1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't get above 35mpg- something wrong?

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by rabadia, Apr 16, 2012.

1. rabadia

rabadia New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for everyone's comments. We have only taken one trip on mainly level ground thus far (30 miles out, 30 miles back). My spouse drove one way and I drove the other. We did not reset our trip meter, but the overall average of 34.7 didn't change. The rest of our trips have been the "normal" commute down our little mountain at 1000 ft. into the city and back up.

I brought up my HCH (manual by the way in case that adds any info) just to say that we are not new to driving a hybrid, not to claim some hypermiling pro status, and to give an idea of our current normal mileage. Just to reiterate, I'm not bashing the V (we love it). I am just asking if others in hilly areas have a similar experience.

Also, is the Power mode button be best to use on the uphills IN TERMS OF MILEAGE? We haven't been using it because I assumed that was for people who wanted that "feeling" of a powerful acceleration (see definition in manual below). We have been trying to drive with the Eco button pushed because I thought, "I don't need the feeling of peppy acceleration if that gets me better mileage and I can still get up the hill ok."

On Power mode: Manual says, "Use when high levels of response and feeling are desirable, such as when driving in mountainous regions or when overtaking."

Thanks for any other helpful advice.
    Robin

2. justana

justana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I live in San Diego, and my house is in the middle of mountain area. I got frustrated when i noticed i lost 5 MPG within ONLY 1/3 mile uphills (8-10% grade), then I re-route through different road. It's longer road but not too bad uphills (2-3% grade), and it helps me saving gas still....

3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Robin -

Eco/Normal/Power mode is a throttle mapping difference. The full power is still available in all 3 modes, it's just a matter of the "feedback" you get from the car based upon the how far the pedal travels.

Power mode gives a faster response, in the sense that you don't have to apply as much "pressure" to the pedal to attain the power sooner.

I know there's much better explanations of that than what I just typed up, but it does nothing more than re-mapping the output vs input movement distance (how far the pedal moves). However, I have noticed that it feels like it regens a little less aggressively in PWR mode on my 2010 Prius than it does in Normal mode, and also that it tends to require MORE brake pedal movement for additional braking power.

Try driving in POWER for awhile on your trips, and see if you are getting better MPG or not.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is taking longer to accelerate in ECO mode then you need to press down on the pedal more. :p You don't get more power in the other modes.

5. StockBlak11

StockBlak11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I live on a 10% grade and have to drive 0.6 miles up it to get into my driveway. Depending on how long I've driven the tank (for an example, I'll hypothetically say I've driven it from 100% full to 50% full) and how aggressively I've driven on it, (I'll give an example of 49.5 MPG at the bottom of the hill), I'll drop about 0.5 MPG going up hill. You'd think I'd get it back going to the bottom of the hill, but that's not the way it works, oddly enough. If I haven't driven the tank for more than 3 to 5 miles total, I can go from 60 MPG to 23 MPG in that short trip. If I've driven the tank from full to almost empty, I barely lose anything ... maybe a tenth of a mile MPG.

But your original post makes me think something else is wrong. You never go OVER 35 MPG? That's just plain old weird. Are you still having these problems? If so, go to the dealer and SCREAM -- make lots of noises like "expensive piece of s**t" at the top of your lungs -- I would. Were it not for the vastly superior MPG numbers I get, I'd sell this car -- it's not the driveability dream I keep having :)

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you really saving gas by taking a longer route? Have you measured or computed the amount of gas each route takes?

Just because the shorter route produces lower MPG doesn't mean it requires more fuel.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When you are driving downhill, are you using B or D? By the way, you should never need to use B around Portland, even coming down the hill on 26.

Does the engine turn off at stoplights?

