1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car turned off suddenly, won't restart or go into ready mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Fatmatt86, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I was driving my 2007 Toyota Prius base model today and I came to a stop light. Suddenly my car turned off out of nowhere, attempted to restart the car and it would not turn on. I turn my emergency hazards on and they came on. My headlights and brake lights are working. I have power.the button that you press does not light up and on the dash it does not show the normal ready mode. The battery was replaced back in January. Something under the hood smells like a burnt wire, but I have yet to locate any burnt wire or fuses. I have checked every fuse and have also checked every relay. Has anyone else had a similar problem or might know where to look next. I have also tried sticking my key fob into the slot. It beeps when inserted while I have the door open, but does not go into ready mode. Try jumping it in the front of the Prius under the hood as well as hooking up jumper cables to the auxiliary battery in the back of the car, still wouldn't turn on or even go into neutral. The Prius has been towed and it's sitting now in my driveway. This all happened today. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My guess is the AM2 fuse blew (it a big metal fuse; doesn't look like a regular fuse). You're in luck, there's a great prius resource who serves the DFW metro-mess: Texas Prius Battery Replacement

GOOD LUCK!

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the OBD2 codes, you most likely have a P0A93... aka a bad inverter pump.

Turn on the vehicle and look for turbulence in the inverter pump coolant reservoir, if you don't see such or are unsure, then take a stick or a finger and touch the pump and feel for a vibration.

Don't replace the AM2 fuse without replacing the inverter pump first, as it will blow again.

4. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Think your on to something. I just noticed the AM2 fuse was blown so stuck a new one in My car display came on briefly and was in ready mode. Tried to start it and saw smoke. Didn't burn the fuse though, but display won't come back on again. Even tried another fuse and it didn't do anything.

5. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm currently unable to run any codes. I do have a FIXD OBD sensor but it won't pull any codes unless it's in aux mode or running.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, the fuse is most likely blowing because the inverter pump has failed and is shorting (common). Matt can get u fixed up in your driveway if this is something you don't want to handle.

Fatmatt86 likes this.
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just unplug the pump motor connector and replace the fuse. If you're looking at the engine compartment fuse box, the plug connector is about 2 inches away from the upper left corner of the fuse box. It's the only plug connector in that area. Unplugging that should at least keep the fuse from blowing and allow you to operate the car at low speed until you can replace the pump.

The AM2 fuse kills the entire dashboard and MFD. No AM2=not going anywhere

#7 TMR-JWAP, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Skibob likes this.
  8. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  9. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I literally just popped this piece up and it doesn't smoke anymore. The car has been on and running for about 20 minutes now. Considering going for a little drive. Replaced the fuse box and all is well now. I still wanna get it checked out even if I make it to the store and back tonight. I think there is 2 wires touching. Can I get the contact info to get it checked out.

10. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No codes pulled up, but I have all of these lights on. Triangle of death life, battery icon light, yellow light and an exclamation point in the middle of the car. Is there a way to reset these, and also do you think it's safe for me to hit the highway, or is there any possibility of it shorting out and suddenly turning off slamming the car in park, or will it only turn off when I am completely stopped?

Attached Files:

11. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Look what just popped up. I drove 2 miles to the store and 2 miles back and the P0A93 showed up. Thanks for your help and assistance everyone who contributed to this post. I know where to go from here. Screenshot_20190603-231922_FIXD.jpg Screenshot_20190603-231922_FIXD.jpg

12. Kindke

Kindke Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    for a car thats meant to be rock solid and reliable its very disturbing that an issue an occur where you cant turn the car on and put it into neutral to move it around and get it towed.

i think thats a serious flaw with the prius. There really should be a way to put it into neutral when its completely dead.

13. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You've being told to unplugged the inverter pump connector, and drove the car only short distances until you get the pump replaced.
    Y are you still in doubt about what the issues could be, or something?

Fatmatt86 likes this.
  14. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have my doubts on who to take information from on these forum chats. Never know if people are joking or not. One person in another post suggested putting a bag of ice on the inverter to cool it. Is that a joke?

15. Fatmatt86

Fatmatt86 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Real question here. Would a 14 mile 20 minute ride be considered a short trip? Or would that burn the inverter up with the bad inverter cooling pump?

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's not always easy to tell if a given poster is trying to fix something properly or if they're just desperate to move the car another mile to get it into a garage or something.

Replacing the inverter coolant pump would be the right permanent fix.

A bag of ice would keep the inverter cool enough to move the car. Maybe far enough to get to a parts counter or an auto recycler.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's too far for an inoperative inverter cooling system.

18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've given all the suggestions I feel comfortable with giving out.

GOOD LUCK! (y)

Raytheeagle and Fatmatt86 like this.
  19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is not complicated. Just follow the suggestions of @fotomoto, @TMR-JWAP, and @SFO. They know what they're talking about.

The whole purpose of unplugging the inverter pump connector is to verify that that is the problem, not so that you can drive like nothing's wrong. Just think about how hot the inverter would get as those little solid state transistors handle about 100 amps uncooled and you will understand why "short distance at low speed" means a few blocks at about 25 mph. If that. I would not drive it at all if it was mine.

@Kindke, I also would love to have some sort of manual mechanical override to disengage the parking pawl. But then some bonehead would run over their own foot or worse and sue Toyota. So, there are inexpensive wheel dollies that let you move all four wheels any direction you want.

20. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fatmatt86, are you the guy that runs his car until the low (no) oil light comes on then fills it up?

Raytheeagle and Fatmatt86 like this.