1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't Install Transmission Seal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 05priusDad, Oct 18, 2017.

1. 05priusDad

05priusDad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have to replace the driver's side CV axle on my 05 Prius (long story, my fault). Anyhow, I'm trying to replace the transmission seal and I CAN'T GET THE NEW SEAL IN!!!! Of course, I feel like the seal isn't the right size, but I'm sure it's just me being dumb.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a driver that I have to use to press it in? From my perspective, the lip that slides into the tranny flares out, making it even harder to press in. I'm stuck on this one after a couple of days of knuckle-busting. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    One trick used in the motorcycle world on tough wheel bearing seals is to put the bearing in a zip lock bag and place in the freezer for 24hrs to slightly constrict its size and, in especially tough instances, also heat up the wheel hub with a torch to expand it. They usually go right in after that. Use the old bearing placed on top of the new bearing to pound in if necessary.

edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Love the freezer trick. That works on bolts too with freeze spray you cant get out of the engine.

Like JC said hope your using the factory seal. I would not attempt to do it with after market crap. Yes I think it needs a driver to get it in a SST toyota tool.

To the op go on toyotatechinfo.com and rent a one day sub to the factory manual its pretty cheap. Get your printer ready to go. See what the procedure is. Driver and bore needs lubrication and don't scratch the bore or your screwed.

#4 edthefox5, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the old one leaking?

Most seals can be driven in with a piece of PVC pipe, a 2x4 or 4x4 trimmed to allow it to fit, or even a large socket. You MUST press it in on the outer edge or flange of the seal, any pressure in the inner area will damage the seal.