1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car accident... Totalled?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Falconrygal, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Falconrygal

Falconrygal New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Recently had a car accident that wasn't too bad but the coolant heat storage tank was bent back towards the tire, the hose connected to it got ripped off, and the front left and back bumpers are pretty much wrecked. Wondering if it's repairable and if so how much it's expected to cost? Can't take it to Toyota since they're 40+ miles from the wrecker. I couldn't see any other visible damage, tires seem in good shape and car acted normal when I turned it off.

2. TWOPrius

TWOPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have any insurance, your company will come to you and write an estimate. You don't need to transport it. But I guess if you had that the ins. Co would have picked it up. Sorry I was not thinking.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? depends ob if the repair costs more than the value.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is there a body shop where you live? Even if they don't work on hybrids normally, there should be enough industry data to get a good estimate. Then use KBB and local Craiglist to estimate market value. And then use your personal finances to determine next course of action, to repair, replace, or upgrade.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your insurance company is going to pay you up to a certain percentage of the car's street value before they total it, but (reality check!) the car is 11 years old, so it's not worth much to begin with.
    It sounds like it's totaled just because more than one corner is involved plus things in the engine room.

I presume it's your fault, since you didn't say otherwise.
    If it's the fault of another driver you actually have a little more leverage since you can insist that they make you whole.

If it's your fault then you're going to have to decide whether or not you actually want to fix the car, and there are variables to consider such as the real world value of the car, any deductibles, whether or not you owe anything on it, and the cost of the repair plus your abilities as a mechanic.
    If they total it, then they might offer to let you have the remains before they sell it off.
    Depending on many more variables you may want to consider a rebuild, but then at best you will have a "salvage car" for less than the cost of a replacement.

Details and pictures would help.

Good Luck!
    Keep us posted!

Falconrygal likes this.
  6. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    nothing a little duct tape can't fix

7. Falconrygal

Falconrygal New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry it took me a while, yes it was my fault. They said they can consider it totalled and the estimate was around 3.8k but if we were to keep it then they would pay about 2.6k I believe, although it's old I'd rather keep it or find another cheap car. Around 160k miles.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd keep the car, take the 2.6k and try to cash flow repairs with an eye towards mechanical soundness more so than body work.

Then?
    I'd drive the wheels off of it.

Of course this is presuming that both of you are in concurrence and the car is paid for.
    If you have a SO or a note on the car then things get muddied up a bit, but the idea is to let your insurance record and your bank account heal before you drive something that is going to require comp and collision.

Hope you're OK and you didn't hit anything valuable.
    See if you can find an independent mechanic in your area for the engine work, and see what a body shop will charge in cash to iron out some of the wrinkles.

You're looking at the insurance company letting you keep the hulk for $1200.
    You almost cannot lose money doing that, considering how many parts you can sell - especially if the car was in decent shape pre-collision.

Keep us posted.
    GOOD LUCK!

9. Rolls Canardly

Rolls Canardly New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    so the difference is $1200.00.
    That is what the insurance buyout price is.
    First, Everything is negotiable, see if you can get it for $500.00 or $1000.00.
    They have no attachment - and you could say it has a "sentimental value."
    If damage is actually just plastic bumper covers and minimal other stuff, I would fix it.
    You did mention coolant storage tank; replace it. Look at radiator support; is it bent back?
    Do you have any mechanical abilities, or have someone who does?
    The bumper covers are simple fix. Get used; Craigslist, or Local U-Pull It yard.

I just bought a 2003, in Excellent condition, for $200.00 that needs the main battery.
    Also buying a rear ended parts car, with a battery replaced in 2014 for $700.00.
    I am then doing a battery swap.
    So I'm good to go - for under a grand; then selling unneeded "parts car" parts, to further reduce my cost.
    If I'm lucky, I may be into this for a total of ZERO COST; and I think that's great!

Your other option is take the Insurance money and buy another - "less damaged" Prius; possibly one
    like the parts car mentioned above, that someone already went thru the expense of Battery replacement.
    You are then that much further ahead.

If you are financially able, the third option is to put that down on a brand new, (with a payment,) Prius.

Please let everyone know what you decide to do?

Falconrygal likes this.