1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car in accessory mode, won't go into gear

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ellenshana, May 28, 2018.

1. ellenshana

ellenshana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Hi. new to the forums and appreciate any input.

I have a 2012 Prius V that I bought new. Currently has 85,000 miles on it. So far have just needed routine maintenance - tires, oil changes, did have the struts replaced recently.

Current situation: drove it normally Saturday - ran errands, went to Home Depot, picked up my kid, etc. Parked in driveway as usual. Next day got in the car with the dogs and a kid and the car won't get out of accessory mode. I changed the fob batteries, tried charging the fob next to the power button, nothing.

Had AAA come out and try to jump the 12v battery and nothing, from access in the hood and the back.

Basically, all the lights on the dash are on - all the warning lights - and the radio comes on, the fan comes on, the windows go up and down - accessory mode. The car does not go into gear. You can put it in neutral or park. The battery indicator on the dash is low and when I checked it out via the MFD it showed two purple bars.as well.

I have to have it towed to the dealer, I think. My sense is that it is the hybrid battery gone bad, with no warning. The brake lights come on when you step on the brakes.

Is there anything else it could realistically be?

Thanks, folks.

2. ellenshana

ellenshana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Update - I did see there is an inverter recall that I never knew about. So that's a possibility.

I guess I'm thinking if it's the hybrid battery gone bad, that's sort of good news, as that should still be covered under warranty.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Is there a large box with a warning/error message inside the box in the right side of the display?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you push the start button without foot on the brake it'll go into accessory mode. There's a switch on the brake pedal that detects you've depressed the brake or not: maybe that's gone bad or just needs adjustment?

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Most likely the inverter. Hopefully they cover it.

6. ellenshana

ellenshana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the replies! I did not notice any additional warning other than the fact the dash is lit up like a tree...ALL the lights are on. So it's not just normal accessory mode, it's accessory mode on steroids.

Would be great if it's the inverter - that feels like the least worst of all the possibilities (though a brake switch sounds good too.)

Have a dealer "appointment" at 11:50 tomorrow so will call for a tow after I get my kids off to school. Already texted my boss early this morning (so he wouldn't think it's was a Tuesday after a holiday weekend hangover ;) to let him know.

I will let you all know what the diagnosis is when I hear it.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. ellenshana

ellenshana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    ...in the waiting room...

8. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm trying to find out if you have a problem similar to the one I had. Rare. Dealer had never seen one. Not mentioned in any of the Prius forums when searched for.

Symptoms: Dash all lit up. Won't shift into anything. But there was a message in the box.

If that is your case, I may be able to help the dealer. My fix took months, multiple occurrences, 3 replacement parts and 3 or 4 "will not starts" including two tows. The incidents could be days or months apart and multiple hundred miles apart. I was so discouraged I was ready to buy another brand. All you have to do is look on the right side of the display and see if there is a big box with a error message in it. If not, then it isn't the same issue as mine.

9. ellenshana

ellenshana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    I did not notice any message in any box and I was paying attention to everything. (I couldn't not!)

OK, dealer says diagnosis is IPM transmitter and ECU. Both are covered under the "upgraded" warranty which I guess means that Toyota added these parts to the main 100K or 150K warranty at some point during my ownership. Front desk lady was all, this is not a recall and I was all, I've done the research and please for to call someone else over here kthnxbye. I was there for a few hours and got zero work done (hello price is right, hello background footsteps, click click) BUT it is ALL going to be covered at no cost to me whatsoever, except for the inconvenience. And I got a free loaner - it's a 2017 RAV with a sunroof. I had no idea I liked that trim level. :D But the gas mileage sucks (as a prius owner, I can say that).

I'm hoping I get my car back at the end of this week. But the size capacity of the RAV is comparable to the V, which is good, because I'm constantly hauling crap around and have a bunch of house projects going on.

I will let you all know what the next step of this unfortunate journey is. Thank you for the input!

10. ellenshana

ellenshana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Oh, and they said these parts are definitely related to the inverter (is IPM inverter? I didn't ask.)

11. ellenshana

ellenshana New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Update: picked up the car today, got three miles down the road and the check engine light came on. Brought it back and they ran the diagnostics and said bad ignition coil. So that I'll have to pay for because whatcha gonna do? Never had the engine light come on before and it sure seemed coincidental, but, there it is.

So the warranty repairs would have cost me three grand but they were totally covered, and now I'll pay $228 for the ignition coil. Back in the loaner RAV and hoping to pick it up on my way home from work today.

I still like the sunroof, but am spoiled by the prius gas mpg. I read they discontinued the V this year but am not sure what they're replacing it with. I'll need to pass a car on to my son in the next few years but can't go back to a non-hybrid car. But sure would love AWD! Hopefully they'll figure it out before I have to buy something.

ozjimjam and bisco like this.
  12. lsfm

lsfm New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Did replacing the ignition coil solve the problem? Or do all parts you mentioned need to be replaced.

13. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a Rav4 hybrid coming out in a few months with 39 MPG. Can you live with that in exchange for the higher seating. They are available in 4WD.

I'm waiting till they are out and we get feedback on actual use. Then my wife wants one.