8. mattheikkila

mattheikkila New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I live in the the east bay area and work in the Oakland hills. When I'm not working I can easily get 47, but otherwise I have to work to get 44, and it's evened out so far to 45. I more or less go up and down the Oakland hills multiple times per work day, and when I'm climbing the steep hills I get about 10-15mpg on the instantaneous readout, then coasting back down I'm essentially getting infinite, so I figure it averages out on those to 20-30. It's better in the milder or more moderate hills, and so it bumps up the averages a bit, but depending on what those hills are like and how often you climb them 35 doesn't sound insane.

9. samyul

samyul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius v3 has just over 300 miles on it, and I'm averaging 38.8 mpg. First time in a hybrid, so still getting used to the slow acceleration.

10. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Have you looked into hybrid driving techniques? Catgic has a website with a lot of tips. This video helped me a lot:
    http://m.youtube.com/index?#/results?q=hybrid driving techniques

Assuming Spring has sprung for you it should improve as weather gets warmer. I have gone up a lot. W

11. stanny101

stanny101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Group! Stan from San Diego. Just got a Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon)5 without ATP on April 4th. On April 8th, took off on a trip to Lake Tahoe and back with 4 adults and gear. Quite a break- in trip and despite the load and the mountain terrrain, averaged a little over 41 mpg. But the "Eco Light" in the far left side, the one that acts like an old vacuum guage light, is just not there anymore. I've tried every button and read the manual, but I can't activate it. Besides a burned out bulb, is there anyway to test it or turn it on? Thanks.

12. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Are you in D or B mode on the shifter???????????????????????

13. 2011priusMIke

2011priusMIke Usually tinkering w/something.

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2011 Prius and have driven it for over a year.
    I have seen various changes in mileage due to the fuel I use.
    One stations gas gives me as much as +3 Mpg per tank over another station.
    I believe it's the level of ethanol which varies per manufacturer. Who really knows.

I would change fuel, check tire pressure and make sure the trunk is empty.

If that doesn't work, take the wheel covers off so it looks faster. ;-)

Best of luck to you.

14. Osteoblast

Osteoblast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1 person likes this.
  15. soup kitchen

soup kitchen New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did a test drive in the hilly/mountain areas around where I live a couple of days ago. Yes the Prius sucks in this type of terrain as do other 4 cylinder vehicles. I am glad I do not have to drive in that terrain everyday

16. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 Prius IV with a little over 34,000 miles and have calculated miles per gallon (mpg) with every fuel fill up since I got the car in July of 2009. With the exception of five fill ups where the tank wasn't filled all the way I have never averaged less than 50 mpg combined driving. During yearly trips from New York to Florida and back I usually average around 55 mpg.
    Yesterday for the first time we traveled west on Route 80 and through Pennsylvania and across the Appalachian Mountains.
    The temperature was in the low ninety's and I was shocked at my first fill up in Ohio when I calculated only 47.2 mpg. The lowest mpg I ever got with my Prius .
    I thought something was wrong with the car, but after reading all these replies about what steep hills do to Prius fuel consumption I now feel quite relieved that my car doesn't have a problem. Besides the steep hills, I'm sure that the elevated temperature contributed to the lower mpg.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    High temperatures are great for mpg because of reduced rolling resistance and air density. It's the use of AC in those high temps that kill MPG. :)

18. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are correct about lower air resistance or drag, but you have less "air" going into the cylinders and therefore less power output. Just as jet engines, the denser the air (cold temps at higher altitudes) the more efficient the engine operates.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It just doesn't work with respect to fuel efficiency. Horsepower yes, fuel efficiency no. In the end, the net result is higher fuel efficiency due to many factors. I watch this every day on my commute. My best tanks are when it is over 100F. :)

Colder air is more oxygen dense but at higher altitudes oxygen density is decreased due to reduce pressure.

20. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Chat member BlauerClaus published charts (for the Gen III Prius) showing the affects of speed and temperature with and without air-conditioning on mpg. There is a significant drop off in MPG due to the lower density of the air once the air temperature goes above 90 degrees F.
    His post can be found at: Fuel Economy diagram with and without Air Condition | PriusChat