1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car making metallic noise when slowing down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by js6425, Aug 3, 2017.

1. js6425

js6425 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last week, I got an oil change, tire rotation, new front brake pads replaced, and a new serpentine belt put in . I've just noticed a new noise my car makes when either slowing down (braking or even coasting). Only seems to happen once I get below 5mph or so. I took an audio recording, hopefully you can hear the noise too.

Would appreciate any expertise and insight before taking it back into the dealer! This is for a 2007 Prius.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Car.zip
      File size:
      106.1 KB
      Views:
  2. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like brakes to me. You replaced pads, probably not the rotors. Could be a warped rotor, or it could be the pads just haven't seated to the old rotors yet. Try a couple friction brakes. Get up to 35 - 40 mph, put the transmission in neutral, and brake to a stop. This eliminates regen so your car is forced to use the friction brakes. Normally these don't kick in until about 4 mph.