1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car and Driver Mag bad review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zaxcom, May 28, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but when the BMW 3 Series is COTY for x years running (I lost track cause it won every year)

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I finally received my C&D issue today and looked at their review.
    Well, the Prius was also faster in all their acceleration tests and in their subjective measurements/tally did better on rear-seat comfort, rear-seat space, features/amenities, 1/4 mile acceleration, engine NVH, fuel economy, and ride.

If you look at their table, they basically felt that Insight had better driver comfort, ergonomics, interior styling (I disagree), exterior styling, transmission (!!!?!?), steering feel, brake feel, handling and a much better as-tested price. Both their Insight and Prius had nav. They mention theirs was a Prius IV and one can see the nav unit, and they list their as-tested price of $31,950 (!?!). At the kind of price, is sounds like theirs had the solar roof or advanced tech package.

In their table, I think they got their sound level results reversed between the Insight and Prius. They list the Insight as being quieter than the Prius in all 3 measures: idle, full throttle and 70-mph cruise, yet see below. It doesn't make sense.

Prius
    the highs: Compliant ride, quiet, politically correct, roomy back seat
    the lows: Wallowy handling, numb steering, brake pedal connected to push
    the verdict: A hyrbid in a perpetual velvet fog - a perfect car for the late Mel Trome

Insight
    the highs: attractive price, some semblance of handling, good steering feel
    the lows: road noise, thrashy when thrashed, unpredictable auto stop
    the verdict: An affordable hybrid that's at least trying to involve the driver.

On their 600 mile trip, they got 42 mpg w/a 3 cylinder (55 hp) manual Chevy Metro, 38 mpg w/the Insight and 42 mpg w/the Prius. From ther review, I suspect they were running mostly on Power mode AND using B (bad idea) because of the statement "Until fuel returns to $4 a gallon, you'l remain in power mode with B (max engine braking) for 90 percent of your Prius occupancy."

I think we're going to see a bunch of unhappy Prius owners writing C&D soon.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is correct, the 15 inch model will get the same power steering as the 17 inch model which has a brushless motor and also has a faster steering ratio.

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Years ago, I believe back in the md-nineties I was reading I believe Consumer Reports (sorry if this is a bit off-topic). They had listed 5 stars on the Mazda Navajo in many categories. The ones that jumped out at me were the power, handling and fit and finish. I jumped over to the Ford Explorer and it was just the opposite. They rated it poor (or almost poor) in those areas. The ironic thing here is these are exactly the same vehicle. Okay, the interior was likely a bit different and could have affected scores but if the Navajo had enough power and excellent handling, why wouldn't the Explorer? Ever since then I more or less ignore the ratings from magazines.

Mike

5. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You are now the second person to state this. Both of you have not given a source. I hope you are correct but stand by my position. There has been no such information released. Your statement cannot be considered credible unless a reliable source is identified.

Roy

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Edit:Just saw you posted in that thread and after reading it more of an update is needed for specific information regarding this...

Here's the Prius Team's post about some of this:

http://priuschat.com/forums/2010-toyota-prius/60065-wheels-steering-shocks-oh-my.html#post822597

1 person likes this.
  7. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Paradox,
    Thanks for putting those quotes together. That's where my doubts about actually upgrading the motor and steering ratio comes from. I keep asking for confirmation because I would like it to be true that they are making the complete upgrade, especially since I am planning on buying in the Fall anyway.

For whatever reason, we have not heard much form the Prius Team about anything lately.

Roy

8. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Sales numbers will out.

THAT is the review that trumps all other reviews.

Stay tuned. I hope both the new Insight and the new Prius sell well...but Toyota will produce more. I've read that somewhere...

PS The Insight I test drove was not even in the same league as my 2004 Prius. It was not, plain and simple. Still waiting for a 2010 Prius test drive.

9. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I subscribe to Car and Driver and got the magazine yesterday.

Why are they comparing a Geo Metro with over 100,000 miles to two new cars, Honda Insight and Toyota Prius.

Also the Prius still got better gas mileage than the Insight and the same as the Metro.

As far as the 42 MPG the received on the Prius they must have been
    driving the car like they stole it in power mode.

But I am really taken back why they did not compare the Prius and Insight with the Civic Hybrid. At least than they would be all hybrids with CVT (not manual) transmissions along with weighing more than 2,000 lbs.

Alfon

10. yogadoc

yogadoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  11. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting (and very good) review on Motor Trend:

Gettin' Jetson: 2010 Toyota Prius

a piece:

...."You’ll “wow†passengers who open the rear doors or the rear hatch. More important, though, this Prius is all grown up. It’s a giant leap ahead in solidity and quiet; if it wore a Lexus label, no one would be surprised. It just feels way heftier and more robust—which makes the increases in mileage (to 51/48 city/highway mpg) all the more remarkable"....

the whole thing:

Gettin' Jetson: 2010 Toyota Prius | Car News Blog at Motor Trend

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's already been posted in the News forum =)

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the reason for the Metro is because it's amongst the (or is the) most efficient non-hybrid gasoline powered car sold in the US in recent times. A lot of people who like to do apples to oranges comparisons like to compare the Prius to efficient but old, very light (by today's standards), underpowered cars, w/few modern features that likely won't do well in current crash tests nor meet current emissions standards for new cars. Well, a 3 cylinder Metro fits the bill well and well, they didn't like it and pointed out how primitive it was and showed how SLOW it was (20.3 sec @ 65 mph in the 1/4 mile) even w/a manual.

It's a question someone would've likeky asked and wanted to know the answer to.

Driving a 3-cylinder manual Metro is TRULY a penalty box vs. a 2010 Prius. FWIW, I've had a rental 4 cylinder (70 hp) automatic Metro before and WOW, what a piece of crap. It was noisy, slow, crude and IIRC, lacked power steering. I couldn't imagine the 3 cylinder.

14. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've owned about 4 of the Geo Metro's in Canada they sold them as the Pontiac Firefly.
    I had 2 XFI's and 2 others that were 3 cyl. I did rent a 4 cyl Metro but didn't like it.
    I bought the Metros back then because they were cheap commuter cars and I put on about 35K miles a year or more back then. So basically I'd trade in the car every year.
    I did sell one of them private sale as the dealer was gouging so bad on the trade in. All of them were manuals and I kid you not at 70 mph when you put on the A/C it was like a jet putting on the air brakes!
    I mean really, like hitting a wall of air!
    I think the A/C took 40% of it's HP!
    They were good commuter cars since they were disposable and cheap, my last new Metro cost me $7,000 brand new!
    Overseas that 3 cyl is as tough as nails and they use them in multicabs and they overload them to the hilt!
    Multicabs are tough little buggers, but they don't go very fast.
    The Geo Metro convertible was a car a lot of people liked since it was super on fuel economy and easy to drive.
    I never did buy one but saw a lot of them.
    The Metro swallowed things as handily as my Honda Fit!
    For their day they were ok cars.