1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Capital Punishment?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Mar 8 2007, 05:24 PM) [snapback]402445[/snapback]</div>
    Is this flexible Christianity? Do you regard the law of the land (wherever you live) also to be flexible? I don't think a court of law would think much of this defence.

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd have to agree with Oxo about legal consistency - "follow your heart" is not justice.

Nearly all of us if honest have had "the urge to kill" at one point or another. Fortunately most of have the self-restraint to avoid doing it. For the public's safety, the ones that murder can't walk the streets again (I'm getting ambivalent on the life or death sentence).

"What were they thinking when they murdered?" Some cases I might almost conclude they are normal in instances of spouse killings or intruders, esp. if it's their 1st brush with the law.

Repeats offenders, substance users, etc are a different story. They are more likely to have zero compassion for their victims, as in the case of this rapist. Yes, there is something wrong with him. Maybe years ago, he could have gotten help and avoided this path. But I just find it very hard to be understanding to merciless and self-centered people.

Many of you may call him troubled, but I'm entirely comfortable with assessing him as evil.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Mar 9 2007, 08:05 AM) [snapback]402730[/snapback]</div>
    That's all well and good. But what if they're already executed?

Answer that, please: How would you feel if your son was executed for a crime you know he didn't commit? Not just put in jail - executed. Dead. No take-backs. And then AFTERWARDS the state finds evidence that proves what you were saying all along. Would you be happy with them just saying "Oops?"

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

If Couley or someone of his perversion were to do something like this to my daughter, I'm fairly certain he'd be better off locked in a cell somewhere so I couldn't settle the score Montana style.

If you can tell me you believe there is a certain likelyhood that Couley didn't do this, then I can start to buy in to not frying the innocent man theory. If you know that he did it, but don't want to execute him because another innocent person may one day be executed in another place for another crime then I say you are weak, and you are part of the reason this kind of crime is happening in our society. You are in a very real way part of the reason Jessica spent 3 days being brutally raped by a creepy old man. Congratulations, you have a horrible position on this issue.

Go do this to a little girl in Iran. Let's see how that works for you. No one in Iran is doing this kind of crime because there is a HUGE deterrant. We can be a free democratic society and still have laws and punishments meant to deter individuals from committing these crimes.

Thanks to liberal groups, ACLU and big mouthed idiots, our justice system is weakening. We will see more of this type of horrific crime in our future.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 9 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]402789[/snapback]</div>
    So, how many innocent people being executed is acceptable to you? And I assume it would be perfectly acceptable to you for The State to execute your kids for crimes they didn't commit just so some day a genuine scumbag can be fried.

Congratulations, you have a horrible position on this issue.

6. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well with statistics and all a large proportion of the people that live around me in all probability are liberals isn't that bad enough? I mean seriously a few mass murderers or child rapist don't scare me half as much.

Wildkow

7. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 9 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]402789[/snapback]</div>
    How 'bout thanks to lawyers who get the money from the criminals, or do pro bono work to get face time on CNN? I think that's why the system is weakening. Throw in overzealous judges and prosecutors who spend too much time/energy on petty crimes, and you've got a mess.

It's the system.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Mar 8 2007, 12:31 PM) [snapback]402390[/snapback]</div>
    Oh well can't seem to get out of a single topic these days without some Christian bashing, another hateful and bigoted atheist joins the crowd at PC.

Wildkow

9. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Mar 9 2007, 09:13 AM) [snapback]402746[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously the law of this land is indeed flexible. It just depends who you are and if you're "connected" to the ruling class.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 9 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]402769[/snapback]</div>
    Give it a rest! I am done with you.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 8 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]402407[/snapback]</div>
    So the fact that innocent pople die doesn't bother you? How about the fact that Blacks are picked for the death penalty in far greater numbers than whites that doesn't bother you either?

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lywyllyn @ Mar 8 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]402413[/snapback]</div>
    Well I am a dual transplant recipient and I think that is an excellent idea but please don't give his to me, thank you very much.

