1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CanView V4 Side Benefit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Allannde, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Lilliput monitor which can be used with the V4 comes with a video input. I purchased this camera:
    http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?Pag...amp;ProdID=5628 and it was just a
    matter of installing it as it works by simply plugging in.

I did need to tap into the power for the monitor.

Getting the wire through the firewall was a challenge, but turned out not to be overwhelming. It did require removing the cover over the windshield wiper assembly, the wiper assembly and the tray under it. Hobit has instructions for that here: http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/heatgames/

Then I straightened out a wire clothes hanger and bent one end around on to itself. Then I put the other end through a disassembled ball point pen shaft (see picture) and taped one end of the wire to that. I coated the tape with petroleum jelly (Vaseline). Then when I poked it through the rubber wire grommet in the firewall (see the picture under the dash with the pedals), it slid right through and the rubber pulled tight around the wire.

Now I have no excuse for hitting curbs with the front of the car!

Here are some pictures:

Attached Files:

2. bnardone

bnardone New Member

Cool project! This is actually one of the features I want to add to my car when I get my CAN-view/Lilliput. How stiff is the cable holding the camera out of your grille?
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Mar 19 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]408699[/snapback]</div>
    What do you mean by this exactly?

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon n @ May 13 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]441257[/snapback]</div>
    Hi brandon

The cable is not stiff at all. The camera is bolted to a mount which I exlain below.

First, the camera which I installed was this:

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?Pag...amp;ProdID=5628

Second, the Lilliput monitor comes with both a video (yellow RCA) input and what was called a "power input" (Black female standard power input). That "power input" also works as a power output. The camera requires both and has a wire for each. The camera supplied more than enough wire to make the connection. I needed to purchase the male of the power connection from Radio Shack and solder it on as the Camera had only bare wires for the power wires (there are two ground wires and they are simply connected together into one).

The Camera video output is already a yellow RCA which matches the jack on the Lilliput. The power drain of the camera is insignificant according to Norm (the maker of Can-View). He was impressed with the setup when I showed it to him.

I mounted the camera to an empty hole in the bottom of my front license plate so I could see the curbs I might hit with the front of my car. I aimed it high enough so that I could also see the bumpers of the cars in front when I park. The little ears which come with the camera slipped right between the license plate frame and the plate and are held tight with a 1/4" bolt.

The wire is run back in through the lower grill. When you do that you will want to remove the black cover over the top of the radiator for access. That is the one which extends accross the front of the engine room just under the front of the hood. There are several (about eight) little round clips which hold it in place. They come off easily when you know how. You must hold the outer part of the little round clip with a flat screw driver while you gently turn the inside of the clip with a philps screw driver (unscrewing turn). When the inside pops up, the clip can be removed. If you press too hard, it won't pop up. Be careful not to drop the little clips. It might be hard to retrieve them!

It is nice that the the Camera unplugs from the wire which goes into the car. That makes things easier. I wrapped the plug connection with electrical tape to hold it tight.

The rest of the job is covered by my pictures above.

Happy project!

Allan