1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cant get title/ registration to 2009 prius after payoff

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Caldwell, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live in Texas. I bought a. Texas registered 2009 Prius, i think in 2014, from an elderly couple. They gave me the clear title to car. Ran carfax on car, and it showed no problems at all ...no wrecks, no brands. It was first owned by a Texas rental agency that kept a few months. Then it was sold at auction to a big wholesaler in N. Texas. And then they sold it to the. Elderly couple i bought it from. It was bank financed 60 mo. .....so i sent the bank the Title. I should have, but never got a red title.
    I paid the car off early this year. After a. Month went by, i had not received the title. The bank said they mailed it out long ago....so i ended up applying for a duplicate title from the Texas DMV.
    I got a letter back from the dmv stating that they could not issue a title on the car, and it could never be registered because the title is branded "non-repairable". What????? So i checked carfax again. NOW it shows that at the time the car was auctioned to the wholesaler, this non- repaiable brand was put on the title. (But it was't there...not back when I bought the car). Autofax gave it the "all clear" green light back then!
    I called a lady with the DMV and she claims that nothing can be done to remove the erroneous non-repairable brand. By law once a car has a salvage or non-repairable brand on its title, it can NEVER be removed from title and be registered again. They are telling me it must have been wrecked and so its unsafe to drive it on public roads. But the car still looks and drives like new, theres not a thing wrong with it! In fact i did a lot of mechanic work on it, and would have seen signs of any major wreck!
    Right after talking directly to the dmv, the registration expired, and its been sitting unused with a car cover on it for a few months now. I had to buy a replacement car as it was an essential commute vehicle.
    Question is....if this non-repairable brand was put on the car (really) at time in 2010 when rental agency bought it, then how did the people i bought it from get it titled and successfully renew their registration for 4 years? And i had no problem renewing registration for 5 years!
    So the Texas DMV has effectively STOLEN my vehicle, because of some branding error which was apparently their fault! A car still woth a few thousands, but value now reduced to near-zero. Worse yet, I cant part it out.... am not even supposed to have a non-running vahicle on my property, because its an insurance underwriters policy violation! What to do? No, its not an option to move to another state where such a brand can be changed. My recent inspection should serve as proof that the car is actually roadworthy. But the DMV says it makes no difference, they still can change the non-repairable brand. Stupidest thing I ever heard of!

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like time to sue,

also should be able to sue the underwriters for banning non-running cars,
    that shouldn’t even be a thing

too much overreach in this society, with laws that say if this one rule is violated they can have your car crushed.

dubit and SFO like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You NEED a lawyer.

But the cost of doing that might be more than the car is worth.
    I think a salvage yard would LOVE to have it......and might be able to help with the title problem too.

Good luck.

dubit and Elektroingenieur like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! Things like this can really happen? I am so sorry, but I don't know what to say. Yeah, you need a lawyer for this, but the cost may be not worth it. Please keep us updated on whatever happens to your case.

5. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The only thing I can think of is letting your local representative know about this.
    Perhaps it was just an error with the vin number or perhaps it was fraud internally.
    Whether with the DMV, the auction or the wholesaler

However, im sure nothing would come out of it, and to do anything with a meaning
    would require a HUGE amount of money with a lawyer.

Sorry that this happened.
    Maybe someone has been thru this before or can give better insight to what can be done.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems odd that a bank/finance company would loan on a vehicle/title if it was not loanable, or had 'no real value' if repossessed. Curious if there was a "title search", a CarFax, or some other type of "title insurance" that they omitted from their lending process. You might start at the bottom, as they took 60 months of payments from you.

One would assume that if you (or a business) paid for a CarFax, then CarFax should cover the errors and omissions issue. Though this randomly searched article reads otherwise.

Here is the CarFax Buy Back Guarantee (and fine print) : The CARFAX® Buyback Guarantee®

Reading the CarFax fine print reveals this small snippet, and claims CarFax has an out :

Specifically excluded from the definition of "Branded Title" for the purposes of this CARFAX Buyback Guarantee are:
    • titles originally issued without a brand but later stamped with a brand without being reissued;
    • salvage titles issued due to theft;
    • damage disclosure documents and Branded Titles issued in error and later corrected.
    Try sending CarFax support your concerns, and inquire about : "I would like to learn more information about a vehicle’s history, such as the names of the previous owners or more details about an accident or damage event".

