1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car not recognizing fob at all

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Iwill, Nov 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Iwill

Iwill New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,

For the past couple of months my 2009 has not been acknowledging my key fob at all. I can not unlock the door using the remote, and the SKS doesn’t work (I’m aware of the button under the dash). I have to use the hidden key in the fob to get into the door and then insert the fob into the slot to get the car started. I haven’t had much time do deal with it but I have,
    1. Changed the fob battery out making sure there is a red light when I press the buttons
    2. Checked to ensure no buttons on the fob are stuck
    3. Taken apart the fob completely cleaning the circuit board with hydrogen peroxide
    4. Replaced the 12v battery making sure the new one supports the SKS. (It had some serious corrosion since it had not been changed since I bought the car 6 years ago)

I have not taken it to a dealer. I would like to keep my money and do as much as I can myself. I have read forums extensively about anything fob related. I am out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tested the new 12v battery, and checked the neg to ground connection?

do you have a second fob?

3. Iwill

Iwill New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have not checked the new battery, the car starts like normal. I assumed the ground was fine since as soon as I put the bolt into the body the interior lights came on. I do not have another fob. Bought used and it only came with one and $300+ did not sound necessary to me.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on my 2004, when the 12v was low, the fob stopped working remotely, but still started the car. worth a shot i guess.
    other than that, might be a loose wire or bad p/c board

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think your first step needs to be verifying that the FOB is truly functioning. Many autoparts stores have a FOB display that will also allow you to test yours to see if it's actually transmitting. If you don't have a store that has that type display, I'd look for a local locksmith company. For example, I have a place a few miles from me called Irmo Lock and Key, they should be able to test the FOB. My concern is that the FOB isn't being recognized while outside the car, and it's also not being recognized when inside the car. I'm pretty sure those are two different sensors. The FOB works when inserted into the slot, so we know the RFID chip is being recognized and the rest of the system works.

The next step would be to verify the SKS switch is actually changing states when pressed or not pressed.

Techstream would be very convenient for this entire troubleshooting endeavor you're about to undertake...

6. Iwill

Iwill New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I went and checked to see if my fob was sending a signal, the auto zone had a tester but the lady said it was “janky” and May me be accurate, however, her key for her brand new car lit the green light on the reader and mine did not. So I have ordered a new fob. Should come in next week.

For the new fob, will the chicken dance program everything I need for sks and all?

#6 Iwill, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the chicken dance requires that you currently have a working FOB, as it's needed for some of the steps. I do know the chicken dance works, as I used it about a year ago. My son and I did it together. Did a little cut and paste into MS Word to make a printout of the procedure, did a couple dry runs first, and then used it on a new FOB. It worked perfectly the first time.

Iwill likes this.