1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't get into my 2004 Prius. Help!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MVhelpme, May 21, 2013.

1. MVhelpme

MVhelpme New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two months ago my 12 volt battery died, but I didn't need to deal with it then, so the car has been sitting out front of my home. When I tried to unlock the door this week using the SKS, it didn't work. I removed the key from the fob, inserted it into the door and turned the key, but the door didn't unlock. I need to push this car into my driveway by today to avoid another city violation (don't ask!) but I can't get in the car to put in it neutral, assuming I can put the car in neutral without power once I get inside. Please help!!

2. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    U need to get 12 volts to start the computers to start the car to get it in neutral.

3. MVhelpme

MVhelpme New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was afraid of that. Thanks!

4. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The mechanical key will not unlock the door? Never heard of this before. Doesn't sound right. Baffling!

5. MVhelpme

MVhelpme New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Am I unable to unlatch the hood from the outside of the car? I am obviously not a car person!

6. MVhelpme

MVhelpme New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I heard no unlocking sound when I turned the key, and it only turned one direction. The door handle did not open the door. I tried it several times. I feel like a total idiot!

7. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    U need to get in the car to open the motor area.

8. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turn your key with force into other direction, as the direction which you just mentioned is incorrect. You will need to focus and use good amount of power from your fingers.

You will not hear unlocking sound as the central lock is powered by electrical current (which you don't have).

You are doing it almost correctly however your first attempt was turn in opposite way (the easy way), now you need to try the opposite way.
    You need to turn tiny key from the fob, by doing it manually (as you did, but with tiny more bit of force at the end to push the lever).

Your lock will open as the key will release the lock.

Try one way and if it doesn't open then try other way (do not touch door handle while turning the key as this will prevent the idea) - the way which is harder to turn is the correct way to open the lock (turn your key in this way).

Try again.

- once you get into the car open the hood, then remove the fuse box cover (then get jumpers) then connect other car to red + at the fuse box and the negative - to the metal nut at the top side of the of the shock absorber.

charge your prius from other car, in few minutes you will be able to get into ready mode.

Then you will be grand.

Replace 12v battery to yellow optima.

koolingit likes this.
  9. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    HUGE warning!!! When you jump your battery or jump points, make absolutely certain you connect positive to positive and then negative to the strut bolt. DO NOT connect them backwards. A split second of wrong connection could cost you 4 figures!!!

10. MVhelpme

MVhelpme New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to get in the car and change out the battery. Thanks for everyone's help!!

11. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Great news! How did you get in?

12. MVhelpme

MVhelpme New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found the second fob and that key worked like a charm.

Agape likes this.