1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't get remote A/C to heat the cabin

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by eegah, Dec 26, 2017.

1. eegah

eegah Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Using the remote A/C (holding the "Hold A/C" button on the remote until the lights flash) doesn't warm up the cabin of our Prime. The engine seems to come on, but the cabin doesn't seem to be any warmer than the outside temperature when we get in. The fan certainly isn't blowing. The A/C is set to "Auto" with the temperature set to 70F. The car is plugged into the Level 1 (120V) charger on the maximum current setting.

Remote pre-heating works great on my Volt. What are we doing wrong? Is it just that it is too cold outside (it was about 15-20F last night) for the Prime?

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have never gotten it to work either.

eegah likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you giving the ICE enough time to warm up? In Auto mode, the fan will not come on until there is enough heat in the engine coolant to do some good. Why blow cold air around the cabin! And the "heat pump" function may not even try to come on below freezing. I may be thinking of the old "freon" based systems, but A/C compressors would not engage below freezing temps.

4. bill188

bill188 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I get it to work at home with and without having it plugged in but I can't get it to work away from home with a near full charge with all the doors locked. Would love any feedback. I know I'm doing something wrong.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    14°F (-10°C) is about the limit for the heat pump system in the Prime. Below that, the engine will run for heat. It's possible that the heat pump cannot produce enough heat. (so that's why the engine ran).

Also, if the engine is running at those temps, the automatic climate control won't run the fan until the engine has enough heat to actually blow luke warm air. If the engine has to run, you'll have to let it run for longer to actually build up heat. It will also take longer than any other car since it's 40% thermally efficient so... it produces the least amount of waste heat lol)

eegah likes this.
  6. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Try setting it not on Auto heat. Manual, no more than 65 degrees F, and fan no higher than 2. This must be set before you turn the car off and try the remote again. As mentioned, cold weather affects if this will work, and charge level also makes a difference.

Ed From Syracuse likes this.
  7. PriusPrime4849

PriusPrime4849 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've had no problem using Remote Climate via the Entune app to preheat the car, provided it is plugged in and fully charged (I generally select Max Heat and Front Defrost On). Preheating in this way will use the heat pump without turning on the engine. At an outside temperature of 12 F, a single 10 minute preheat cycle gets the interior warm enough to be comfortable if I wear a coat and gloves. At colder temperatures, two cycles may be required.

While driving, I use the steering wheel heater and/or the seat heater with the AC fan set to OFF, and find that the engine does not come on as long as the battery has enough charge to run in EV mode. The load from the steering wheel heater is very small, resulting in an AC load of 2% or so.

Using the Level 1 EVSE which comes with the car, it will typically need to recharge for about 14-20 minutes after preheating. A level 2 EVSE would probably need minimal recharge time, if any.