1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car still won’t start after installing new battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Keith Moser, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    47B85630-3A8B-4F43-AC59-1973594FE23E.jpeg My 2006 Prius wouldn’t start one day. All of the warning lights were on. Even the dreaded triangle. Went to auto store where they found 12 volt battery was only producing 6 volts. I bought new battery and installed it. When I went to start the car it wouldn’t start the first time but started the second time.

It still had all of the warning lights and the top portion of screen wasn’t working. I turned it off after a few minutes and looked up how to reser so the screen doesn’t show all warning lights. I didn’t find anything but was told to check the auto window. I went back to start car and it doesn’t start. I hear a clicking sound in the area of the battery. I doesn’t start. I tried several times. Help please.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you bought an Optima 12v battery, that's the problem... They sell junk batteries...

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a multi meter? Check the resting voltage at the jump points under the hood after turning the car off and letting it sit for an hour or so. Do ignore Priuscampers non advice. He has some weird hatred of Optima battery’s for some reason. Optima battery’s and HID headlights.

toymo, edthefox5 and TomB985 like this.
  4. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don’t have a multi meter. I guess I will need to buy that tomorrow. I am charging the battery with a smart battery charger tonight.

bisco likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A 12V battery producing 6v is so beyond dead, that it doesn't "just happen". That's a significant drain for considerable time or a very very very long time of it not being driven.

You put in your own new 12v battery? Make sure you got the terminals correct and make sure you got the right battery. There was a case just last month where a stupid auto-shop gave a customer a 6v golf cart battery for their Prius, meaning it was supposed to be 6v which will never work in a 12v vehicle.

By "wouldn't start one day" is that, it was being driven every day and then just one day it died? Or is it "I left it alone as I traveled the world for 5 years and when I came back it wouldn't start"? Both can happen, both very different. Similarly did you leave a light on? Do you make sure to lock the car when you leave it (makes sure no door is ajar so no door dome light would illuminate)?

More details needed.

SFO likes this.
  6. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The car is used everyday. When I drove home the night before it didn’t start the dreaded triangle popped up on the dash. I park it in the garage and never lock it when in garage. The doors are always shut correctly. I always watch to make sure there’s no light on. Just the way I was raised. The next morning I went to start it and everything turned on but the engine. I checked the both rear brake lights worked. Again everything but the engine came on. I went to Autozone to get the battery. They checked the old one as I stated before. I watch as he went through his computer to get the right battery. I’m using a battery charger to charge it all the way tonight. The last I looked it was at 80% charged. I don’t know how old the battery was. We bought it used two years ago. We replaced the big battery earlier this year. I hope I answered the questions you had.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are lots of things that drain the battery besides the lights if the doors aren't fully shut. It is a good habit to lock them, because it will immediately complain if a door is ajar. Sometimes, you can't tell at all. Sometimes your plunger in the door wears out and it senses the door open when it is mechanically shut. No way to visibly inspect that, you just need to try to tell the car to lock and it will say it can't because the door is open.

In a Prius there is no way for "everything to turn on except the engine". If the car goes into READY mode, the 12v aux battery is out of the equation. There is no starter, no alternator. The 12v battery flips some relays and the big traction battery spins up the engine with MG1.

There is also zero usefulness in having Autozone "check" the battery. The Prius doesn't crank, so their tests are completely meaningless.

SFO, Skibob and TomB985 like this.
  8. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    After charging battery overnight, according to the battery charger it reads 12.6 volts. Still won’t start.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you first noticed the car was dead did you try jump starting it?

Also the "top portion of the screen" is the dashboard assy its called the Combo meter here. Very very common for it to fail seeing lots of those right now. Members here sell the rebuilt board.

Use the search forum button up top and search

combo meter

lots of info on there. I just replaced mine the part cost $100 for a rebuilt circuit board.

As far as the car dead here's the smartest thing you can do. Buy a Toyota OBD II tester. It works with a laptop and will harvest all the trouble codes the car is logging with all the lights on the dash. It will tell you exactly what its unhappy about. Go on amazon and buy a VXDIAG Powered by Toyota techstream $66. I have one it works great.

It has the proprietary software same as the dealer uses. Its a must if you own a 12 year old prius.
    Without those codes we are all just guessing.

Skibob likes this.
  10. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The screen I was referring too is the the touchscreen for radio, battery performance, etc. sorry I wasn’t clear with that. Now we have to decide to get the VXDIAG or just have it towed to the only mechanic who fixes hybrids in town.

11. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don’t know if this matters. Checked battery just now. This is 8 hours after fully charged. It registered at 12.7 volts but 90% charged. I didn’t know if that is normal or not. Does a battery lose that much charge just by sitting for 8 hours? Is it because this is a new battery?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what hybrid battery did you replace the original with?

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Duralast Platinum

14. toymo

toymo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what did you replace the big battery with earlier this year?

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I ask if it was jumped because that's the main reason you get blown fuses messing around with the 12 volt battery. many people on this site have blown there Prius up reverse polarity jumping the car as they attached or attempted to attach the battery jumper leads directly to the battery in the trunk instead of the jump lead under the hood.

kenoarto likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where was the charge at to begin with?

18. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You would think it would at least start the car though
    It was at 12.7

19. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did not charge the old battery. I did charge the new one. I charged it correctly under the hood.

20. Keith Moser

Keith Moser New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It was a refurbished. I know it is still under warranty.