1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't reset maintenance light

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Boston2008Gen2, Nov 18, 2021.

1. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota's implementation of the TPMS sensor requirement is totally stupid. Other car companies have figured out how to auto-learn the TPMS IDs when you change wheels. Many car companies display the tire pressure on the dashboard.

The requirement for TPMS came from a few cases of Ford Explorers flipping over because of the driver not knowing that their tire pressure was low. I think that was 2002. People started calling them Ford Exploders. By 2008(?), our government decided to protect us from ourselves by requiring TPMS (and Immobilizer chips to prevent car theft).

2. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That part is in the manual, but there are reports that it will actually only work if you can see the animation with the arrows going between the engine, battery, and wheels. Others have said it will only work if you see the energy bar going from CHG on the left to PWR on the right. That's what I meant by the thing you switch using the Disp button on the steering wheel.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The op has a 2012 v wagon and none of the above happens. This is the sequence you see. You have to use the Trip button to see Trip A.

CB6C2040-FAE1-48A7-9D61-7D18C807693A.jpeg

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, our sons Mazda CX-5 for one. And: last time I checked the sensors were $30 CDN apiece, through an online dealership up here.

5. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have 10 Wheel for my Prius v's. Two are Spares that I keep behind my garage, so I don't have to drive on the Donut any longer than I have to. Never had an issue with TPMS sensors going bad on my 2013, yet. However, I find it annoying that I have to use techstream, or pay someone to change the TPMS IDs when I swap wheels.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just checked with our son: he got a snow tire on (Mazda) steel rim package from dealership, and yeah, it came with the proper TPMS sensors. We just put them on a few weeks back, second year for them now, without a thought about the sensors, and it appears to be working properly. They're nice silver-painted steel rims, with proper centre caps and all.

That's night-and-day different than my experience, trying to acquire snow tires on rims for our 2010, in fall of that year. Local-to-me Toyota dealership first told me there were no Toyota steel rims that'd fit, I'd have to go with stock 15" alloy rims (for $350 CDN apiece, without centre caps). They described the Prius as a "flagship vehicle" (whatever the eff that means...), couldn't be seen in steel rims.

I emailed a slew of local dealerships, and one was helpful, said they thought there was a 15" Corolla rim that'd work (for $70 CDN apiece). It did, and they installed them with Michelin X-Ice. When I was at that dealership the mechanic asked "do you want TPMS sensors?", while subconsciously shaking his head "no", lol.

#66 Mendel Leisk, Dec 11, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  7. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was luckier. By July of 2018, I was able to buy 2 used Alloy rims with working TPMS sensors for $60 each including tax and shipping on eBay. I put new tires on those used rims, and rotated out the two of the still original tires as ready spares. I don't drive on donuts if I can possibly help it.

I intended to have two studded snows mounted on the extra rims, but never got around to it. The Prius v has great traction control and ABS, but if the snow is deeper than 5 inches, the car gets stuck because of the enclosed bottom, and low ground clearance.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. AMP

AMP April 2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yup I have used this to reset the maintenance light on my 2012 v type 3

Power up, set to trip A
    Power down
    Hold KPH/MPH button (DO NOT STEP ON BREAK)
    Push power 2 times
    The maintenance light will flash, and then go out.

Tim Jones likes this.