1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car stops when I go downhill and need to stop the car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cookiemonsta, Aug 1, 2017.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car will go into Park if you stop and then press the Park button. Or it will automatically put itself into Park if you turn off the car with the Start button.

Ignore my comment below that I grayed out since I couldn't find a line out. @ChapmanF corrected my misunderstanding below in #38. Thanks, Chap!

The 12V battery closes a relay that connects the big battery to the car and it also powers the computers. There is a mechanism in the transaxle that engages a "parking pawl" with notches in a part of the transaxle shaft. It is held out of Park electrically so, if the voltage on the battery gets too low to run the computers or keep that relay closed, that will release the parking pawl and the spring will engage it. If the car is moving when that happens, it could cause serious damage.

#21 jerrymildred, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might also have a bad display. are you not getting any warning lights on the dash?

3. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Than you Jerry for your reply, I didn't press the button I saw several times that every time I break with the pedal, and I break completely, the P button turns on, then even I give gas the car won't continue driving, I didn't touch the TURN ON button until I realized it was completely turned off and I should start over again, I also tried it on a normal flat road and the same happened, the car turned off completely without me touch the P button this is the reason I feel that I might do something after stoping the car, I press the P button to turn it off like on any other car but it didn't turn off.
    So my guess is that the P button is going crazy maybe? Because if I press it again it should be turned off as the way I want it, what could stop the P button to turn off, only when the car is completely turned off, something that doesn't happen when only stopping the car on a road, correct?

4. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the technical part I didn't understand very well, but I assume that you mean it is dangerous to drive when the P button is on, I'm not sure if this is what you mean to say. But do you still feel the issue is the battery, do you have information how much it might cost, I am very sad I have to start spending money on it :( but I hope is something that can be repaired as well...

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the p button only puts it in park. pressing again doesn't do anything. you need to put your foot on the brake and use the shifter.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no warnings on the display, the car is always the same...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you going to try to fix it yourself?

8. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so when the P button is on, I have to press the break pedal and place the shifter on ( D ) is this every time I stop the car that I have to do that, I usually don't do that on the automatic cars, I stop and continue driving without changing the P to N or to D, but this looks then like a manual car, like every time I start driving after a traffic light I must press the break pedal, and place the D again?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. it should not place itself in park every time you stop. it works like a regular car, except the engine turning on and off as it is programmed.

10. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't dare to touch it of course, I am not an expert and I can't even drive it, how do you think I would risk more? :D

bisco likes this.
  11. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok so now I see the failure, because every time I stop completely the P button is turning on to green.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    got it. that is very strange. is there someone that can test the 12 volt battery for you? or charge it?

13. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope so, but here is late I should do that Thursday, I think you are the second person on this forum that think the problem is the battery, I hope it is that and nothing expensive, still have no idea how much the battery from a hybrid car might cost, because I assume they are special batteries for hybrids, or not?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hybrid battery is a few thousand dollars here. the 12 volt battery is around $200. can you buy on line?
    if the hybrid battery is bad, you will get a red triangle on the dash. there is no warning for a bad 12v.

15. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok I thought it was the battery so I guess 12v is something else, I will check it soon and I'll update you.. Thank you so far for all the replies I got a lot of help an dinformation. Regards,!

bisco likes this.
  16. cookiemonsta

cookiemonsta New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all I will up to date you after checking the 12v battery.

17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There you go. It's pretty nearly standard procedure to check the 12V battery when strange things happen. Once you know that's OK, then you can begin troubleshooting if there is still a problem. A low 12V can cause a variety of symptoms, but this is the first time I've heard of anything like what you are experiencing.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just for accuracy's sake, it works a little differently. There's a (powerfully geared) small electric motor on the transaxle case, which drives the parking pawl into the parked or free positions. It has to be electrically driven in either direction. When not being driven, it just stays put.

It also has the odd feature that you can't just put 12 volts on it to make it spin. It has separate connections to several different pole coils, and the "transmission control ECU" has to make it spin, in either direction, by sending pulses to the right coils with the right sequence and timing. That makes it pretty hard to "hotwire", which is part of the design; because the car doesn't have a steering-column lock to serve as an antitheft feature, the difficult-to-spoof (and difficult-to-get-to) parking motor is what checks that box.

Needless to say, that makes it something that won't just happen to drop into Park because of a power interruption or something; the transmission control ECU has to really want to park you, and have power available to do it.

-Chap

fotomoto likes this.
  19. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All this talk about the 12v Battery being bad, but I have a question. When the car is in Ready mode, doesn't the DC-DC inverter supply nearly 14volts to the 12volt bus to charge the 12v battery? Once the car is in Ready mode, you should be able to completely disconnect the 12v battery and operate the car in every normal manner until you turn it off with the Power button. I just don't see how a bad 12v battery could affect the car when it is in Ready mode - unless it has an internal short dragging the voltage supplied by the DC-DC inverter down to less than something like 11 volts and I would think a fuse would be blowing at that point.

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the battery is bad enough, it will drag down the whole bus. Many amps can be drawn before it is a problem for a fuse. Additionally when READYing the car, it does some calibration and when the 12v is low, all these settings are wrong. It is quite possible this is 12v related. Especially since it sounds like it was shipped from Denmark to the Czech Republic to a new owner which means it sat for a bit.

The only way for the "P" to light up on the combination meter is if the car sends the CAN message to engage Park. There are no other ways of that happening, the combo meter only reads CAN codes.