1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't Jump Start 2011 Prius with Lithium Jump Starter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by uncertain235, Feb 15, 2021.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    could be, or maybe you didn't press 3 times the first time?

my patio heater came from tacklife, so it's unlikely they make anything, or have tech people.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for that link. I keep remembering very similar results that were posted on here years back, or maybe by hobbit, but never being able to find it when I want it.

As you saw this time for yourself, having the aux battery disconnected doesn't pose any problem by itself. The car doesn't care where its twelve volts are coming from. In dire circumstances, you might even want to disconnect the dead aux battery first. The reason: you only need 90 amp-seconds to get the car started, but the dead aux battery might slurp a lot more than that out of your jump pack before you even have a chance to slide behind the wheel and push the button. You can always hook the aux battery back up after the car is READY, and the DC/DC converter will take care of supplying its appetite.

One downside to doing that is the likelihood of a decent spark when you reconnect the aux battery. All the normal cautions about that from jumping traditional cars apply here too.

So far, I've never bothered disconnecting the aux battery first, and mostly haven't needed to. One time it did slurp everything out of the jump pack before I could start the car, and I had to go back indoors and recharge the jump pack, and had success on the next try.

I have been known to pull brake pump fuses or relays first, and replace those once the car is going.

I don't think the 30 second limit on the boost connection is much of a problem, unless for some reason it takes you longer than that to get behind the wheel and push the button.

Sometimes you do seem to have to try to go READY two or three times in a row, after the power has been out.

The one time I remember that 30 second limit was really a problem was when I was trying to talk an elder though jumping a Prius, over the phone. "You found the boost button? Good, press that. Now I need you to get right into the car. You're in the car now? Good. First you need to press the brake. The brake. Good. Now push the ... wait. Have to get back out of the car. Find the boost button?"

That was painful.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your test method was REALLY BAD.
    People tried to tell you that but you didn't listen.
    You are lucky that you didn't "blow" some of the electronics.

Those small jumpers are designed to work with a weak battery in place; not for a battery that is missing or disconnected.
    When you push the "boost" button, the voltage goes up and might damage circuits when you try to start .
    You got lucky.
    Others, maybe with a different brand of charger, might not be so lucky.

iskoos likes this.