They may not give you the prior chain of ownership details, but you might find out who reported the branded title and when. Then contact the State Attorney General (and related governing agencies to the above ownership chain that included the rental company, the wholesaler/auction house, and your finance company) and see what can be done, as this sounds like shananigans on the part of the rental company (or their insurance carrier if they knew about the accident or subsequent branded title requirement), the wholesaler or auction house (was is sold as-is or otherwise?), or the bank finance division (for lack of due diligence, etc). When all is said or done, one (or all) of these entities should at the very least have a bad mark placed in their files, or at the extreme have any appropriate licensing removed.

CarFax might also be interested (even if they have no interest in making good on the situation), as one or more of the above parties most likely had a CARFAX business subscription at each stage of sale.

In addition to heeding this excellent advice :
    Also consider making contact with one of the local TV news outlets who promote consumer protection and investigation, some in the San Antonio or Houston area might be called "On your side".

Please let us know how this turns out.

#6 SFO, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Montgomery, Raytheeagle and dig4dirt like this.
  7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    E699D6BD-6072-4EB0-B1F5-59812E3DA7ED.jpeg In Wisconsin if you buy a car in good faith but someone upstream committed fraud you just
    Contact the Madison DMV and open a case
    Fill out the form
    send proof you bought the car
    And months later you get to have license plates but no title

the buyer is not held liable

Hmmm

[email protected]

TxDMV.GOV - Contact

#7 Rmay635703, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know how the laws work in Texas, but this is where I see the fraud against you occurring... The bank has an accomplice at the DMV that tampers with your title and gets it illicitly changed to non-repairable brand, then the car is paid off and once you give up, the bank has a scam planned to reclaim the vehicle, then they get the title restored to the original one and sells your car. With the way they give out car loans these days, this bank could make alot of money with a scam like this.

If you can hire a private investigator to research this, then if it starts to look like what happened, time to Lawyer up. For starters get as much dirt as possible on the bank. Scams like this are not easy to hide if you know how to look for them.

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious, how does this scheme work? The car is paid off. Even if the bank is in it, how can the bank "reclaim" the vehicle from the current owner?

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like I said, I don't know the laws and loopholes related to title fraud, but the bank doesn't make a loan on a bad title... Yet this bank not only didn't mail a red title, but it also claims that the title after the loan was paid off was lost in the mail and when the lost title claim was denied by the DMV, the bank still owns the vehicle, still holds the original title to the vehicle even though legally the bank has to release the title because the loan is paid off. But they found a way to not do this by committing title fraud with the DMV. At some point the bank is going to move on the second part of the scam and get the car that they own back from the person who paid for it and get the erroneous designation wiped from the record. Or maybe it's just a spiteful employee at the bank who hates Prius owners?

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lastly, the bank doesn't really need the vehicle, as long as they fail to return a valid title once the car is paid off and ensure that the title can't be changed, they can keep using the value of that title in their fraudulent bookeeping schemes...

12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    @sam spade 2 makes a good suggestion to get legal advice. Whether the problem was an administrative error at the Texas DMV or fraud by the sellers of the car, there may be deadlines for filing a suit or claim.
    That’s just not so, and the Texas DMV’s Salvage/Nonrepairable Motor Vehicle Manual (PDF) has an entire chapter (“Replacements, Errors, and Innocent Purchasers”) describing the various ways in which mistakes can be corrected. See especially section 8.5, starting on page 8-5 (PDF page 69). There is also a procedure for a hearing before the county assessor-collector, and a further appeal to a court, within a very short deadline; see Texas Transportation Code section 501.052, but see also sections 501.0521 and 501.110.

It would be helpful if you had a copy of the certificate of title you received from the previous owners, showing that there was no “salvage,” “non-repairable,” or similar brand on the title at the time you bought the car. If you don’t have a copy, perhaps the bank could furnish one, even if you have to pay them a fee to search their records; it’s not unusual for documents like that to be scanned or microfilmed.

