1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

car stopped running, 4 codes pulled

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Jan 8, 2014.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Break out the jumper wires lol

2. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    JC, do the brake lights come on when you press the brake pedal?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok, this is strange. I tried to press down on the brake to start the car again. Same result, no dice. However I had my foot on the brake and press the start button to shut down.....it wouldn't shut down. It will only shut down when my foot is off the brake.

Tried on my 06 and I can shut down normally even with foot on the brake.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you need the circuit of the brake switch I can post it.

John (Britprius)

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes brake lights come on!! Damn switch is probably not the problem

6. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not necessarily because there's 2 sets of contacts. Do you have any jumper wires? and Brit, what color wires turn on the brakes?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

sorry no jumpers here.

8. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a plug that plugs into the brake light switch or are the wires soldered? You may have to follow the wires back to find a plug. If you find one, unplug it and get a paper clip. After unplugging, insert the paper clip to connect the blue and black wires together. Then see if the brakes are on. If so, try to turn the car on as if the brake pedal was depressed. If not, report back here.

Brit, pls post the diagram

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

From what I can see, it's a plug that plugs into the brake light.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The green and orange on NC contacts go into the hybrid control ECU but cannot easily trace the blue and black on the NO contacts, but would think these would operate the brake lights. I miss quoted the number of pages this runs across it is 7. Pulling the brake switch connector and linking blue and black with a paper clip should prove the switch one way or the other. This would open the NC and close the NO connections.

John (Britprius)

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to Oreilly's to pick up a switch. It'll cut down on the guess work. Will report back on this issue.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If it would help I can PM all 7 pages to JCp1006 but it will be in the morning as it's getting late here.

John (Britprius)

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

John,

I should be ok, I'm putting a new switch. Everyone seems to think this is the first step in figuring out what's wrong with this car. Thanks

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you all that have participated and commented on this thread. Once I get this switch put in, I will ask for your help again.....

Britprius likes this.
  15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it matters. You need the correct brake switch that has two sets of contacts, with one set normally closed and the other normally open.

If you think about it, there is no way that the cruise control ECU would have a clue that the brake switch has a problem, unless there are two sets of contacts. The ECU receives voltage from both switches. It can tell there is a problem if both switches show 0 volts. Normally, one switch will show 12V while the other shows 0V.

I doubt that adjustment will help here, since the brake lights work properly. Just because the brake lights work, is NOT proof that both sets of contacts in the switch are operational. Only one set of contacts is required for the brake lights to turn on.

Most likely one set of contacts within the switch has failed and this is very easy to verify if the OP would use an ohmmeter to measure resistance across both sets of contacts with the brake pedal up, and then again with the brake pedal down.

I would also suggest against using some no-name switch from a discount auto parts store. Buy the correct Toyota part.

usnavystgc likes this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

ok, I'll get an ohmmeter and test it tomorrow. If there's a test to test the switch, even better. I'm usually against buying non OEM as well, but this car might never travel the roads again. This could end up being my car if the owner doesn't want it, and I would simply use it as an educational piece. Like a high school auto shop unit.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know why my car won't shut down when the brake is pressed? My 06 and 08 don't have this issue, this 2005 won't shut down when the brake is depressed. Is this a symptom of a bad brake switch? A short that won't allow car to shut down?

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should not have to press the brake pedal, while pressing the POWER button to turn off the car.

Is the speedometer working? If not, the combination meter needs to be replaced.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I don't know if the speedometer is working, I can't get the car to the point where it would show me anything on the speedometer. Maybe after the brake light switch test.

I don't mean I have to press the brake to shut off the car. My meaning is pressing the brake while pressing the power button at the same time prevents it from shutting down. This cannot be normal, something is not right.

It shuts down normally if I don't press the brake at the same time. My other cars won't have that issue of shutting down. It will shutdown regardless of brake being pressed or not.

20. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would bet this has to do with your brake light switch being defective. I don't know why its doing that but, it is. You kind of have to ignore everything else thats wrong with it until you get the brake light switch working. Don't get too far in the weeds. Keep it simple.

Here's what we know, 1) the car doesn't even turn on correctly, 2) its giving a code for a bad brake light switch, 3) The brake light switch has to be working properly for the car to turn on correctly. With that in mind, we cannot even attempt to address any other problem. We have to get the car to turn on and hopefully give us a ready light. Also, keep in mind that GOOD, RELIABLE 12V power is a must for any troubleshooting both now and in the future. I would highly recommend hooking up a battery charger/maintainer to the battery asap. This will allow us to confidently rule out weak 12V power as a cause to any symptom. I don't know about anyone else but, I'm already suspecting a weak 12V battery that may be either causing the problems or compounding our efforts to troubleshoot them. It may very well be what's not allowing you to turn the car off with the brake depressed.

Britprius likes this.