1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car and Driver's tests of "$18,000 mileage makers"

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The May 08 issue of Car and Driver has comparisons of 8 $18K "mileage makers." On p.93 they listed the mileage they got on these cars over a 300 mile drive. Although I don't believe they use a specific course and driving schedule for this drive, here are the numbers they got. ALL of them were equipped w/a 5 speed manual.

Ford Focus SE: 25 mpg
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS: 21
    Saturn Astra XR: 24
    Scion xD: 26
    Subaru Impreza 2.5i: 22
    Suzuki SX4 Sport: 24
    Toyota Corolla: 28
    VW Rabbit S: 22

The test avg. was 24 mpg across all cars. This should open the eyes of Prius whiners who complain about getting only 35-38 mpg.

FWIW, when C&D reviewed the Prius (Toyota Prius - Road Test - Green Machine - Car And Driver), they got 42.03 mpg and ~50 highway/~52 mpg city at The Frugalympics - Comparison Test/Sedans/Comparison Test/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Gee, I wonder why they chose $18,000 as the price number ? . . . I'm SURE it had nothing to do with the fact that if they jacked up their "arbetrary" price number to, say, $22,000-$23,000 that they'd firtually be advertising a Prius, for no cost to toyota :D

3. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Because most compact cars are about $18,000, and a five or a six thousand dollar bump is an entirely different class of car.

Too bad they didn't include the 2009 Cobalt, as they've added VVT to the 2.2L, which is good for 35mpg highway. I suppose they're not out yet.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please do not introduce facts and logic into this thread.

Clearly, the omission of the Prius was orchestrated by the anti-hybrid cabal, with funding from the Detroit automakers.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2009 Cobalt SS....2.0 liter turbo, 260 hp, 260 ft lbs torque....21/29 mileage rating....base price is around $25k though

6. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Attached Files:

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure this entirely intiutive since long term ownership costs can easily outweigh the initial higher cost of say a Prius VS. a Cobalt or Aveo.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That may be, but for many people the car's initial price is the hurdle to whether or not they can get the car. If a person has the money for one of those cars, but chooses to finance the difference for a Prius, there is a possibility that they'll end up paying more on the loan than what they saved on gas and maintenance.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The as test prices of the cars they tested ranged from $16,160 (Corolla) to $20,570 (Lancer).

As for the Cobalt "which is good for 35mpg highway", well the highest EPA highway mileages in this review were had by the Focus (24/35) and Corolla (27/35). The highest EPA city mileage in the review was again the Corolla: 27.

But, alas, the Focus got 25 mpg in their 300 miles and the Corolla got 28 (the king of this test).

10. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My dad had a 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport. 2 Door and was a very nice car. Had great power overall and it really corners well. LOL

He got an average of 35MPG.

11. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You want to talk about Detroit conspiring against us....

I got off the phone today with a friend in Michigan. She was born and raised there and the only time she left was her stint in the Navy. I told her I traded the Jag for a Prius and she didn't know what it was. In disbelief I messed with her a little thinking she was playing around but NO she really hadbn't heard of a Prius. I still think she was messing with me but she can't do that without laughing alot.

Her claim is that she lives in Detroit and has never heard of a Prius, they don't even say the words Toyota, Honda, Suzuki. or Mitsubishi.

And yes she drives a GM and her huddy is a GM Engineer.

12. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you freakin kidding me? I think GM has a lot of better things to do than to have conspiracy's. So your friend is loyal to GM like your loyal to Toyota... There is nothing wrong with that.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can't be serious about it being "a very nice car". Cavaliers are pieces of crap with horrible GM Tupperware interiors. I've had my share of Cavalier/Sunfire rentals.

FWIW, when Consumer Reports tested an 03 Cavalier LS auto, they got 18 city/37 highway, 26 overall. Their review (which was current when they did it) starts out with:
    "The Cavalier received the lowest overall score of any current sedan we’ve tested. It’s a flimsy, crude car that’s noisy, cramped, and uncomfortable. Its only redeeming features are its quick acceleration and smooth-shifting transmission."

Some other choice quotes from that review:
    "The Cavalier doesn’t damp out road bumps well. The ride stays busy even on a highway. A full load makes it even more jumpy and jittery. The cabin is a noisy place, intruded upon by a general din from road, wind, and the buzzy engine.
    The interior is dated and furnished with flimsy, ill-fitting trim"

14. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Consumer Reports?:mad:

They are the most biased auto reviewer on this planet.

My Dad had 2 Cavaliers in a row. a 1996 4 door sedan and he had 100,000 trouble free miles. He then traded it in for the 2002. I drove his 2002 quite often and it was a very nice sporty looking car. It performed very well and trouble free. I don't seem to ever hearing any rattles or cheap interior in that car at all and It was very comfortable to be in.

Maybe you drove a Cavalier from the early 90's or like you said you hd a rental. Rentals get beat on all the time so they are going to be a pile of shit.

Then, Two summers ago he traded the 2002 with 36,000 trouble free miles on a 2005 Dakota.

According to cwernda all cars should go 1 million miles before issues develop and 500,000 miles on an oil change.:rolleyes:

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go watch how the Cavalier fared in crash testing. It was a death trap! LMAO!

And yes, there is something wrong with being loyal to a car company. :) It is a marketting play people get sucked into because of their need to feel like they belong to a special group. :rolleyes:

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    you must live in a reality distortion field if you think crap cars like Cavaliers are "nice"

Consumer Reports is not biased IMHO. You probably think they're biased because a # of GM vehicles either don't do well in their reviews and/or have poor reliability coupled w/your living in reality distortion field.

Irregardless of their review, yes, they were rentals and my opinions and factual perceptions of the rental Cavaliers and Sunfires had nothing to do w/the review (which I didn't even look at until I posted last night).

No, they were not early 90s Cavaliers and yes, the were pieces of crap. If you don't think the interior quality of the Cavalier was crap, boy.... I've got a bridge to sell you. The interior of Cavaliers from that era were amongst the WORST interiors of ANY vehicle in that era. I'm talking about the quality of materials, fit and finish and styling. Just because they were rentals doesn't suddenly make them worse in these 3 attributes. They're the SAME vehicle.

Even Bob Lutz has admitted a # of times about GM previously have lousy interiors. Example is this from 10/21/03 http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/100660/article.html:
    "What is the number-one challenge facing GM right now? It sounds like it's changing the company's perception.

And as I say, part of the communication is how the car is put together. Because, again, you can have a totally reliable car with crooked body gaps, a door that closes with a bad sound, cheap interior plastic parts, carpets that don't quite fit. None of those things are a reliability problem or something that you go to a dealer about, but they're not nice. And it's up to us, as we've done in the Malibu, and as we will do in all of the cars we launch, that all of the sights and sounds, materials, controls and everything will contribute to sending the message of quality, as opposed to detracting from it. But you're right, it's our biggest problem — the lingering reputation that American companies, General Motors in particular, cannot produce consistent quality the way the Japanese can."

Also go look at this article from 9/02 BW Online | September 2, 2002 | Cars: What's Inside Is What Counts.

With your last statement, there you go again making up things and putting words in other people's mouths. I never said anything about that.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Focus does have an edge in emissions. With the same emission controls they'll likely be closer.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You already know he'll just say, "those crash test people are no goo either"