1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car knocking, changed spark plugs, problem persists

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jacob Bonner, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Almost certainly failing head gasket. Continuing to drive it, you're risking much more serious damage. If coolant is dropping, there's a good chance it's ending up in the cylinder, and it doesn't compress. Some time soon you could have a totalled engine.

Who's "the service guy"? Toyota dealership? Leak-down test would good, as soon as possible.

2. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: After several weeks of not losing any more coolant, I opened the hood this morning to find a SLIGHT loss (it went from between the full and low line to being barely below the low). Also, I've noticed that there is coolant residue on the top of the reservoir that must have shot out from the pressure valve in the cap. I'm thinking that pressure is building up more than before? Should I consider unplugging the EGR temporarily to see if the issue resolves? I've read that as a recommendation in a separate post on this issue.

Ever since the weather has risen above 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the misfiring upon start-up has disappeared. It seems to be linked to temperature.

#42 Jacob Bonner, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  3. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would certainly message/email/call Toyota and give a complaint about this. Maybe if enough of us complain they will take the 3rd gen misfiring seriously. I'm about ready to sell mine and go find a 2nd gen, personally. How much coolant are you losing over the period of a week? Since it is a continuous leak, if there are no visible indications of coolant in the engine bay or on the pavement then I'd say it's a good bet you've blown a head gasket. How many miles do you have on your car?

4. Swirjo

Swirjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is only 99k and my coolant is down a little after I drove 190 miles in 3 -4 days no leak I also ask the service guy to check for leak and also test the pressure on the coolant. He said is fine. I try cleaning the throttle body and egr pipe yesterday. Now it feel better on the acceleration no knocking sound. Will continue to check the coolant in few more days

Jacob Bonner and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like an improvement. You will need to clean the egr valve and egr cooler as well. Good luck!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NutzAboutBolts has a ton of Prius relevant videos that are really informative, btw.

7. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: Tonight I removed the throttle body and intake manifold to clean. Changed the PCV valve as well. Planning on installing an oil catch can, but I have to wait until I can find a 3/4 to 1/2 hose adapter. I'm attaching a picture of one of the intake ports to show how gunked up it is. I'm not entirely sure what to do. I tried using a flat-head to very carefully scrap some of the carbon off. I don't feel comfortable going any further for fear of knocking chunks down into the valves.

I've been using purple power and water to rinse it out, but not getting much carbon out. It looks similar to the intake ports in terms of carbon buildup. I didn't want to use brakleen or carb cleaner since it's plastic. Any ideas on proper way to clean intake?

Also of note: I noticed the buildup in the 2nd port (2nd from the passenger side) was sludgier/oily than the rest... not sure if that's important or not.

#47 Jacob Bonner, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Use a cheap brush set from harbor freight ;).

Carb cleaner works in the intake manifold too:).

@Grit was the cleaning expert at the last Bay Area meetup and can shed some light(y).

Jacob Bonner likes this.
  9. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Isn't the intake manifold plastic? I would use carb cleaner but I keep reading to avoid plastic with it. I might have to. I didn't realize how serious the intake manifold cleaning was until I saw this video:

10. FnRedPrius

FnRedPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Best and easiest (and messiest) solution for the intake is a can of engine cleaner, a pocket full or quarters, and a car wash. The quarters and car wash can be skipped if you have a pressure cleaner of your own.

Groundpounder17 and Jacob Bonner like this.
  11. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I'm mentally preparing for replacing the head gasket after this semester. I noticed white steam coming from the tailpipe this evening (while running the heater on full blast) and the cylinder misfiring is only getting worse. One of my questions is: should I consider lapping the valves even though it's a 2012, while I have it broken down? I don't want to put more work on myself if it's not really necessary. Is this something I can do with a drill and suction cup? I've seen others do this, but then I've heard others claim that this is a bad idea because of minor wobbles that the drill makes.

Also, should I inspect for a cracked valve cover or cracked cylinder head or both (how would one go about this?)? I admit I'm a novice, but I don't have the money to pay someone to fix this. Is the block itself aluminum?

Do I need to replace any of the coolant hoses? I have read elsewhere that that may be necessary if oil has mixed.

