1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't get Ipod to show up on display

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by leneal, Feb 22, 2013.

1. leneal

leneal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just got a 2012 c3, and I'm trying to get my iPod Nano (4th gen) to show up on the display as an iPod, controlable from the steering wheel and display. The manual says this iPod model is compatible. The iPod software is up to date.

If I plug my iPod into the AUX with a standard audio cable, it plays over the speakers fine but the display shows only "aux" and has no controls for it. If I plug it into the USB with an Apple cable, it doesn't plays over the speakers at all, and the USB doesn't show up as active on the display -- it's grayed out. I tested the cable elsewhere and confirmed it's fine.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

2. Further

Further Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm going to assume that to see your iPod you will need to plug in the USB cable instead of using the aux port.

3. leneal

leneal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I figured as much. Just can't figure out why it doesn't register at all when plugged into the USB port.

4. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Does the device get power from the port? Have you tried a thumb drive with a few files to make sure the port is working? Could be a loose connection as one possibility. Also try a different cable.

5. leneal

leneal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Great suggestion; thank you!

I've already tried two different Apple cables without success. So I tried a thumb drive with mp3s on it just now, and that worked perfectly (sound and controls).

So I'm figuring at this point that the issue is related to cable or iPod model compatibility, though I'm at a loss as to how (since the gen is compatible and the two cables I tried are OEM).

6. leneal

leneal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm thinking now it is definitely the iPod software. Tried connecting an iPhone to the USB, and it came up as an iPod and worked fine. Since the software on my iPod is current, I'm stumped. Anyone have any suggestions?

7. leneal

leneal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Solved it! I'm recording the solution here, should others ever run into this.

If all else fails, reboot the iPod. (On the 4th gen, you do this by holding down the Menu and center button at the same time, until the Apple logo appears.) I am guessing that, in the plugging and unplugging, I must have 'confused' the iPod, and it stopped communicating through the cable. After a reboot, perfection.

Thank you MBRGuru and Further for your help.

8. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Glad to hear you got it working. Yeah, at times even the almighty Apple products get borked and need a reset :) .