New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ICE Water pump failed(leaked), replaced about 3 months ago. Now for the last two weeks the coolant level drops while driving (by various amounts, despite identical commute) and is low every morning, although by wildly different amounts. Yesterday I had to replace half a gallon, today less than half a cup. The apparent randomness is confusing me!

It gets so bad (sometimes) the triangle of doom comes on until I add more coolant, then I can drive again.

I turned on the motor and watched but I can't see where the leak is coming from. There are no obvious drips. Also, I checked the inside of the pulley and it is dry and dusty.

Took it to O'Reilly and they only pulled code p0420 which seems unrelated.

Thanks for your time and consideration, any input is appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you replace the pump yourself? I suspect the coolant wasn't filled properly during the refill process. It should be nearly full now after adding half gallon.

You should bleed all the air out and make sure your heater works

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If there is no obvious drips, then somehow it is being consumed inside the engine.
    Which could mean you have a head gasket leak. (Heads often get warped if they are overheated.)

Is there white "smoke" coming out of your tailpipe?

You may want to have it checked out at a mechanic shop.
    They can pressure check for leak.

4. Kerry Grant

Kerry Grant New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear jc91006, it was replaced by a shop, I'm not that mechanically inclined. Also, in total, I have added roughly 3-4 gallons over the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for your feedback and I encourage further comments from all.

5. Kerry Grant

Kerry Grant New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great idea ericbecky, I will follow up with the results of the test as soon as it can be done (probably tomorrow).

Thanks for the quick response!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The capacity of the engine coolant system for 2G North American Prius is 9.1 US quarts. So the problem is significant, and if you don't see any fluid actually leaking out then the engine must be consuming it.

1. How many miles on the odometer?
    2. It appears that the catalytic converter has also failed since the car logged DTC P0420.
    3. Do you see whitish smoke out the tailpipe when you accelerate hard?
    4. What does the engine oil look like on the dipstick? If it has a creamy look to it, then coolant is mixing with engine oil.
    5. If you see either or both of 3 and 4 above then the engine is dead and you should develop a plan to either replace the engine with a used unit (which might cost $2.5K or so as labor will be the major cost), or else purchase a replacement vehicle.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If he waterpump failure caused an engine overheat event it probably damaged the head
    Coupled with the fact that after the repair the coolant was not bledd properly which also results in an overheat because air is trapped in the highest point of the engine the head
    You were probably hearing water gurgling under the dash
    Which is air in the coolant system

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kerry- Are you using the special Toyota Super Long Life coolant, the pink stuff? Sometimes you can see that caked up as pink salts if there is a leak usually by the water pump.