1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Pool (HOV) sticker. When will they be issued again??

Discussion in 'Prius Tax Credit Discussion' started by BayAreaPrius1, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BayAreaPrius1

BayAreaPrius1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anyone have info on when the next open application time will be for new Prius owners to get a set of HOV stickers?
    I purchased my Prius in March and was told by the dealer that the CA Dept. of Transportation randomly decides when to release more stickers.
    Through the DMV website I found the application page for the stickers and thought I'd try it anyway. I received a letter with my $8 check stapled to it stating California has reached the limit of 85,000 stickers, etc, etc...

I'm hoping someone has inside info on when I can apply again, so that I can get a set before they reach whatever limit the state decides to set next.
    Thanks.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Never.

They've reached the limit and are no longer issuing any. They are set to expire Jan. 2011 and there is no word on any extension, so even those that have them may not be able to use them after that date.

The only way to get a legitimate HOV sticker now is to own an all electric vehicle or one that runs on something like hydrogen or natural gas. They qualify for a silver instead of gold sticker.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or, buy a used Prius (or Honda Civic Hybrid/Insight) that is equipped with CA DMV carpool stickers.

4. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It would be great to have a sticker, but they sure are ugly.

5. BayAreaPrius1

BayAreaPrius1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Very true. And for that reason I was a bit apprehensive even about applying for the stickers. Wasn't sure it was worth having to put all those stickers all over my beautiful car.

6. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    let me tell you...in L.A. traffic it is definitely worth putting up with the ugly look for the opportunity to travel in the car pool lanes.
    and on Jan 2nd, 2011 I'll take those ugly stickers off and sit in traffic just like you.

7. mattattack

mattattack New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The application is readily available, but the only problem is if they're accepting them or not. I filled one out and sent it in and I just got my Prius about a month ago. If I don't hear from them, then I know they're definitely not accepting them. It's pretty stupid I think, that only 80K Priuses or Prii or Prius (however you would pluralize that) were allowed that HOV sticker when more than half a million have sold...and counting!!

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps you have not seen the following CA DMV webpage:
    Clean Air Stickers - High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lane Usage

"The 85,000 Clean Air Vehicle Stickers (yellow) that VC §5205.5 allows for hybrid vehicles have been assigned. Original Clean Air Stickers will no longer be issued to hybrids; however, substitute stickers may be issued if the original is damaged."

The point of the carpool sticker program was to encourage motorists to purchase hgh mpg hybrids at a time when they were suspect and vaguely disreputable. Regarding Prius, I think that time has passed, don't you?

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This sounds like a vote for public transportation. They sure did a good job with that in L.A. :rolleyes:

Tom

10. lalawhite

lalawhite New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    hmmm... definitely no more stickers available and your dealer should have known that. I think the initial offering was for 75,000 stickers which they changed in 2006 to include an additional 10,000. It hasn't changed since than so your dealer should have known better! You had either a very shady or very ignorant dealer!

11. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    one can always hope that the 85,000 hybrid stickers expire in 2011 and are replaced with newer stickers that are even more harder to get.. heh

kind of like ummmm "my coke rewards!!!!"

12. gunguy05

gunguy05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What a load of crap. You have to buy??? HOV stickers for your car in California? In Atl. anyone can drive in the HOV lane... if they are truly a HOV. Seems like if you are in a Hybrid, then all Hybrids should be able to use the lane even w/o a sticker... guess not in the Communistfornia.

13. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah i always thought it was a load of crap too, theres like 1 million motorcycles, none of which require stickers, but only like 100,000 or so prius cars

14. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, mattattack & rigormortis,

These 85,000 stickers weren't just for Prius but for all qualifying hybrids on a first come, first served basis. They are "clean air vehicle stickers" (as Pat Wong pointed out), not Prius stickers. I suspect the reason they're not required for motorcycles (they ARE easily identifyable as such) & ARE required for the hybrids is because the hybrid cars are not as readily identifyable. Sure, many of us hybrid owners can easily spot a Honda Insight or Toyota Prius by their unique shapes, but the general public & some law enforcement are probably still not familiar enough with them even at this late time frame. So the stickers being on all 4 sides of the car tell everybody "Don't sweat it, this car is O.K. in the HOV lane". I have not forgotten about the Honda Civic, or the Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander, & Lexus SUV hybrids (which are not uniquely identifyable). Tell me how the public or law enforcement can easily tell if one of those in the HOV lane is O.K. or not when it's whizzing by & the only hybrid identification on most of them is a tiny emblem on the car's rear---that's why the stickers were issued [they're bigger & reflective (aren't they?)]. I don't think the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, or Lexus sedan hybrids were out yet when the stickers were still being issued, but those are 4 more hybrids that would be hard to identify as hybrids while on the fly.

