1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't import 2008 Prius into Canada - why

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by georgekessel, Dec 15, 2007.

1. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I successfully imported my 2008 Prius from the US to Canada. No problem with the engine immobilizer. I took it to Canadian Tire for the federal inspection and safety check. There was no need for an emissions check since it's a hybrid. I got my Ontario plates within a week. :)

2. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Beach247,

Glad you made it to Canada with your Prius. Welcome!:canada: ... now see if you can get the Ontario sales tax rebate. (did you pay duty and taxes?)

3. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the welcome banner! :)

I didn't pay duty and taxes. So, I guess I have nothing to claim for the rebate. Is my understanding correct?

If you see a Silver Pine Mica with California plates, that's probably me! Is there a GTA Prius greet and meet?

4. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Beach247: I'm a bit confused... how can you import a vehicle to Canada without paying duty + GST (and PST where applicable)?

RIV won't provide you with paperwork unless they receive paperwork attesting to GST/duty paid.

and how come you still have California plates? Importing a vehicle means you have local plates...

5. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I imported my '08 Prius from AZ late March 08. Manufacture date after Sept 07.
    No issues registering. recieved Provincal ECO rebate, initially rejected for FED rebate due to paper work issue, still waiting on re-submission.
    I have a broker if you need assistnace.

6. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a first time "landed" immigrant/settler, I was exempt from duty and taxes. I only paid the RIV fee of $204.75 ($195 + GST), safety inspection at Canadian Tire for $90.30 and car registration at the Ministry of Transportation for $112.50 (good for 14 months).

Other incidental expenses I paid were the DRLs at an aftermarket store for $197.75 and my Ontario driver's licence for $75 (good for 5 years).

I already received my Ontario license plates last week. But, I'm still driving with California plates.

7. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Beach247,

Your understanding is correct about no rebate if you didn't have to pay the tax. I'll watch out for the silver pine mica w/ Ca plates. Which part of the GTA are you in?

GTA Prius meet-up group (from a prior search): http://prius.meetup.com/7/

Gabe

8. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for clarifying.

Too bad I hadn't thought about importing a vehicle after moving to Canada... :)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How are the DRLs set up? Are these add-on lights or are existing lights used? If existing, are the fog lights used for this purpose?

10. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius 07, I'm in Ajax. But, been driving all over the GTA - downtown, Scarborough, North York, etc. Where are you? I'll check out the link you gave me.

Orenf, it was a great deal. However, if I sell my car within a year from my landing date, I would have to pay for all the duty and taxes that were originally waived.

11. beach247

beach247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Per the RIV, the DRLs can be the headlights or parking lights or fog lights. If you want to do it yourself, you can buy DRL kits for less than $50. I was just too busy with my move that I didn't have the time to do it myself.

At the aftermarket place, I don't really know what they did. They used my parking lights. But, they must have tampered with the electrical. It's not a simple switch since the Toyota dealer here in Canada could not easily do it. When I open my hood, I don't see any DRL kits, so I don't really know what they did. As far as I'm concerned, I passed the federal inspection. That's all I care about. :)

Daytime Running Light Modules Conversion Kit Custom Turn Signals Head Lamps DRLs
    WebElectric Products - Sequential Turn Signals, 2005 2006 2007 2008 Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, One Touch Convertible Top, Dynamite Stick, One Touch Turn Signals, Dayti
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...urn-signal-drl-installation-instructions.html

12. damuffin

damuffin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I read that you can mod the fog light relay and have them turn on with startup. this is simple and cheap;)