1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Capacity coolant reservoir-most likely coolant leak/loss

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by phoebeisis, Nov 20, 2013.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

I notice the coolant reservoir 2006 prius 84,000 miles-is empty
    2 months ago it was maybe 1" from bottom
    How much does it hold?
    What is the most likely cause/causes of coolant loss/leak
    The car is currently kaput-waiting for 12v battery-it died after 90 months in New Orleans heat.

If possible-$ concerns-I will track down and repair/replace leaking component
    3 years ago service writer said water pump was leaking-but refilled it-watched carefully for 2 years-dropped maybe 1cm in 2 years.
    so the traditional water pump-no doubt a bear to replace-tops the list.
    No obvious leaks peering in engine bay-
    tonight I'll jack it up crawl under-shine UV look for smear splatter spray marks- might wait until Thursday when battery and coolant arrive-amazon $164 and $26.50 Optima yellow top toyota SLLC2
    Thanks
    cHARLIE

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would also suspect the water pump. Look for pink stuff around the shaft. It is not very hard to replace. Care must be taken in getting all the air out of the system after replacing the pump.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The engine coolant capacity is around 9 US quarts.

The most likely cause of a leak is the engine coolant pump. Look for a pinkish residue on the inside of the pump pulley as well as deposits on the air conditioning compressor below.

If you don't see a problem there, look at the radiator hoses and the radiator itself for a leak.

When you replenish the coolant, don't forget to remove the large black plastic cover over the radiator as you need to remove the radiator cap to check the coolant level in the radiator itself.

I have posted recently on how to replace the engine coolant pump, this is not too difficult.
    How to replace engine coolant pump and thermostat | PriusChat

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

nh7o
    Patrick Wong
    Thanks a million.
    I had sorta forgotten how good this forum was.
    I suspect it is the pump also. Gotta jack it up-support it-and get a good look to find the leak.
    Right-sorta forgot I should take a look in actual radiator-refill it also.- pry up those little plastic "rivets" that alwaysdwadsf
    I will print out your posting-engine coolant pump replacement.
    I have NO FAITH in the dealer- when we brought it in 3 years ago-inverter pump croaked(free repair) the service writer IMMEDIATELY suggested $1200 in other repairs-$400 for actual engine water pump-but it obviously was leaking so little- few ounces over 2 years-didn't do it.
    Besides the SOBs didn't even bother to refill the EMPTY reservoir-something I certainly would have paid for.
    Just returned it-empty reservoir-didn't even ask if we wanted it filled-no mention that it was low on coolant-about 1 quart-entire reservoir empty is my memory.
    Thanks
    charlie
    PS Just checked radiator-lucked out-it is full-dipped paper towel in it-coolant looks good-no oil etc -
    thanks patrick-I would have forgotten to look-did notice 3 of the 6 plastic " phillips screws" that hold down the cover were broken-the dealer mechanics just stuffed them back in-cover must have been rattling- wouldn't replace 10 cents worth of fasteners hmmm