1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Hit from Behind at Stop Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SaintLouisPrius, Aug 11, 2012.

1. SaintLouisPrius

SaintLouisPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello,

I don't know too much about cars and I would like to get everyone's opinion on something. The other day, I was waiting at a stop light when a car hit my rear bumper and shook the car a little. When I checked out the bumper, there wasn't a scratch or a dent but I'm worried about the "internal" components of my car being damaged because the car that hit me was a full-size sedan.

Am I worrying about nothing or should I have my car checked out?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

2. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well did you report it. You should at least do that. I mean if it didn't hurt the bumper it couldn't of been very hard at all and I wouldn't think there would be any damage on the inside of the bumper. You might have it checked out just to be sure.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it didn't break, crack, or even scratch the paint????
    I wouldn't worry about it.

Was there an accident report???
    Did you tell your insurance company???

If both of these are a "no"...and they should be, then I'd not worry about it. With all due respect to earlier advice??? I would NOT report this unless there is a zero percent chance that you will ever sell your car.
    If your car has been in a wreck...it's a little like having a social disease.
    Yeah, right....there are "minor" accidents, and it may not have been your fault, but just try selling your car after it's been in an fender-bender and the word "accident" gets mated to it's VIN and see if you can get a good price for it....and it's a binary condition. Either your car HAS or it HAS NOT been in an accident. ;)
    The internal components of your car are designed to get "shook up" and you do it every time you hit a bump.

Really.
    Don't worry about it!
    Get on with your life.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Something similar happened to me when I was standing in line for coffee and somebody bumped into my arm... It didn't hurt and there was no damage but I went straight to the emergency room to make sure I was ok. They said my arm was ok but that I had mental health problems and wanted me to see a psychiatrist and now I'm on like five different prescription to keep me sane! I sure am glad I went to get everything checked out. Imagine what would of happened if I hadn't of gone straight to the emergency room?

5. SaintLouisPrius

SaintLouisPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You're right, ETC. I shouldn't worry about it. I appreciate your advice. (y)

I also want to thank everyone for their input.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to the HAL Club (Hit at light club) You owe us dues!:LOL:

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 was hit harder, leaving minor bumper, grill, and license plate impressions. The shop replaced the bumper cover but didn't need to replace the foam block underneath. No other problems.

8. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like you're OK but I recently saw a Motorweek segment on importance of the hidden foam being uncompressed since it is part of the collision protection built into new cars. Who ever gets to see the parts after leaving the car at the repair shop?

9. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    January 2 of this year I was parked in a parking lot when an Escalade suv backed into my rear end. The rear bumper had to be replaced. I haven't noticed any difference in the way my car operates. Some people have expressed concern about the effects on the hybrid battery from any part of the car being painted. The concern is about the heat in the painting process. I am not knowledgable enough to know if this is a possibility.
    Anyhow it sounds like your car got more of a kiss than a hit. Best wishes.