1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't fix this electrical issue.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius92, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I finally said "f it" today and put the entire battery back together. One module was at 3100 MAh, but not reversed polarity. I snuck it in a block so the car isn't seeing it.

Dr. Prius life expectancy test showed 89.2%, higher than it ever has been (63% when I got the car).

I forgot to originally mention, part of what made me redo the hybrid battery is due to some electrical issues I thought were the fault of it, and turns out it isn't.

This electrical issue could of even been making the battery appear weaker than it is.

The car does the following:
    1. Displays "problem" and beeps.
    2. Red triangle appears, as well as a red car with exclamation point on the MFD.
    3. VSC, brake control system (yellow one), and check engine lights come up on the dash.
    4. Hybrid power is lost, and have to step harder on the gas to go anywhere.

The main issue is finding codes is impossible. There is no communication with the hybrid system when this occurs. The hybrid fan comes on full speed, but this might be a fail safe. All I can do is pullover, clear the codes on my handheld scanner, and drive again.

I've had the regular 12V battery checked and it's fine. Checked all kinds of grounds, connectors, etc.

I've tried to replicate the problem but can't. Stomping on the gas or brake pedals, turning the AC on, going up or down a hill, hitting a bump, changing gears, etc doesn't cause it. In fact it seems to happen in the most perfect of conditions (flat ground, city or highway speeds). It can happen once a minute or once an hour.

A couple other weird observations:

When at a stop light, the battery drains quickly with the AC on. When I ran the Dr. Prius test, it took 14 minutes to complete (the entire countdown plus 30 or so seconds) and the AC was on the entire time. The ICE is disabled during this test, and at a stop light in normal conditions, the battery can go into purple in 60 seconds. So why is having the engine kick on WITH the AC so much more draining than not running the engine AT ALL? I must wonder if something that runs when the AC normally does is draining the battery, and not the electric compressor itself.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Identity of handheld scanner?

3. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Dr Prius app can't connect to my car when this occurs, my handheld scanner can connect, but says no codes, even when the CEL is one.

Only scanner that could see any codes was the one at Autozone, and it said:

C1259 HV system regen malfunction
    C1310 Malfunction in HV system
    C1378 Capacitor communication circuit malfunction (there's a capacitor in the HV system? news to me).
    U0123 Lost communication with Yaw Rate sensor.
    U0124 LC with lateral acceleration sensor module.
    U0126 LC with steering angle sensor module.
    U0293 LC with Hybrid Control system.

Their scanners suggestion was 12v battery replacement, but it's fine.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not in the HV system; C1378 is a brake system code. There's a box of capacitors in the brake system, used to keep the brake ECU and actuator alive for a bit in the event of some failure in the 12 volt system. It's in the back of the car, next to the 12 V battery.

The Autozone scanner isn't showing any HV system codes. That's too bad, because we know there are HV system codes, because that's what the C1259 and C1310 from the brake ECU mean.

And the communication codes will need to be attended to, else it's no surprise when things don't act right.

For dealing with communication codes, it's really helpful to have a scan tool that doesn't just show what codes it got, but which ECU sent each code.

There's a thread by mr_guy_mann comparing different scan tools and apps for Gen 2, and indicating which ones can read all the ECUs in the car, and which ones show you which ECUs the codes came from.

5. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll give that a try.

I think it's evident by the randomness that it's a power issue. I checked the voltage at the fuse box under the hood and it seems fine.

I also (this stuff has been happening before this) broke off one of the bolts holding the 12v battery done, which is gonna be fun to fix.

I do remember having to move some wire harnesses out of the way when working on my spark plugs, so it's possible something got messed up there, but I doubt underhood wiring would affect computers in the rear of the car.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There aren't many computers in the rear of the car. Of the codes you have, nothing refers to anything in the rear of the car, except for the box of capacitors.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dr Prius "talks" to the hybrid control and HV battery ecu's on the CAN network- as does the yaw & steering sensors, ABS, power steering (& the gateway) ecu's. What's really interesting is the ECM uses CAN as well.

So something is messing with CAN. I am not sure if your "scantool" is actually connecting with the ECM or not. It can be confusing on a Prius because a hybrid system fault WILL affect emissions and so turns on the MIL (aka, check engine light), but it often won't set any ECM codes, not even a "hey something's wrong with hybrid control ecu" code.

I would expect the ECM to set U codes as well, unless it was the source of the comm fault due to intermittent loss of power or ground.

Hmmm. Might want to look at any ground connections on the engine you could have disturbed or left loose when working there. That could affect the ECM which then can cause comm problems with the ecu's in the (almost) rear of the car.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#7 mr_guy_mann, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  8. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No app shows any active codes. So my handheld scanner (CReader brand) seems to completely blank them out when I reset them using it.

Here are some screenshots from DR Prius. Not sure why the app shows the bar graphs moving up and down like a graphic EQ.
    Fullscreen capture 8152022 84503 PM.bmp.jpg Fullscreen capture 8152022 84520 PM.bmp.jpg

Weirdly..the IR of each module was at a flat 22.0 when I first ran the app after installing the battery.
    The IR of block 10 seems high, but not enough to be of concern (at least to the app). 24 indicates a "minor concern" but the one crappy module out of the other 27 seems to not weight down the whole pack as much. The crappy module during bench testing was located in block 5. My life expectancy per the Dr. Prius app was around 13% before rebuilding the pack. So I'll take 89%, especially on a 14 year old pack.

9. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Changing voltages on Dr Prius is normal, it changes more as you use the HV battery more, (accel, decel, or even sitting still in "ready"). The app has autoscaling for the block voltages that makes the differences appear the same for 0.1V as for 1.5V.

The IR readings start out in a "default" of 19 milliohms when you disconnect the 12V battery. Takes awhile to measure voltage drop and calculate the "actual" IR readings. If one is consistently higher, could be a module, or a connection (hope you cleaned or replaced the busbars and tightened the module studs to 48 inch pounds with a torque wrench). Possibly a corroded voltage sense wire or connector at the ecu.

That said, unless there is a fault with the HV battery ecu or a chassis wiring connection to it, then the HV battery pack is irrelevant to your comm fault.

10. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's strange how smart and how dumb this car's computer systems can be at the same time. All it says on the MFD is "problem" which is rather freaking useless.

I forgot to mention..before I refurbed the battery, when it was going this...all the gears (P, D, etc) would flash as well. It's not doing that now, though.

11. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I might have to just bite the bullet and take it Toyota and pay the diagnostic fee. There's 14 or so computer modules not to mention hundreds of wires and dozens of grounds. I'd rather pay $80 than spend an entire day going through everything.
    Hell..I accidentally knocked my rear cup holder off and there's a module behind IT.

12. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would expect it's going to be more than $80. Usually starts at 1-2 hrs at whatever the shop charges per hour for diagnostic time. And the symptom has to be active when the car is there.

Intermittent network faults can be very challenging to find and fix.

#12 mr_guy_mann, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  13. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wouldn't be as large of an issue if it wasn't putting the car into a limp mode.

If those capacitors fail on the brake control module, could that be causing it? A bad ground would make sense if it was doing this when hitting a bump or something.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They'd give you the C1378 code. They wouldn't give you the HV control ECU codes nobody has retrieved yet. Those will be about something else.

15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Since you recently worked on the 12v battery, I would at least go back to that area and verify everything, including the brake capacitor unit.
    Whenever I swap a 12v, I remove the brake unit to get it out of the way. Did you? If so, perhaps verify the plugs are fully inserted? Mounting bolts in properly? No broken wires at the plugs?

16. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh boy, I'm now even more confused.

Waited until the car did it again, and this time it's worse. There was a couple times the engine cut out as well, complete loss of power for a split second. Not to mention..every time it does this...when I shut the car off, the engine continues to run for 3-5 seconds (like its not connected to anything and is freewheeling).

1st time it did this with my Bluetooth ELM connected, the car scanner app showed P0320 (fault in block 10), as well as P3000 (HV malfunction).

2nd time, it showed P3021 (fault in block 11), as well as P0A80 (replace hybrid battery).

Dr. Prius showed block 10 was at 17.33V when the other blocks were around 16.80V, and 34 mΩ resistance on block 10.

Funny thing is..neither apps showed the U and C series codes the autozone scanner was showing.

Also block 10 would be modules 19 and 20, which showed some of the best capacity and no issues.

The battery that had a crappy capacity would be module 10, on block 5.

So will the brake and VSC lights appear on the dash if the hybrid battery is acting up?

I'm to the point where I might just replace the entire battery, but I don't want to throw good money after bad if something else is doing this.

Is it possible that communication failures can "invent" problems with the hybrid battery?

Why can't my two code scanner apps as well as my Creader handheld scanner see these U and C series codes?

Also to clarify..it was doing this non sense BEFORE I touched the HV and 12V batteries. So it's not something simple like a nut being loose on a bus bar or anything.

#16 Prius92, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  17. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I took the cover off the battery (with the orange plug removed ofc) and found that the orange main wires on the battery side of the contactors (relays) were very loose, almost falling off. I must of hand tightened these absentmindedly and didn't use a ratchet.

So a loose connection can definitely cause high resistance. It's possible the codes autozone found might not even be part of the red triangle.

I'm checking all the bus bar nuts too.

18. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great..just great..when tightening up the bus bar, somehow an arc was struck despite not being between two points of voltage.
    Two bus bars went poof, and one module melted, and the other..the bolt broke off when taking the bus bar off.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is an excellent lesson for future readers.

When wrenching on bus bar nuts, every two adjacent modules that are not connected by a bar, on the side you're looking at, are connected by a bar, on the side you're not looking at, and between any such two nuts you can strike an arc at any time.

The repair manual wants you to do all such work with your sockets wrapped in electrical tape, or otherwise insulated. It's a very good suggestion.

tracy ing likes this.
  20. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I think the arc occurred between two modules and the seat frame. The hybrid battery assembly is supposed to be isolated from the car's ground/sheet metal so this exact thing doesn't happen, so I'm kind of stumped on how it even happened.

Here is some carnage. One module looks somewhat usable, but am afraid the pressure sealing integrity has been compromised since the plastic is warped around the terminal area. Surprisingly there was no voltage reading lost compared to other modules despite a high amperage arc event. In completely melted the inside of my ratchet, burnt my finger (it's not that bad, but hurt), and melted the crap out of the bus bar, you can see where a bead of it melted through the side of one module and rested on a small area like a bead of solder.

So now I need 3 new modules plus the entire wire frame, which is $86 from Toyota.

Fullscreen capture 8162022 60811 PM.bmp.jpg Fullscreen capture 8162022 60840 PM.bmp.jpg