1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car stops when I go downhill and need to stop the car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cookiemonsta, Aug 1, 2017.

1. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello I recently bought a scond hand car 2008 Toyota Prius, when driving on a flat road there is no problem but as soon as I need to go downhill and because I was just testing the car and I press the break the engine shut off and I am not sure what I did wrong, the car didn't start driving even pressing the gas, is there anything I should do prior braking a car downhill or uphill, I appreciate your comments.

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius engine ONLY runs when needed to supply power to the drive motor(s), so having it shut off is nothing to worry about - normal operation.

Why it would not drive is a different matter and we would need more information to help.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Something is definitely wrong. A Prius uses the gas and brake pedals like any other car. Nothing special needed. But we would need more information to be able to give advice.

Did it ever start again, or did you have to have it towed somewhere? Are there any trouble codes? How is the 12V battery condition?

By the way, welcome. I love visiting the Czech Republic and have lots of friends in Brno and Prague.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hybrid operate differently than "regular" cars.

Going downhill the car will coast (engine off) and if pressing the gas pedal while going downhill may just run the electric motor (very, very quiet) and not need the gasoline engine. Going up the next hill, the gas engine should come on especially if pressing the gas pedal a lot.

The gasoline engine and electric motor may run independent or together depending on the circumstances.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! how many km on her?

why would you buy a car that did that?

6. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the same reason we bought one with a leaking water pump.....

It was not when purchased ;)

7. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The seller told me the car is in good condition and he got the information also that the car works fine, when I went downhill I put the break on for a few seconds as I was just testing the breaks in this moment I didn't hear the sound of the engine, then I put the gas on and the car was stop, I had to start all over again.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm, not understanding what the problem is. Does stopped mean not moving, or engine shut off? Do you understand how a Prius operates?

How many km on her?

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think we may be experiencing a minor language barrier. Just to be sure, do you mean the car shut itself off and you had to put your foot on the brake and press the start button, or just that the engine stopped running? You should not have to press the power button again, but the engine is supposed to stop running when you stop, once the engine has warmed up. Press the gas pedal and it goes.

10. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What other information would you need please let me know!

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See posts 3, 5, 8, and 9.

12. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I live in Prague, the guy who sold it speaks perfectly and he knows a lot about car, the car is comming from Denmark, this is my first hybrid car, I can only drive on automatic, I can't drive on manual and I see this one has 2 things I didn't know before the left pedal on the left corner and the P (parking button), so when I went downhill and pressed the break, the P automatically was turned on, is this normal? Then I put the gas on the car didn't move, it was like if twas on PARKING, I tried then to press the P button again and it didn't turned off... so I decided to put it back to neutral turn off the engine and start over.

13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think we have a bit of a language barrier here.

With a hybrid car, the engine is SUPPOSED to stop running any time the brakes are in use (well most of the time). That is perfectly normal.
    Then it will stay off while the car is sitting still.......and then start running again as you move off from a stop. Still perfectly normal.

Or did I mis-understand what you are saying.

Edit: Yes now I see that you have supplied some more details which makes it sound like there IS something wrong......maybe.

That "left hand" pedal likely is the parking brake and should NOT be use in normal operation.
    But I think some more details might still be missing.

14. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so far 110 km it is 2008, I don't know anything about hybrids, and I wasn't lucky with that. The car stops and the engine seems to stop because I give gas and is not moving, I don't hear anything, but I know from the manual that the car will use the hybrid engine if I go before 45km per hour so it is normal not to hear the engine but if I give the gas it should start moving or not?

15. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes I understand the car shut off I know this type this does that to save the gas, so that I know is normal but when you stop then you put the pedal on to give the gas and should start moving, I did that and it didn't move.. it was like it was shut off completely and I couldn't do anything... can I ask if the screen with the info should also shut down when breaking completely or should I still see the Kilometrage info etc.?

16. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New yes I understand the car shut off I know this type this does that to save the gas, so that I know is normal but when you stop then you put the pedal on to give the gas and should start moving, I did that and it didn't move.. it was like it was shut off completely and I couldn't do anything... can I ask if the screen with the info should also shut down when breaking completely or should I still see the Kilometrage info etc.?

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think this is where I'm confused. Are you talking about the brake pedal like in any other car? If so, there's no way the car should put itself in Park. And, if it is in park, you just put it in drive and go as with any other car.

Does it have a manual? It helps a lot to read the driving part of that, but there is nothing all that different in how you drive. The main difference is that you electronically change from Park to Neutral or Drive or Reverse with the shift knob that looks like a joystick. It also had a "B" position, which is for engine braking going down big hills and is rarely needed. To put it in Park, you push the "P" button. There is an indicator on the dash that shows you if you are in Drive, Park, or whatever.

If, by the pedal on the left corner, you mean the parking brake, the American models do not go into Park when you press it, but I do not know about the European version.

Here's a link to a nice document for the American version of your car that may be helpful. http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius_User-Guide_iconic.pdf

cookiemonsta likes this.
  18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know what? I'm almost sure you have an almost dead 12V battery. Over here, we can have our tested for free at most car parts stores. I never noticed if you have that service in the Czech. But I'd do that next. What you're describing is not normal at all and weird things happen when the 12V battery gets low.

19. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I am talking about the break pedal next to the gas pedal, when I press the break pedal and stop the car, the P turns green automatically I thought it was normal as I didn't touch anything. It's like I break and the P turn on as well.

20. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you I think they have never changed the battery, is this very expensive ? I am almost sure they can do that here but I am not for sure if they can do that for free... but I will check it. But can you please tell when it is normal for the P button to turn on? Does this ever turns on automatically.?