1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't start the ATF fluid swap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JJ Pen, Dec 21, 2022.

1. JJ Pen

JJ Pen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey Everyone, it has been 5000 miles since the first oil change was done on my prius since I've had it. I thought I would also swap the ATF fluid. After following this video

and getting the 24mm socket and 10mm hex socket.

I can't get the drain plug open! I have a torque wrench that has started to strip the 10mm inverted(don't know the technical term) bolt to drain the fluid. My wife suggests Wd40 but I spent a couple hours trying to get it out. I borrowed an impact drill and ended up twisting one of my bits. No movement on the bolt.

Any ideas? Definitely learned alot for first oil change ever. Wish I could have finished the ATF fluid though.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You could take a plumbers torch with the yellow can of map gas screwed to the torch preferably a pencil flame and heat the area gently around the bolt I'm assuming you're on the correct bolts you need to be undoing with the video I can't see from here but heat will generally help a nut or a bolt to come out of metal You're not trying to melt anything we're just trying to heat it up see if that works if you're scared of fire well I guess that's that You could try a heat gun but that would be a slow process it's like a blow dryer for the shop. If you're breaking bits I would tend to thank your seriously overpowering the bit or the bit is not up to impact duty which is also possible.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just being Captain Obvious: object with the heat is to slightly expand the metal of the threaded hole, so the bolt (being cooler) will hopefully loosen.

maybe buy a replacement bolt before going any further. If you can verify the bolts stats, maybe you can get an alternative hex head bolt?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is a good place for the traditional advice to always crack open the fill plug first. Why? Think how frustrating it is when you can't get the drain plug open. Then think how it is when you got the drain plug open, then can't open the fill.

#4 ChapmanF, Dec 22, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems silly to mention, but
    keep in mind this plug is upside down....make certain you're turning it the correct direction.
    Sometimes a love tap will help free stuck fasteners
    Sometimes heat will do the same
    I don't think I've ever, ever, ever stripped a hex socket when using the hex wrench, that thing must be stuck like crazy.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have the same drain plugs on my piaggio Italian single cylinder engines in my scooters this company also makes airplanes. And some of these things get ridiculously stupid type I'm not sure why I don't know if it's the type of metal the threads the steel being screwed into aluminum or exactly what generally I try to make sure once I get them out I never put them back in anywhere near that tight. Maybe some anti-seize on the threads.

JJ Pen likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On our 2010 both fill and drain bolts are socket head cap screw, with 10 mm hex pocket. They're a little stubborn, but never started to strip. I used a 19" ratchet wrench, with a "hex bit socket", I think that's the terminology. Looks like this:

upload_2022-12-22_9-45-54.png

If you're using an Allen key with a cheater-pipe, maybe not so good.

I wish Toyota would take a cue from Honda: their transmission drain bolts are socket head cap screw, with a 3/8" square hole: just put a 3/8" drive ratchet bit in it.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe some early Toyota transmissions were like this in k e. t e and r a Celica cars w and T transmissions come to mind . Been a long time ago

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure what you said but sounds good. (y)

Can you read it??

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    KE and TE and RA we're the the codes for Corolla and Celica Toyota models of yore. They had RWD trans and solid diffs. And similar plugs in thos trans and tears similar to the Honda you like the differential had 1/2 square hole install your half inch drive ratchet give it a yank All you needed No tools just the ratchet

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The OP's only viable solution is to drill out the center of the drain plug with a 1/4 inch drill bit, drain the transmission fluid and then take out the plug with a broken bolt extractor.

I would drill carefully and retrieve the steel cuttings of the drain plug with a strong magnet especially before the drill breaking through, I would stop just before the drill breaks through.

Then, I would drive in a straight broken screw extractor to break through the center of the drain plug and wrench out the plug,

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200685157_200685157

I would replace the drain plug with an M18x1.5 magnetic drain plug like this one.

#12 Georgina Rudkus, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  13. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.

I'm all in favor of "learning experiences", but you may want to consider taking this to a repair shop. Once the female hex of the drain plug is damaged, then things can get tricky. If you get some specialized tools, you might be able to remove it yourself. If you damage something, do you have a plan B?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. JJ Pen

JJ Pen New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the responses!

Fill plug was never an issue.
    I was going to grab a bolt extractor kit and pick up a replacement bolt from the dealership like was mentioned. But decided to invest in a cordless torque wrench and torque driver (I figured I want to do work on a car and those tools make it a lot easier). The torque wrench didn't fit the 3/8th socket on the 10mm allen because I didn't have a conversion but I did have a bit that fit for the torque driver that is less powerful. I guess that and the wd40 did the trick. Thanks for the help!

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.