1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car insurance costs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by busyrosy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I'm sorry about posting all these questions. I'm a newb car owner, and a newb prius driver (ha!)

I had to get my car insurance rather quickly, and without much research. Right now, I'm paying ~$650/6 mths using Geico. Does that sound about right, or am I getting ripped off? I'm female, in my late 20's.

2. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Apr 24 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]244554[/snapback]</div>

If you dont mind a few credit inquiries I would call around, I have state max insurance 100/100/300 good driving record and good credit and I am paying about $520/6months if I did not pay in a lump sum it would come out to $620 or so, (same age range as well). It is not easy to compare insurance from one person to another with all the factors involved but as I stated it realy could not hurt to shop around.

3. gippah

gippah New Member

Full coverage for me added $30/mo to my insurance bill, to drive it up to a whopping $70/mo total for both of my cars.

Geico, in spite of its very successful advertising campaign, isn't the cheapest around for most people. When it's time to renew do some shopping around, you may find a better deal.

4. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a really hard question to compare as already stated, there are a ton of factors involved, not the least of which is that you are female, and right or wrong the insurance companies do use that as a factor.

I am 33, male, very clean driving record, no tickets in the last 10 years, only minor accidents, never filed a claim on my own insurance for them in the last 15 years.

I just got my Prius on Monday and my new rate is $321/ 6 Months. My old car was a 1996 Toyota 4-Runner (SUV) and I had owned it for 10 years, and my rate on that was about $270/ 6 Months for comparison.

My wife, same age, also no tickets in the last 10 years, and minor accidents, but one on our insurance has a 2004 Volvo S60 and we are paying $303/ 6 Months for her. I don't remember her previous rate on her last car though.

Hope that helps,
    Phil

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Apr 24 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]244554[/snapback]</div>

5. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Apr 24 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]244554[/snapback]</div>

Check what they have included as well as the deductibles. We have Geico and yesterday, when arranging for coverage for our soon to arrive Prius, the salesperson, talking VERY rapidily, said something that sounded like an Extended Warranty, sure enough, she had included one without asking. I think she might have included some other things we don't want/need through them so will check before activating.

We switched to Geico from Allstate due to better rates then, but that might not be the case anymore, AND if they are sneaking in unneeded or duplicated coverage then you might want to look around.

6. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

That's my next worry. I'm just wondering which direction mine is going to go. NJ has some of the highest rates in the US for any car. I was around $1700/year for my Durango. The joys of living in a densely populated commuter state. :blink:

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been insured by State Farm for the last 10 years and have had great experienes working with them. Female, late 20's, married, with multiple cars on the policy. A number of accidents at the beginning, but it's been about 5 years since my last one (knock on wood), no traffic violations on record. I can't recall the specifics of my policy off the top of my head, though I recently changed from a $1k deductible to $500, but it's very good coverage-I checked everything thoroughly before making any changes.

My monthly insurance cost went up ~$12 when I switched from my 1996 Saturn to 2006 Prius, to $85/month (or $510/6 months or $1020/year).

You might want to check around and see what kind of rates other insurance companies can offer you.

8. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

We use Erie. My wife traded in her 03 Matrix for the Prius. Same coverage on the new Prius and we are paying $74.00 LESS a year. :)

9. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Apr 24 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]244554[/snapback]</div>
    Seeing that you're in Northern California, I suggest that you get a quote from CSAA, the California State Automobile Association, the local AAA unit. Though auto insurance rates differ widely depending on age, sex, driving record, and of course on the coverages you want, when I reviewed CSAA vs GEICO and a few others upon buying my new Prius, CSAA was a far better deal ... for my situation.

There are two ways to go with CSAA: entirely on line and through an agent. The online policies are different from the agent policies, and I don't have the knowledge to compare them. Either way, yes, you do have to be a member.

10. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

ooo I found out that I can get a huge discount because I'm accident free for the past 5 yrs. I might be getting about $300 off for the year.