1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car alarm & dashboard lights came on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by se7enbaes, Aug 17, 2017.

1. se7enbaes

se7enbaes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius with ~103k miles. Tonight, the some kind of alarm on it went off at random. It's not the same alarm as the panic alarm, closer to the horn continuously honking by itself. This was going on for over half an hour before I realized it was coming from my car.

I went outside, opened the door, turned on the car, and the triangle with exclamation, ABS, VDC, check engine and another exclamation light were flashing. I then tried turning off the car, but the power button wouldn't turn off, the check engine light came on, and I couldn't remove the key. After pushing the power button a few times, I was finally able to remove the key. But now I can't lock the car doors with the fob and the door lock button in the car isn't working. I have to manually lock the car.

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong?

The 12v battery was changed only a few of months ago and inspection/oil change was done just 2 months ago. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know you said that the 12v was changed a few months ago, but I would still have it checked.

It seems the most logical place to start based on the symptoms. You can do it yourself or got to a local battery seller.