1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car came with only 1 KeyFob - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Cory19thFloor, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Cory19thFloor

Cory19thFloor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello, fellow Prii owners. Glad to be a new member of the club!

Our 2013 Persona edition came with only 1 smart key / key fob. We're looking to purchase a 2nd one and have it programmed. Looking for suggestions. Of course, less expensive options are preferred but I'm looking for low on the 'hassle' meter as well.

I've looked through threads already posted on the forum sites but haven't gotten the full info I'm seeking. Most refer to Gen 2 Prii.

Also, I see that there are ones with the 'A/C' button on them which are designed for remote start. Would they work on mine?

Suggestions? Thanks! :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a/c is for the plug in prius, and maybe solar roof. you can also try local lock smithy's.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes to solar. Set the target temp then hold the a c button til the vent kicks in. When target temp is reached, or hv battery dips to 2 bars, vent will stop and Prius powers off.

HUD will project to windshield during this process if hud was on/enable before powering Prius off.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe Todd at @TampaPrius.com does fobs on the side;).

Worth a call to him and see as it’s only not about 90 miles away:).

Should be low hassle(y).

bisco likes this.
  5. HoustonEvolution

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm bumping this as I didn't want to create a duplicate thread.

I'm in the same situation. Recently bought a used 2014 and it came with only one keyfob. I went online locally and see new fobs from dealerships listed at $128 to 205 (plus additional programming). I understand them charging a little more to program but to tell me it takes a full hour to program seems not real honest. Also the one who is offering at $128 charges the most to reprogram. Essentially they are using an unrealistic low price to get you in the door then they make it up in the end. Also the ONLY one to even mention cutting a key was Auto Nation and they said $150 to cut the key. (Auto nation btw also quoted 220 over the phone for the transmitter when their own web site quotes 127. I asked and they said I could do that and the programming cost would be the same.)

Name Transmitter+reprogramming=total

Don McGill Katy 205+25=230
    Fred Haas Tomball 203+68=271
    Joe Meyers Cypress 152+120=272
    Auto Nation Gulf Freewy Houston 127+147=274

6. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #6 Sanjay Goel, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was hoping that a thread like this was going to be bumped up. I just lost a fob, I still have one left. But I'm in the same boat where I'm looking for low cost way to get an extra fob.

I called a locksmith in Vegas and he said he can give me a replacement for $220. I think there's a locksmith in Southern California that can do it for $180. For now, I'll take my chances with one fob and then try to get another made for $180 when I'm in LA in a couple of months- until then I won't be able to confirm the price.

How do these prices compare to what's available out there? Houstonevolution, you should try contacting some local locksmiths and see what they charge. They should be less expensive than the dealers.

8. kingman

kingman New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i have a 2014 that only came with one fob. i went with a local locksmith and he charged $100 for new fob and $75 to program and cut key.

9. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $175 total? That's the lowest I've seen on this board for one stop shopping.

10. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well... mine was $75 + $35 with zero stop shopping - ordered both online :)

Though I still need to visit the neighborhood locksmith to get the emergency key cut.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. HoustonEvolution

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    No soubt that's awesome. I really don't want to wait until next time I'm anywhere near Kingman! I'll def take his advice and look to non-dealerships.

your idea is really tempting BUT the fobs I see all the time are about $100 and even then that's a risk that it will work at all. I've been burned on ebay used before. I'm actually in the computer field so the programming doesn't worry. Just finding good starting materials I don't have to worry about is the trick.

12. HoustonEvolution

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I do not know about locksmith type people yet. I hope to research this weekend. In my first post today is the prices of some dealerships.

13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read the attached link to the Highlander forum. Unless I'm mistaken (and I hope I am), your method was more involved on our end. We'd need to get techstream, vci cable....and do most of the work ourselves.

For a situation where we bring our fob to a dealer/locksmith and they do the work, $175 is the lowest I've seen here. I hope I'm wrong and there are lower prices out there.

14. Sanjay Goel

Sanjay Goel Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [QUOTE="HoustonEvolution, post: 2710155, member:
    your idea is really tempting BUT the fobs I see all the time are about $100 and even then that's a risk that it will work at all. I've been burned on ebay used before. I'm actually in the computer field so the programming doesn't worry. Just finding good starting materials I don't have to worry about is the trick.[/QUOTE]

I went back and checked. I was mistaken that I bought the keyfob at eBay. Actually I got it from Amazon.

15. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out Low Price Keys Low Price Keys - Car Key Replacement . The founder, Santiago, used to post here as @ovni. He moved to the Houston area a while back. When I bought my 2010 with solar roof in 2016 in California, I got new key from his San Francisco franchisee, complete with programming and cut key for something like $150-$165. It only took about 15 minutes too.

MelonPrius likes this.
  16. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thx for posting. I'll swing by the next time I'm in Orange County.

17. Aluhex

Aluhex New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm located in Orange County and don't mind programming it for $50 if you want to provide your own keyfob or I can provide one for you.

18. SFtroll

SFtroll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my 2010 Prius with only one fob about 2 years ago. I found a new fob on Amazon for $30 and found a shop called Batteries Plus Bulb. Each shop is privately owned so the price varies greatly from locations of this chain store. So I called around and found a manager at one location that charged $35 to program the fob and would cut the emergency key for another $15. The whole process took about 15 minutes and I did my own version of the chicken dance as I exited the shop. Oh yeah I had called the dealership and they wanted $210 just to program a fob that I brought in myself. If I find the link that finds shops to do low cost fob programming near you by entering your zip code I will post it.

MelonPrius and bisco like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks!

good to know they can do that kind of work

20. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for this kind of pricing and I happen to have a batteries plus bulb a few miles away. Other estimates from local locksmiths have been over $200, so thanks again for the info.