1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car will not start, is the main battery dead ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PhilSav8, Jun 19, 2018.

1. PhilSav8

PhilSav8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

I have a 2004 Prius that I have had for 14 years and have never had an issue with the vehicle. However, I have had it parked and not used the vehicle for 4 months.
    I went to start the vehicle and it turns out the auxiliary battery had failed (original battery, so I got good mileage out of it). I replaced the aux. battery but still the car will not start, ie will not go to READY

On the LCD the message " the battery will not be charged if the transaxle is in neutral" is displayed with the warning exclamation/triangle light being displayed.

The error message I am getting on the screen is a car level indicator and main battery indicator.

How do I know if the main battery has an issue, short of having it towed to a mechanic/dealer? Is it worth getting the main battery reconditioned by rebuilding the battery pack or is it better to get a new battery? I would like to get some advice on my options.

Are there any further tests I can do before I get the vehicle towed?

I appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks PhilS

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Measure the voltage of the newly installed 12V battery. A fully-charged AGM battery will measure ~13.0V. If the voltage is good, you need to retrieve the diagostic trouble codes. Toyota Techstream is one way to do so. Mini VCI is a clone product.

If you determine the traction battery has failed, I would suggest you buy a new Toyota battery unless your idea of fun is a new hobby of having to periodically work on battery module replacement.

#2 Patrick Wong, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. Reconfirm and report back here what voltage of the auxuauxil battery you purchased.

To check the hybrid battery you would need some tools which would cost about $75.
    - Android phone/tablet ~$50
    - Elm 327 Bluetooth OBDII adaptor ~$20
    - Torque Pro app ~$5

Not sure you want to spend that kind of money.
    May just want to send it to hybrid mechanic to have it diagnosed.

PhilSav8 likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Absolutely. IF the new battery was not fully charged before being installed, that might be the problem. Many/most new batteries come less than 50% charged.

And while it is true that a good AGM will read 12.8 to 13 when fully charged with no load, when you try to put it in READY mode it might be less than that. Down to 12.4 should be enough to get it going.

5. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reluctant to recommend this -- so many people seem to muck it up -- but seems to me an easy check would be to try to jumpstart the Prius.

If that goes well, well....:)

PhilSav8 likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Letting a 14 year old hybrid battery sit for 4 months I’m pretty sure it’s the hybrid battery. It’s dead Jim.

If you have dash icons that usually means the 12 volt battery is ok enough to get the system up.
    But without hybrid battery power it will not turn over the engine.

Hybrid battery powers one of the motor generator mg1 to spin up the motor and then with ignition on the engine fires up. No hybrid battery power no spin.

Your not quoting any voltages which tells me your not an electronics guy if you were
    I would get you to open the relay cover on the battery and measure the battery pack output.

You can measure the pack output with various obd devices but your looking at a new hybrid pack or begin the long journey of fixing it yourself I’m afraid.

You never mentioned the miles on the car. What’s she got?

josh2008, PhilSav8 and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. PhilSav8

PhilSav8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First up, I really have to thank everyone for their input and advice.

Hi Patrick,
    I went into the cars diagnostic tools after searching on this forum how to do so.
    ie turn on car, hit power button twice with foot on break and depressing the info button.
    The voltage on the new battery displays 12.4v. So not sure if the aux battery needs charging still ? Its worth a try

The miniVCI, is it a cable that connects a laptop to the car for diagnostics?

Thanks ericbecky and sam spade 2, I will check the voltage on the aux. battery like Partick mentioned

cyberprius||, I already tried to jumpstart the prius.. I now think I need Marty and Doc and a huge lightning storm

edthefox, we live and learn. I won't do this again. The car has 300,000km. I am an electronics guy, multimeter and all, just very pressed for time. where is the relay cover on the battery.. and are we talking the main hybrid battery.

So is the main battery stuffed or can it be "recharged ??"

Thanks again people, your help has been great

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 12.4 volts it looks pretty good imho the 12 is fine disregard it.

You could buy a Prolong Charger and charge up the hybrid battery but the sad fact is your hybrid battery is very old and that would only be a temporary fix. At the very least the connections inside that battery will be corroded and will require servicing. Since Your an electronics guy pull that battery out Asap and see how bad it really is.
    Go to hybridautomotive.com and look at there install pictures for there charging harness they have step by step instructions on how to safely remove the hybrid battery from your car.

After removing it take many pictures of it before tearing into it. Use the search forum button up top and search

Hybrid battery

You have a lot of reading to do.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main battery can be charged.
    BUT... Remember, your are dealing with lethal levels of DC voltage.

In a sense it is like charging any battery.
    Positive to positive, Negative to negative.

But most people don't have a high voltage charger.
    (As opposed to nerds like me that have sonmany you can't keep track of them all).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. PhilSav8

PhilSav8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks edthefox5 and ericbecky,
    At 14 years I think the main battery had probably had its day in the sun.. so to speak.
    Again I appreciate everyone input and help

Raytheeagle likes this.