As Godiva pointed out, there are still stickers available (but not the gold/yellow ones for the hybrids---just silver ones for hydrogen, natural gas, or all-electric cars). So maybe if some of you go for the Chevy Volt when it finally comes out in 2015 (he,he), there may still be some of the silver ones left for you.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

15. opus17

opus17 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Only the Insight, Prius and Civic Hybrids made the cut -- no other hybrid was able to get a yellow sticker in California.

16. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    at the time the HOV-Clean Air Sticker program was implemented, it was used as an incentive for consumers to purchase a hybrid vehicle that exceeded 40mpg.
    so only the high mpg vehicles were eligible. and only a certain number of stickers were available for each vehicle brand.

17. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ahh, I see! With avocadoman1's explanation, I now understand the limitations opus17 spoke of [which I wasn't aware of (not being from California)]. Connecticut also used a hybrid purchase incentive with the "40 MPG or better" basis for their sales tax exemption which just ended 2 days ago (unless they have extended it---I haven't heard anything yet about a posssible extension of it). Thanks for clarifying the requirements for me & pointing out my errors.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

18. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To state the obvious and present a dilemma: The reason for the HOV stickers is to give an incentive to buy the highest MPG cars, the reward is being able to avoid gridlock, to bypass the bumper to bumper stop and go traffic, and to get to destinations faster. The number of stickers was limited because if there are too many drivers using the HOV lane, it too will be in gridlock and there will be no such reward. That has happened where i live, Los Angeles. Most of the time, during rush hour, the carpool lanes are as slow and jammed as the others. Apparently too many stickers were given out to benefit people in the most densely populated areas, during rush hour at least, though at certain times of the day the carpool lanes are better than the other lanes. (i'm talking mainly about the 405 and 10 freeways which i travel a lot. Another problem is that these most travelled and congested of all freeways lack HOV lanes along many vast heavily used routes).

A solution might be to convert two lanes to HOV instead of one, but that of course will increase gridlock for everyone else, not exactly fair since not only are hybrid cars too expensive for most people, but also, the limit on the number of stickers assigned prevents people who can afford the cars from enjoying the reward and forces them into the gridlock too, if they can't get a sticker.

i hate traffic. I find my self in the infuriating position where, i work for the County (as a social worker) and am required for my job to carry out the State of California's mandates which include a minimum of once a month visits to all clients assigned to me, this is not a situation where carpooling is possible, i'm required to have a well running car for my job so that i can carry out the state's required services which are individually assigned to me. So the same state that mandates that i be out alone in my car every day doing its work, punishes me for carrying out its demands that i be out there alone in my car by denying me some kind of waiver of the high occupancy rule in order to enhance the efficiency of doing what it, the state, insists that i do. :eek:hwell:

19. jrthomasjr

jrthomasjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a recommendation for everyone that wants to get California carpool stickers. There are 85,000 of them out there. Go buy a used Prius that has the stickers. (I love that the state only charged $8 for the original stickers.)

I just purchased a 2004 Prius with carpool stickers. (And for the record, I agree with others that the stickers are ugly but it sure makes the web searches easy. You can spot them in any picture that might get posted but I digress.)

I registered at Auto Trader .com and set up a free daily search. I used the keyword "carpool" because those stickers are advertised as a feature just like the Nav System or JBL premium sound. I got a hit nearly every day for about 3 weeks by searching a 50 mile radius around Los Angeles. (There was an ad for a 2002 with 198,000 miles that wouldn't start cause the main battery was dead. But, they figured the Calif carpool stickers were worth $2000. Asking price $2500. Too funny.)

In essense, I paid $11.5K for car pool lane stickers and they came with a free Prius attached... :D

20. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    HOV? Wth is HOV?

(I know, but we just don't have them here. A guy a few doors down across the street moved in and has a Prius. I thought the yellow stickers on his rear bumper were actually paint damage and that the yellow was the plastic showing through)