1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

car doesn't start - question on 12v battery and trickle charger

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kenmorem, Jul 30, 2019.

1. kenmorem

kenmorem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2010 prius. took on a trip where we used a/c more than normal. got home. parked in garage. i noticed a decent amount of water on the floor (assuming from a/c usage).

went to start car next day about 18 hours later and it's dead. assuming it's the 12v battery. but, car was acting up a bit during the trip. when we'd leave the car, it would give us a long steady beep. i think it's because my wife left other keys in the car. but, one time, i'm not sure that was the case. seems like my FOB might be low on battery or have another issue. not sure if that's related.

so, which battery do i get:

or

does the amazon version of the optima have the correct terminal attachments that won't require mods?

for a trickle charger to try and recharge the current battery, is this the right one, or do you have suggestions for something else:

Jim Bob Khooter likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't see the links, but it might be ad blocker. i would try a new fob battery first, but how old is the 12v?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you ought to be checking the 12V battery condition, fob battery condition, and try to find the reason for the beep, before automatically replacing the 12V. Unless the 12V battery is the original, in which case replacement is very likely overdue anyway.

I haven't memorized all the warning beeps, and can't find a chart in the Owner's Manual.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Normal working batteries don’t need trickle charging unless you plan not drive for many many days.

CR94 likes this.
  5. kenmorem

kenmorem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    we bought the car used last year. it has 115k miles on it. haven't checked battery yet, but will tonight.

picked up the CTECH 3300 charger on amazon. if it turns out the battery needs to be replaced, then i will return the charger.

for the FOB: i recall that i already did a battery replacement to the FOB in question. is there a chance the FOB needs replacement? most of the time, it works fine.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not usually. make sure there aren't any stuck buttons.

does the red light come on? if the battery is low, you can hold it up to the power button to start it, and you're good to go

7. kenmorem

kenmorem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i'll have to do the redlight test tonight (i bike to work).

i looked at the battery and it was a month shy of 10 years. we're buying a new one from the stealership today (OEM) for $210 + tax. will install tonight and see if that makes the difference.

RMB and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i won't say no to that, mine only lasted 7 years

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At that age, there will be no criticism for replacing it without bothering to test it first. It has had an exceptionally long life.

Jim Bob Khooter likes this.