1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car didn't go into gear after impact

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gj1255, Oct 15, 2015.

1. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A pick up truck hit my parked car in a parking lot. At first it looked like body damage but when I got into the car and tried to start it - the car started, I put the gear in reverse but the car didn't reverse. It just rolled forward a little - likely because the parking brake was off. I tried a couple times and a friend tried to - the gear stick would move into the appropriate gear, but the car would actually not move. I got the car towed to a shop - it stood there for the weekend and then they moved it to their servicing area, and were able to drive the car. Any idea about why the car may have stopped and what made it go again? I want to ensure there is no long-term damage to the car and this issue doesn't become a recurring one. Investigation/repair and inspection on the car is ongoing - but will appreciate if someone has general knowledge of the inner workings of the safety features of Prius C that may be helpful. Thank you so much!

my parked car was hit by a pick-up truck. The car started up after impact but didn't go into gear or move. a day later, the guys at car shop were able to drive it out of storage area to servicing area. what happens after car is impacted - what makes it freeze up, and is there something that auto-resets? Exploring potential long-term internal damage. any help will be appreciated!!
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends how much damage there is. Post some pics.
    Did you file an insurance claim? You may want to. Tell them the car has driveability problems after the accident.

Since you didn't file a claim, its probably this was a minor tap. Either way get the car scanned for codes.

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is there is some kind of "shock sensor" that either self-resets or the shop knows how to do it.

Years ago, some cars had a safety feature that upon impact killed the fuel pump to prevent vehicle fires. If you didn't know how to reset the system, the fuel pump wouldn't start.

4. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Scan it for codes. Anything under the sun can happen. not much to go on without photos.

5. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! Yes - nothing was reset manually, so not sure why the car didn't work before and is working now. diagnostics will go on - whoever insurance refuses to pay diagnostics cost (which is entirely unfair)... :(

IMG_20151009_135632.jpg IMG_20151009_135639.jpg IMG_20151009_135639_1.jpg IMG_20151009_135645.jpg IMG_20151009_172445.jpg IMG_20151009_135639.jpg IMG_20151009_135639_1.jpg IMG_20151009_135645.jpg

Thank you! I uploaded some pictures - it seemed like a body damage issue at first, but then was more. I have filed insurance claim and am pursuing the case however the repair shop/diagnostics are taking quite long. In the meantime, I am so anxious and worried as the car is from June 2015! Trying to find additional information. Thank you so much!

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That body damage is going to be costly. But cosmetic and not really the issue you are asking about. The body damage can easily be repaired by a good body shop. I would start investigating, looking for reviews, to try to find a good one. Sounds like the accident was clearly not your fault, so try to find one that has a great reputation for quality of work.

As far as your other issue.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Look at it this way, if it is some internal switch, or sensor or software that shut it down after the impact, and it now has reset? Well it worked, and you're OK.

If it isn't, and the On again, Off again problem is indeed something more serious and re-occurs? I'd think it would be very obvious and should result in codes being presented. Of course you would want this discovered BEFORE you're back on the road in the vehicle.

In my opinion what you need and deserve at this point is simply a good Hybrid Technician and Mechanic. The investigation, inspection and repair should be thorough.

I honestly can't give you a educated answer, as I don't know the specifics of the system to the point where I could say with confidence that there is a safeguard system that automatically shuts down the vehicles ability to go into gear. I've never heard of this happening, and I would think if it was a built in action of the vehicle or software of the vehicle it would of been accompanied by a code or warning being displayed on your dash.

But I would say, as nerve wracking as it is, just continue with the investigation, inspection and repair. Since it sounds like this accident was clearly NOT your fault, make sure you're happy with the results. Hopefully you'll get a vehicle back that you can continue to enjoy and be confident in.

7. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. Yes, I took my car to a ToyotaCare/Service and Repair shop - as with hybrids it is tough to find a good mechanic, plus the car is so new it's still under warranty, and I have Toyota care maintenance plan. they are sympathetic and will perform all checks thoroughly - however, the other party's insurance is refusing to pay diagnostics costs beyond body repair - which is so unfair as the accident was entirely because of their negligence :(

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck.
    Dealing with insurance companies can be difficult.
    I would think, uneducated opinion, but if your vehicle has been impacted (not your fault) and is now demonstrating different behavior, then it SHOULD be run through complete diagnostics. It's an expense, but you deserve to get your vehicle back in as close to a pre-accident condition as possible.

