1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't seem to find any tutorial on How to Replace Clockspring/Spiral Cable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bundaddy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Bundaddy

Bundaddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all. I just bought a 2006 Prius and the climate control steering wheel buttons and cruise control does not work but the audio button does. After doing some research I came to the conclusion that the clockspring/spiral cable is at fault.

Please help me find a link, forum or tutorial on how to replace the clockspring cable / spiral cable for a 2nd gen Prius. I can't seem to find one and have been search for about 1hr now. All I can find are forums talking about how they replaced the part and it fixed their issue.

Thanks. Loving the Prius Life So Far <3

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need to buy an oem part to have everything work right. Those are quite expensive.

Easy to change. Disconnect 12v battery, remove steering wheel and then cable

Bundaddy likes this.
  3. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've uploaded the whole manual to my Google Drive. You should find it here:
    2006 PRIUS Repair Manual - 2006 PRIUS Electrical Wiring Diagram

Steering system begins at page 2505.

The blue numbers sadly aren't linked. But the PDF has a linked index. (Therefor the PDF viewer must show the PDF index instead of bookmarks or page thumbnails.) Thus at least one is able to jump between the chapters.

Bundaddy and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe @jerrymildred had some cautions when changing out the clock spring, from his experience.

Bundaddy likes this.
  5. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One should find it somewhere in the linked manual. Normally everything is described there very detailed, step by step.

But I'm sorry, I have no time now. Lunch break is over. Just wanted to offer the chance to find it in this manual. Didn't look for myself.

Bundaddy and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. AquaJan

AquaJan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I watched several youtube videos before I did mine. While there were few Prius specific ones, the videos for the Toyota's are very similar to what you'll encounter.
    Take your time, don't force the electrical clips and handle the airbag assy carefully.

Bundaddy and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced my wife's a couple years ago with a used one I got from Todd at Home - Tampa Hybrids Inc.. It's not hard at all. The essential thing is to make sure you keep the replacement part oriented as it was when removed from the donor car or when you took the new part out of the box. Don't let it rotate on itself. And it's delicate, so treat it kindly.

Edit to add:
    After digging into my memory banks some more, I remember Todd saying that the used one had been taken out with the donor car's steering centered and I needed to make sure my steering was also centered. He had put masking tape on it to keep it in place during storage, which I removed as I put it in place in my car. That's a little more complete. Sorry for the lack of clarity. It was just the one time and it was a while ago.

#7 jerrymildred, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    JC91006, Bundaddy and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Jerry.

Bundaddy and jerrymildred like this.
  9. Bundaddy

Bundaddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for the replies and help I got it fixed. As you guys mentioned, it was very easy to change.

MickyMatter and jerrymildred like this.
  10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update. Glad it was good news.

Prodigyplace likes this.