1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't shift to neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ejensen, Oct 10, 2021.

1. ejensen

ejensen Junior Member

Hi all,

We have a 2004 Prius with about 85,000 miles on it, and recently it won't shift into Neutral. Shifting to other gears works OK. Any suggestions for what to look at here? Or is this something where we just have to take it in have someone look at it?

I've searched through other threads and have seen occasional mentions of not being able to shift to Drive or Park, but nothing about Neutral. Possibly those are similar issues with the shifting mechanism, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice here!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you hold the lever to the neutral position for 1-2 seconds and it'll go into neutral

Raytheeagle and ejensen like this.
  3. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes you have to hold it longer than you would expect

ejensen likes this.
  4. ejensen

ejensen Junior Member

OK, thanks! The car is no longer in my possession - my son now has it, and reported this recently. I bet this is it - I'll check with him and report back.

Thanks for the quick help,

Eric

5. ejensen

ejensen Junior Member

As expected, this was the issue - he just wasn’t holding the shift lever there long enough. Thanks again for the quick and on-target replies.

bisco likes this.