1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Doesn't Start With First Press of Power Button

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pandas Andpresents, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Pandas Andpresents

Pandas Andpresents Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

My car isn't starting with the first press of the power button. Generally, what I am noticing is that the locks sound weaker when the car is opening. I press the power button and usually the lights on the dash will come on, but the screen (GPS, etc.) and the display for the climate control may not. Usually, if I press the power button multiple times, the car will eventually power on. If the park break was on and I take it off while trying to start the car, that usually helps.

Lately, if it is taking a very long time for the car to start, I get a hybrid system overheating warning. I have only seen this twice. I'm unsure if that is actually related to the hybrid coolant or not. I never see this message when driving the car.

Is this a simple 12 volt battery issue or is it something more serious?

Another Prius driver said something about a recall update to the car that may be causing the inverter to do something that isn't giving the car enough power. I don't really understand what he was talking about. I just know that the last time I went to the dealership during the summer with a problem (A/C compressor burnt out), they tried to take me for a ride, so any help with the diagnostics would be greatly appreciated!

Premanshu Jain likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably.
    you can take it to an auto parts store for a free load test

Pandas Andpresents likes this.
  3. Pandas Andpresents

Pandas Andpresents Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, thank you so much!

bisco likes this.
  4. Premanshu Jain

Premanshu Jain New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you get this resolved? My 2012 Prius 3 shows exactly similar issues. When it's cold or ben more than 24 hours to drive, the car won't start immediately. It feels like it takes several minutes to "Boot" the system. After 2-3 attempts to power the swith on/off, it will eventually start in 5-7 minutes.

What I observed is that even the radio will not start. Once the radio starts, then the gears engage and the car runs great.

Incidentally, this has happened after a fender bender accident the car experienced. It could be that after the accident, we aren't driving car much and it stays cold most of the time. But want to know what's the issue?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how old is the 12v?