1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car revving high as I brake and at idle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RTracy, Oct 11, 2018.

1. RTracy

RTracy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tonight my car started rivving up as I was braking stopped after 20 seconds or so. Did it again two more times on way home. Pulled into drive and it did it even in park. Not sure what to do next. Closest dealership is an hours drive away dont know if I should chance it.

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. The throttle assembly may have being clogged with lots of carbon deposits, especially on the butterfly thingy.

You could remove and service that with carb cleaner, or remove the air intake hose, and spray the carb cleaner into the throttle assembly, as the engine is idling (trying putting the engine on inspection mode or something, to allow for extended idling).

2. There maybe a vacuum leak somewhere, that's allowing unmetered air into the engine.
    That might account for the high revving. The ECU is trying to compensate for a lean situation.

3. The throttle assembly might be faulty (I mean, the electronic small motor that controls idling).

Keep us posted pls

RTracy and Pluggo like this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The engine will rev if the traction battery is full to keep from overcharging the battery

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW, the one instance I've noticed engine rev up, and it's quite reliable, is after having the 12 volt battery disconnected. For the next maybe 2 start up, it'll rev up for a few seconds, like it's going through some calibration.

sega64 and scona like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    hybrid battery might be going south, how many miles on her?

i would risk the drive to the dealer

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. RTracy

RTracy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got the throttle cleaned and revving stopped. But now gas millage is way down. Could it be air leakage?

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any check engine light on the dashboard? If no, check the spark plugs. If worn excessively, they'd cause poor mpg issues.