1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't remove spare tire...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Threej, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Threej

Threej Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I went to do my once-every-couple-years maintenance check on my spare tire, and came across a problem.

The spare tire is held in place in the wheel well with a bolt (that also holds the jack and wrench stuff in place). That bolt is connected to a circular plastic piece that is supposed to make turning/removing the bolt simple via the lug wrench. See image of the plastic star thingy here.

Well, when I went to turn the plastic piece, it stripped off of the bolt. The plastic piece turns, but the actual bolt doesn't turn with it. I couldn't think of a way to conservatively work around this.

I think my next step is just to try using a drill/bit extractor directly on the bolt, but that seems pretty high risk/nonrecoverable.

Any other ideas/suggestions on how to get out the spare tire before I go this route?

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Try Vise-Grips first...

bisco likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Let air out of the tire and push downward on the wheel (maybe with a helper) to relieve the strain on the bolt, might be easier to release.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Heat The plastic part with your heat gun now grab it with your large channel locks and remove the plastic now take your vice grips and insert them to the piece of metal that was spinning in the plastic take a shot of PB blaster with spray hose work it through one of the wheel slots to threaded hole let stand a few seconds now lefty Loosey the vise grips which are attached to the metal threaded rod Wella

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe you got a water leak or a spill, corroded where the temp spare hold-down bolt threads in? Try to get some spray solvent (WD40 or what have you) on the connection, let it soak, then rap the head of the hold-down bolt (not the plastic surround) with a drift pin an mallet. Might help.

taking air out of the tire may be impossible, with valve stem facing down.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Fair enough. I put an extension hose on mine so I can check/top up the spare without removing it.

I keep forgetting nobody else did that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    perhaps - 'practically' nobody else did that - would be more accurate - thankuverymuch
    our 2nd hand '18 Volt came that way
    ;)
    i'd have otherwise likely not considered it until too late

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I completed the thought, and connected the extension hose to a pressure switch to do the checking, and a compressor to do the topping up.

[​IMG]

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i second vice grips. it looks so pristine in there, hard to believe it stripped.

makes the case for checking the spare more often i guess, and maybe you can grab a salvage part for replacement.

10. Threej

Threej Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I tried vice grips on the plastic handle to grab the bolt more strongly. No luck-- it just warped the plastic more and made it even easier to lose grip.

As noted, I'm not really able to access the tire stem to deflate it, but I"m not sure it would help. There's enough give already that I'm able to turn/shake the tire (bolt doesn't turn with it though.). Likewise, I don't really have access to where the bolt goes into the trunk below to PB blaster it.

The grip is destroyed enough at this point that knocking the bolt with a mallot won't help as there's really no way to turn it once I do.

If I could somehow tear the plastic piece off, I could access the bolt directly with a socket wrench, but its unclear if I can really get it off without some kind of cutting tool.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some kind of heating tool might also work.

12. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just cut away the plastic cap around the head of the hold down bolt with a vibrating cutting tool and remove the tire.

Soak the bottom of the bolt with Liquid Wrench , where it is threaded into the hole and leave it there overnight.

Take out the tire and grip the shank of the bolt with Vise Grips.

Chase out the hole with an M8x1.25 tap or rethreaded tap.

Get a new hold down bolt, and you're done.

#12 Georgina Rudkus, Sep 7, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Before I would go with all that ridiculousness I would try s mapgas type torch because that often loosens stuff up quite well

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where would you be applying the torch flame?

[​IMG]

To the painted body steel boss where the bolt threads in?

If you can even reach there, with the wheel in place?

Threej likes this.
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I might try slipping a putty knife under the grey plastic flange and lining it up for a hard whack from a hammer.

Then blast the grey plastic with an inverted computer duster spray can. A freeze spray; You are trying to make that plastic as cold and brittle as you can... then whack the butt of the putty knife handle with the hammer.

safety_glasses.jpg

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You've already sacrificed the plastic by rotating it round and round and you're rounding out the square hole in the plastic correct something to that effect so now heat it with a heat gun better than a torch till the plastic is almost ready to melt and then lift up on it and pull it off that piece of metal now you can apply your vice grips and some PB blaster because you can get at and see the threads going down into the boss which is on a fitting which is welded to the center or the bottom of the trunk. If you ever get around to the junkyard you can get another gray plastic hold down assembly for free just put a little grease on it before you wump it in there.

17. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd make a stud out of M8x1.25 threaded stainless steel rod and tread it to the center a 3/8'x1' aluminum flat bar machined on a rotary table on a vertical mill with a lip to match the wheel's center hole.

I'd lock the bottom into the bottom hole with a serrated flange nut.

Grabbing the flat bar would allow one to tighten and untighten it like a large wing nut.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    large channelocks

19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think it already works kind of like a large wing nut now with a spacer and the ring to keep it centered if it would just have been kept with a little anti-seize on it this would have never happened I'm guessing that stuff works wonders or having a real full size spare and rotating it that rotation time will always keep that nut working

20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you have water issues back there remove the rubber plug that's closest to the hybrid battery in the spare tire well this way here water will get into the trunk wherever it's coming fall down onto the lower level of the trunk in the spare tire well and naturally run right out the hole that you just opened so water can't puddle get in there high enough to weld the stud on the end of that gray nut into its boss and make a big mess like it has possibly now water in the trunk is very common in these cars so if you make the water pass through at all points where it can get out like the battery tray the space like the battery tray on the other side underneath the plastic tray there's a couple rubber plugs that need to be knocked out so water if it should build up over there passes right through obviously in the battery tray you don't want water building up in the winter and freezing so punch out the plugs there's a couple places you can make a couple strategic 1/4-in holes and then water will pass through perfect.