1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car refused to go in neutral at the car wash today

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by techie47, Dec 29, 2019.

1. techie47

techie47 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Has anyone had issues puting the PIP in neutral at the car wash when you get on the moving metal ramp that moves the car? The car drove me crazy as it refused to go in neutral three times,but it eventualy went into neutral. I was flipping out like Wth. I dont know if it was because as the ramp was moving ,and I mashed the brakes to change the shifter that caused it.

2. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    You have to hold the shifter in the N position for about a second for it to go into neutral. You don't need to be holding the brakes, and can do this while the car is moving.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12v health

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My memory of my Gen 3 Prius was that you had to calmly hold the switch at the N position for a heartbeat or two.

I know the first time I went to a drive-thru car wash, I tried to pop it into neutral too quickly and it wasn't going and I freaked out and panicked, which only made me go faster---which continued the reality that it wasn't going into neutral.

As soon as I realized I just needed to slow down, and do it calmly...it was never a problem again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. techie47

techie47 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Folks, thanks for taking the time to write your responces. From your responces, I can see now that it was human error on my part. I bow down to you guys ,and I admit that I was the moron and not the car.