Wildkow

11. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will be the Jury's decision, not mine or yours. A jury of his peers will make the conclusion to this emotionally charged case.

12. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 9 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]402791[/snapback]</div>
    0 Innocents executed is acceptable to me.

We need to fry enough scumbags to make sure my daughter won't be the next remake of the Couley story. The pervert who might have otherwise done that to her may realize he will be executed if he does it. Under your ideology, he only realizes that he may not get caught and if he does, it's just free rent and food and possible freedom.

Apparently you don't mind if the next couley remake is with your daughter, so maybe you can advertise your affinity to this kind of crime on the net somewhere so that the perverts have a properly directed outlet for their crime.

You have a horrible position on this issue.

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Mar 9 2007, 05:05 AM) [snapback]402730[/snapback]</div>
    I think after final judgment that unless the evidence of innocence is new you can not base an appeal or even bring it up at an appeal. Therefore, if you have evidence that you presented in court and either made a mistake or presented it wrong or used it in the wrong way it can not be used again in the appeal process. Read some cases about this on the internet there are plenty out there. Also when DNA testing first began years ago the state of Illinois discovered that 11 of its 13 death row prisoners, according to DNA evidence, could not have committed the crime. Illinois and many other states then using DNA testing then blocked the use of DNA evidence for death row inmates.

Wildkow

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 9 2007, 11:50 AM) [snapback]402823[/snapback]</div>
    You imply that capital punishment is a deterrent. It's been shown rather conclusively that it's not. If it's not a deterrent and it's more expensive to execute someone (than to keep them in prison for life), then why do it? It seems to me that vengeance is the only real reason. I don't think that there is necessarily anything wrong with us as humans wanting vengeance (especially for such a horrible, despicable crime), but we should call a spade a spade and not have this nebulous discussion about "justice."

However, as I said before, I don't think that the government should be in the vengeance business.

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 9 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]402823[/snapback]</div>
    I could make an exception for scumbags like this guy who confess to the crime, as long as there is no question about coercion or mistake in the confession. I think you could fry all the inmates in prison today for whatever crime they committed and there would still be the same crimes committed tomorrow. Indeed that is speculation but I do know a bit about human nature and although the incidence may be lower the same crimes would still be committed and I for one am not willing to pay that price for that type of security.

Wildkow

16. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Murders has occurred from time memorial and won't stop.

The question is how to best effectively reduce the killings.

My answer is multi-pronged:

- Citizens brought up to respect life
    - Effective arrestes of killers
    - Appropiate penality for the convicted

We can only hope to reduce the bloodshed.

17. daronspicher

Prison time and execution should be deterrants, and they used to be deterants to crime. They are fading as deterrants.

Can anyone point out why?

Why is prison so easy these days? Why do executions take 35 years?

Can anyone identify any groups who've gotten involved to make the prisons 'softer' and executions have 34 appeals.

Why is it so easy for a great number of offenders to walk scott free based on such tiny technicalities?

We need more cowboys in the courts like we have in the whitehouse!!!!

Make the prisons humane, but tough as hell so anyone who's in there more than a month will never let themselves be back inside. Everyone could have shorter sentences and cost the system a lot less.

You got an obvious guilty couley, let's bury him inside a year or two and ramp up the next one.

18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 9 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]402854[/snapback]</div>
    With more "cowboys," we will, without doubt, have more innocents executed; something you've previously stated is unacceptable to you.

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Im really surprised to see the leaniency of so many, I feel if the evidence is stacked up against a murder suspect. After the suspect has gone through his/hers trial and found guilty of their crime they should be put to death by sparky or leathal injection within a week.. This would free up much needed space in our jails and save the tax payers some money. ;)

Gotta love the ACLU, :rolleyes:

Heres a read for ya,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does someone have the listing of crimes commited vs race & age.?? :huh: :mellow:

like white in their mid 20's to 30's have been found to commit certain crimes more than blacks or asians..

20. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Priusguy that sounds like a bunch of racist garbage.