#51 Jacob Bonner, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Spray wd40 or any light oil into the exhaust and intake. And if they leak, lap them in.

Jacob Bonner likes this.
  13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get the cylinder head cleaned and inspected by a machine shop. They can advise you on what work will be needed. My machine shop checked over my cylinder head and found no issues with it at all. All they did was clean it up, install new valve stem seals (that I provided from the kit) and resurfaced the cylinder head. $160.

FnRedPrius and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an update: I've taken the EGR cooler and valve off and cleaned them. Oxyclean and pressure washer worked wonders on the cooler. I used carb cleaner on the valve though. Car still knocks, as I expected. While I had the windshield cowl off I switched the ignition coils around and oddly enough the misfiring has switched cylinders... could this be an indication that the problem is with the coils? If it matters, originally I had misfires on the 1st and 2nd cylinders, then I swapped the 2nd & 3rd ignition coils. Immediately I started getting 2nd & 4th misfires (if my memory is correct) -- not what one would expect. Then, as I said, the other day I swapped 2 back with 3 again, but also swapped 1 with 4. After this exchange, the misfires have been exclusively on 4. If it were a blown head gasket, wouldn't the misfires remain on consistent cylinders? I might try to replace a coil or two and see if that fixes my problem. If not, head gasket it is... there still is the matter of consistently losing a small amount of coolant.

Also, all four coils have this rusty colored marking on them. What should I make of this, if anything?

60405920_578860805970245_6970971799626448896_n.jpg

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the misfire is following the coils/plugs as you swap, that would definitely seem to be the problem.

How was the EGR condition btw?

The "rust" could be gas additives? Just googling.

Jacob Bonner and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Id swap the coils out as the rust can be impeding good transfer of spark to the plug.

#56 Raytheeagle, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Jacob Bonner likes this.
  17. Jacob Bonner

Jacob Bonner Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The EGR was about as bad as some of the others I've seen here. Couldn't see light through it -- could barely make out the individual spacers inside the cooler. The plunger in the EGR valve was tight and could barely move by itself. After some carb cleaner and silicone spray, it moves just fine now. It has 175k miles on it, so that was expected. I soaked the cooler in oxiclean maybe 5 times in 5-7 hour intervals. At first I was using a water hose on it, with no substantial results. Finally, I used a pressure washer on it and within 5 minutes it was spotless. The pressure washer is the key to this process, though I'm sure the oxiclean soaks helped to loosen the carbon. I'm planning on re-cleaning my intake manifold, this time with a similar method, as the first time I simply used a water hose and purple power.

I just bought a set of 4 Denso ignition coils off eBay for about $60 for the set. I was surprised at the price difference between eBay and Amazon on these. They're listed on Amazon at $80 per coil. I'll let everyone know if this solves my problem. I think I've figured out where my coolant is going. I looked at the reservoir this afternoon and pink coolant crust was all over the reservoir and down the side of the engine bay, so it must be leaking out of the pressure valve. I had previously assumed it was going into the cylinders.

I recently bought the OBDLinkMX+ code/data reader off Amazon so I could monitor my engine and coolant temperatures. Most of the time it stays in the 190°-198° Fahrenheit range while driving. However, I happened to open up my OBD app to check the engine temps and they were up to 235°, so I stopped the vehicle and let it cool down. After resuming my drive, the temps stayed in the 190-198 range the rest of the time. I have had this happen a couple of times before when the coolant temp light would come on briefly. I guess it's time to replace my water pump.

#57 Jacob Bonner, May 19, 2019
    mjoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If replacing the water pump, replace the temp sensor at the same time;).

175k miles is when I did ours. When you swap em out, keep us posted in the difference in resistance to spin when you compare the new one to the one you remove from service:).

Glad the pressure washer worked well. Now help me get @Mendel Leisk on board(y).

#58 Raytheeagle, May 19, 2019
    Jacob Bonner likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe a one-two punch? 'Cept with my low mileage case, one punch was all it took, lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Does that mean that even if your low mileage case doesn’t apply, you’ll concede the pressure washer as a recommendable solution :whistle:?

The Critic likes this.