I know it's daunting, but since the vehicle is so new, you may also want to investigate being reimbursed for diminished value. If it now has a reported impact and accident on it's record, it's resale value will be less. You should be compensated for that reality.

In my State any accident resulting in $1000 dollars or more damage is suppose to be reported. Once reported it goes on the vehicles record, and then will show up if someone runs a Carfax report. Obviously a vehicle with an accident in it's history is worth less than a vehicle with a clean history.

Hate to give you something else to worry about, but I would guess that body damage will be relatively expensive. It looks purely cosmetic, but simply the cost of repair at a good body shop really adds up.

9. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. You're exactly right - this is what I am trying to convey to the Insurance agent. His response is that getting the car fully diagnosed is my "choice" and "option" so I should pay for it. The way I see it, it is a requirement.
    I have already reported to the police, and will be making a report to the DMV as the damage estimate is well over $2000, the limit in my state is $750. You're absolutely right that there is a diminished value.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It looks like the wheel wasn't touched, which is good. I got hit a fair bit harder in that corner, did stove in the wheel some, needed replacement rear axle

11. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The not starting thing could just be you didn't press the start button or step on the brake before trying to shift. You are new to the car afterall. I highly doubt there's any connection between your accident and what you are describing. Did it only do it that once and never again?

12. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It did that twice - and I asked a co-worker/friend to try it out too. This other person is a long-time Prius owner - and she encountered the same problem. The gear stick moved through the slots, the actually didn't reverse or move barring the couple inches (which happens when one takes the parking brake off, and the edge of parking spots/streets/roads tend to be gently sloping to the curb). I am very certain that I turned the car on and re-tried in addition to getting someone else try - so I am definitely certain there is a problem.

13. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the main hit was on the rear corner on the driver's side - and then instead of stopping, this person decided to continue going on - as is evident from the streak that continues on to the passenger door.

14. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When you say a car "rolled a couple inches" after putting it in gear, did you confirm the car was actually in gear? Did it say "R" on the shift light indicator?

Aside from seeing if there's any check engine light illuminated, there's really nothing to inspect aside from looking to see if there's any open and obvious mechanical damage. From that kind of an impact, it is extremely unlikely your car suffered any mechanical damage.

As long as it drives fine now, I'd just chalk it up as a fluke and enjoy your car =)

15. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes - the car did show on the dash that it was in "R". If what you ask is true, then the car not actually into gear is also a problem. The check engine light did not come on. My thoughts were similar to your when I saw the body damage, however, clearly the damage is more than cosmetic. At this time I am pursuing full diagnostics with the shop guys. I'd be tempted to feel the car is now OK...however, this problem may come back if ignored at this time...

16. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you have the foot brake on when the car was hit? The only thing I can think of is the car got pushed hard enough where the locking mechanism (on a typical car--the parking pawl) and the car was unable to shift out of gear itself because the pawl had pressure on it. Once the pressure is relieved, the pin/pawl can disengage. But if you had the parking brake on then the chances of any damage are pretty much 0.

Far fetched but all I can think of. again my guess is your car did not suffer any kind of damage to its drivetrain because of this. If it makes you feel any better. Good luck!

17. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Parking brake was on when the car was hit. I do sure hope your words turn true! it would indeed be the best case scenario for me. Thank you for your help!

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you reported this accident to your insurance? You say the other insurance will not grant the diagnostics test, you need to have your insurance fight for you. Don't take the other insurance company's crap.

19. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am just hoping and praying the damage is minimal! Waiting to hear from the service shop...

20. gj1255

gj1255 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You are right - I did file a claim with my own insurance as well. But I filed with the other guy's insurance first (AAA) and they had already started processing it, so my agent told me to pursue through AAA and has been offering me suggestions. Do you know if I can still ask my own insurance to pursue the case? Thank you!