1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CanView or ScanGauge? Talk among yourselves.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by a priori, Dec 11, 2007.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I understand it from previous threads, the options are CanView or ScanGauge II (with software updates). I think the earlier threads became very "technical" very quickly, and I would like to encourage "softer" comments and advice for those of us [non-gearheads?] thinking of adding one of these devices.

Can anyone offer a side-by-side comparison? If not, please offer your own reasons for choosing one over the other. Also, if you were to choose again (given the updates available for either or both), which would it be?

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scan Guage
    Limited information
    Limited functionally
    Easy to install
    Cheap

Can-View
    More info than you need
    Can be used for plug in conversion
    Harder to install
    Must buy extra LCD screen for 2006+
    More expensive than the SG but can get really expensive if you have to buy and install the extra LCD screen.

I like my Can-View. I don't think I could live with the limited functionally of the SG but thats just me. It really depends on what you want to use the information for. if you need all info available you would want the Can-View if you want something cheap and give you basic info get the SG.

3. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Another benefit of the ScanGauge is that you can use it in any OBDII compliant car, not just the Prius.

4. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the quick summary.

Why is an extra LCD screen required for newer models (for the Can-View)?

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    CanView or ScanGauge

I have neither, but I believe it has to do with the change of the MFD. From 2006 on it's a higher resolution.

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've used both. Started with a ScanGauge. I switched to CAN-View for two main reasons: 1) the ability to log data via a PC using an optional CV serial port, and 2) the desire to know more about the operating parameters of the hybrid system. (As an aside, I've had trouble getting data logging to work.)

I love CV and have no regrets buying it. But for the average driver, SG is more than sufficient and a better value, IMHO.

All of this is a moot point if you don't have or plan a plug-in conversion. CV is no longer being made for the non-plug-in Prius.

The 04/05 models have an analog MFD, whereas 06+ comes with a digital MFD. See this for more.

7. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its too bad that those hardware hackers haven't made any news-worthy progress on the digital screen...

The last I heard, someone had gotten windows to boot up on the mfd, but it was chopped off or something...

8. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my canview came with my car, when my wires becomes lose and my screen goes blank, i feel naked without it. I only use the prius MFD for checking 5 minute interval fuel economy, other than that I love the details of the hybrid system such as:

MG inverters/motors temps
    coolant/engine temp (really shows how cool the coolant can get when mixed in a cold engine :S)
    temp/amps/wattage of battery
    horsepower to the wheels (i'm debating if its break horsepower from the engine or to the wheels... need dyno)
    throttle/brake position %
    it can scan diagnoistic trouble codes and can store hybrid specality ones as well
    trip data simliar to scangauge
    true State of charge/ voltage < -- good for determining the life of the battery

9. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sorry if I'm just re-stating what has been posted, but is it true that CanView cannot be used on a 2006 or newer Prius unless a second LCD screen is provided simply because the MFD on these newer cars is a digital monitor (vs. an analog one)?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, that's true

11. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK, then. That issue is solved.

Where do you place the ScanGauge II? Can it fit into the storage place (that has the non-opaque plastic cover)? Should it be mounted somewhere else?

12. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I "mounted" mine by just squeezing it into the box below the stereo. It fights snugly enough to just push it in and I can close the box and hide it when I'm not in the car.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen one mounted on the steering column that looks good, is easy to see...I think he just used a wooden block shaped a little to fit the curve of the column on one side...then velcroed on to the column and then the scan gauge velcroed to the top of that.

Another guy at Cleanmpg sells a mount for the rear-view mirror...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]