1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car will not start

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Charles Zoller, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Charles Zoller

Charles Zoller New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    2012 Prius c car would not start.. I jumped the battery and car started immediately but as soon as I removed the cables it died . battery indicated shows sufficient charge but will not start from off just when jumper cables applied . any ideas?

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What did you use to measure the 12v battery?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you need a new 12 volt battery

sufficient is insufficient

it's 6 years old, you're in texas, don't fight it

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  4. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hmm...6 years I would also concur to replace the battery. Do replace with the proper AGM battery, yes they're expensive but the charging system in your Prius C is designed for use with AGM batteries.

The other thing though, unless that 12V battery has some kind of short the car should have stayed running, provided you had the terminals connected the entire time. The charging system should have provided enough power to keep the car running/in ready mode.

So question is, has the check engine light been on? Secondly, when you jumped the vehicle did you leave the terminals connected to the 12 V battery. That all being said, we don't know what exactly you did. I would suggest replacing the battery and check the charging system.

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm just trying to figure out how he measured the battery levels from an indicator... I'm wondering if he didn't try to start the car and looked at the state of EV charge and assumed it was the 12v battery level.

jerrymildred likes this.