This wouldn’t be an original, of course, nor conclusive proof of anything, but I imagine it could at least motivate Texas DMV to confirm their records, rather than just accepting whatever has been entered into the computer. You could write to the Texas DMV, asking them to explain their position. Can they tell you who applied to change the title to nonrepairable and when, or better yet, produce a copy of the application form (VTR-441, Application for Salvage or Nonrepairable Vehicle Title) and the supporting documentation submitted by the applicant?

13. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I once went to a junkyard....

Grabbed a VIN# off an old parts car. Used that VIN for the one I needed titled. Not implying this is the right thing to do.... I was a kid then.

dig4dirt and SFO like this.
  14. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I’ve never registered a car in Texas, but in many other states a salvage title does not prevent you from registering or operating a vehicle. The branding of the title is permanent, but usually all it means is reduced resale value and higher insurance premiums for the remaining life of the vehicle.

So…

First doublecheck the ramifications of a Texas salvage title. Why else would such a title exist if the vehicle couldn’t be used as a vehicle?

Then get your local attorney general involved.

16. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I dont think this is a case of a fraud scheme to get the car back....no way. It's Navy Federal Credit Union. Have dealt with them for many years. And had two prior car loans financed by them with no problems. Unless the bank failed to do a title search on the car VIN i told them i was buying, and i got an incorrect title report from carfax, (or was somehow incomplete), not showing this brand when car was new.....this non-repairable brand was erroneously attached to the title history at some point after i bought car in 2014. I dont think i can save the car from being sold off to salvage yard as is. I'm elderly but working long hours on long commute. I definitely think it would indeed cost more for lawyer and legal battle than the car is worth because its beyond my ability to fight this without an expert. Wont get anywhere with carfax since i dont have a print out of the report from 2014 which didn't show a brand on the title. But thanks all!

17. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Before you throw in the towel, take 10 minutes to call your local representative office
    to give them the story, and they could at least say they can or can't do anything for you.
    Seems like it may be worth the 5 to 10 minutes.

I am leaning towards internal error somewhere.

There may or not have been fraud ....almost doesnt matter, but could help pinpoint the reason,
    which may help along getting it straightened out.

*someone is in an accident, gets totaled, insurance pays out, someone collects money, someone collects car,
    someone fixes car. title never updates or gets recorded, car gets sold at wholesaler, auction, whomever,

*or who knows, maybe car was never in accident, but with a few people in the line fraud may
    have been collecting a "totaled" car payout and then getting rid of the evidence before the title finally updates
    before being sold to final owner? seems like a stretch but never know

Title finally catches up way back when, but doesnt get found out until a transfer or duplicate request occurs.

Fraud or no Fraud?
    It is your call if you want the car or not.

SFO likes this.
  18. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    For starters call the state dmv (not your local one)

ive been through a similar situation in Wisconsin,

the local dmv lied, and didn’t understand the law.

I bypassed them and called the state dmv told them I suspected that some type of error or even fraud occurred.

it took months, 3 phone calls and 3 sets of paperwork and I got my license plates in the mail after they figured out there was fraud committed between a dealer and a auction house.

at no time did I spend money or get an attorney (besides postage)

The DMV takes fraud and notary errors seriously and will pursue it for you if you contact the correct entity.

DO NOT BEND OVER AND TAKE IT.

Fill out the forms and be a little noisy first, also don’t bother with the local DMV, past experience says they know about as much as the Walmart greeter on legal matters.

PriusCamper, SFO and dig4dirt like this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't overlook the actual Texas procedures that Elektroingenieur posted in #12. At least be sure to find out what those deadlines are.

20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe there's more to the story... But Navy Federal Credit Union approved a loan for a car with a clean title. Then they failed to send the owner a red title until the loan was paid off, then they failed to send the title to the vehicle after the loan was paid off and claimed it was lost in the mail. Then when the owner tries to file for a lost title suddenly the car no longer has a clean title?

If this is what's really happened and it was my car I'd be camping out at the credit union and refusing to leave until they took responsibility for fixing this problem and if they refuse, I'd pull out state laws related to title fraud and explain that I need as much information as possible because I"d like to explain to their Board Of Directors that the person in charge of the auto loan department has in effect stolen your car at worst, or gave a loan for a car without a valid title at best. Make heads roll until they fix it! This is their fault on so many levels!

#20 PriusCamper, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019