1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car died. Codes make no sense. ECU or 12v Batt?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jose Reyes, May 16, 2017.

1. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2010 Prius has 250000 miles. Car shows "Check Hybrid System" The codes pulled are P0117/ P0300/ P0301/ P0302/ P0303/ P0304/ P0401/ P3190/ P0A0F/ C1241/ C1259/ B1503/ U0155/ B2312/ C2300. HV battery replaced under warranty at 143850 miles. Any ideas? Codes dont make sense. All of these parts cannot be failing at once.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ton of codes=12V

Check it first (load test).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How do you load test?

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Remove and take it to a major auto parts store who will do it for free (hoping you'll buy a new one there if it fails).

2010? Is it the original 12v? If so, it's probably dead.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the battery is original from 2010, just change it out and get a new one. Forget the load test.

Once the car resets with the new battery, any remaining errors/faults will be picked up again.

acceleraptor and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before you say that, have you looked them up in the repair manual?

Out of the ones I recognize, I see misfires in every cylinder, plus a generic one saying there are misfires, plus one saying the engine power is reduced, one recording a failure to start, and one saying the hybrid computer has advised the braking computer that a problem exists. So far there's nothing here that would stop a diagnostician from putting a sensible picture together. It might take a bit of time to look up the rest and refine the picture to account for them also, but that's the part that usually just hasn't been done when I see threads saying "these all make no sense so I'm buying a battery."

-Chap

Lightning Racer likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's assuming you don't use a memory saver while swapping battery.

You could get a battery store to load test, or DIY with something like Solar BA5.

If the 12 volt is not the issue, in your shoes, I would invest the $100 or so in dealership diagnostic procedure, see what they come up with, report back.

8. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've ordered a 12v battery on Amazon and im going to install it this weekend. I'll go from there. Still all those codes dont make sense to me. All of these systems cannot be failing at the same time. The only other thing that might make sense to me is a bad ECU. Otherwise, im going to change the spark plugs, oil change and monitor the codes.

#8 Jose Reyes, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    were there any problems in any of the systems before it died?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can learn to make sense of them. Four of them are per-cylinder misfire codes. One of the remaining is a generic code saying there are misfires. Two more are codes reporting engine power loss or starting delay, which totally happen when cylinders are consistently misfiring. One is the brake computer saying it got a message from the hybrid computer saying there's a problem, which the hybrid computer totally sends when it knows of a power loss or starting delay with the engine, which consistent misfiring can totally cause.

Are you starting to get the idea these codes are not just somehow random?

Some of the rest would still need to be analyzed. The U codes may represent losses of communication with certain modules. A person might look in the wiring diagram to see if any of those affected modules might be supplied or fused in common with circuits that affect fuel or ignition to the engine. The fact that misfires are recorded in all four cylinders tends to weigh against a problem with just one spark plug or injector, and in favor of something further back and common to all four. Multiple codes are ften a gift to the alert diagnostician, because the answer to your problem lies somewhere in the intersection of their possible causes, and the more of them, generally the smaller that intersection is.

Not to say that a car never has a couple unrelated problems crop up at once. That does happen sometimes, so the intersection idea can mislead in those cases. But you're generally right in thinking you aren't going to see half a dozen unrelated things at once. So when you see the half-dozen things, it's a promising approach if you take them to mean just what the manual says they mean, and look for how they can be related.

-Chap

#10 ChapmanF, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Dyjital and lewalcindor like this.
  11. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Most of the codes seem to be related to the misfire event. The question is what is the cause of the misfire event. Maybe the fuel pump is weak or a clogged fuel filter. I think i'll start with new spark plugs and clear the codes. A new 12v battery, cause i've never replaced it and i dont know if the last owner did. Fingers crossed.... If the codes persist ill check the fuel pressure of the car and replace the fuel filter. Do you know if the prius has a test port?

12. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, took the car to the dealer 5,000 miles before for maintenance and they replaced the inverter coolant.The car just died while going through a drive through, about 5000 miles later.

bisco likes this.
  13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With so many miles my bet is on HG or EGR. Any knocking from ICE? Coolant loss?
    BTW, any oil burning?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I woudn't get into that just on a hunch: it's inside the gas tank. Believe it or not, in Australia periodic replacement (of the filter) is a maintenance item, still not a trivial (or cheap) task though.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The EGR is getting to be my sacrifical lamb for damn near everything that goes wrong with the engine. Maybe it's time Toyota went to bat on this. :mad:

16. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Please follow the instructions that come with the battery.
    It is highly likely that it will need to be charged overnight before being used.
    If you don't have a small charger, NOW would be a good time to look for one.

P.S. If the 12 V is going bad, it can make it look like a bad ECU.....because the voltage doesn't need to drop much before the ECU will start malfunctioning. But trying TOO hard to "make sense" of all the codes that come out often is a big mistake.

17. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, oil consumption has been okay. Maybe a quart every 3000 miles, but seemed to fix itself after i changed to synthetic. There was a coolant leak, but it was a old hose and i replaced that. I'll go ahead and give the EGR a look. Clean it and run some fuel cleaner. I did not realize that toyota is using those inbuilt filters. Still, it would be a good idea to test the fuel pump. How do you test that in a prius? Does the computer have a sensor or something?

18. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well the 12v battery is the first step, along with spark plug plugs and i'll go ahead and clean the egr.

19. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What's the HG?

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: