1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't open hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryanpl, Jun 27, 2011.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most hood latches fail from lack of lubrication. I would bet yours was bone dry.

WD40 is a terrible lubricant many better products on the market. Incredibly stinbky and very thin. Basically kerosene. I have found PB Blaster CSP to be the best. Its a spray grease much thicker than WD40 and does not have the horrible smell of WD40. You can find it at Home Depot.

Spray the hood latch
    Rear hatch latch and hinges
    Door hinges
    Hood hinges
    Door jam latches
    The steering universal joint in the cabin
    Drivers side door key hole You think the hood latch sucks lose the fob and try to get in the drivers side door using manual key and find
    the door lock rusted shut as it has never been used for 10 years.

And I spray the suspension down too. No sqeeks no rust anywhere.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If it’s cold where you live, don’t use anything that thick to lubricate the lock. When it gets bellow -18c or 0F that thick of a lubricant can make it impossible to use the lock. Lock oil or gun oil is a lot better lubricant for lock.

Best is to test (and maybe ad lubricant) at least once a year. At least here it’s included in the maintenance schedule.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do you know how thick it is ?

Its not thick at all. Just thicker than WD40 which is basically kerosene.. But if its frozen its better a lubricated frozen than a rusted frozen.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don’t really know that stuff exactly but basically any grease that’s thick enough for door hinge is too thick for locks. But why would you have to choose between wd-40 (which really is water displacement, not a lubricant) and some thick grease (that says it’s a rust protector, not a lubricant). There is better stuff for a specific uses.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the love of god who said it's thick grease. It's slightly more viscous than wd40.
    Wouldn't you at least have seen the stuff before you talk shit about it?

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're right I have not seen it and I don’t know how thick it is. But it’s not possible for something that’s thick enough for door hinge let alone rust protection to be thin enough for lock. So either it’s too thin for door hinge (and especially rust protection) or too thick for door lock.

#26 valde3, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol...

Your right it must be bad. Or wrong. Or wrong and bad,

8. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lest it's not obvious, before assuming the worst (snapped cable), unhook the catch from the under-dash hood lever, and yank the cable end with some pliers.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure that in the nearly ten years that have elapsed, the OP has got it sorted.