1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car parts shortage

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Georgina Rudkus, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-16/car-parts-shortages-are-hitting-u-s-garages-creating-weeks-long-delays

Cars Get Stuck at U.S. Garages for Weeks in Spare-Parts Shortage

With no relief in sight, repair shop owners plead for patience with customers: “We lovingly refer to it as intergalactic backorder.”

By
    Michael Sasso

October 16, 2021, 8:30 AM EDT
    The world’s supply chain woes are bearing down on U.S. auto garages.

The challenge of finding spare parts as mundane as oil filters or carpeting has forced repair shops to hoard inventory, find workarounds and plead with customers for patience until a shipment comes in. Typical delays of a day or two have stretched into weeks in some cases, shop owners say.

It’s a self-feeding loop. A global semiconductor shortage has cut the production of new vehicles, leading to a surge in demand and prices of used cars and forcing people to keep their old ones longer. In turn, these vehicles need repairs, which are now increasingly being dragged by supply-chain snarls.

Cars Get Stuck at U.S. Garages in Spare-Parts Shortage | Time

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's the new normal. i have lived with plenty, and i have lived with spare.

3. Engin3_Sussie!

Engin3_Sussie! Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, it's kind of a bummer whats going. From what I understand it's not just with car parts it's happening across almost all other products too.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yip. groceries are still good, unless you have your heart set on something. i'm happy to be nourished

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My CFO just payed a bill with a comma in it for 4 new tires (20" Michelin Defenders.)
    The problem wasn't the comma, but rather finding the tires!
    We have a good family friend in the biz, and his national distributor had to scratch around for the 4 we got, and he said that he spends far more time LOOKING for tires than he does installing them.

Of course, they're also not getting any cheaper, but then...INFLATION is exactly what it says it is.