1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car will not turn on after battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priushelp2018, Jul 2, 2018.

1. priushelp2018

priushelp2018 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good evening I am new here but the reason to joining is based on a problem I have on my 2007 toyota prius I recently replaced the 12V battery but now the car is not turning on there is current because the Lights turn on but the car does not turn on the instrument cluster does not turn on aswell doors wont unlock or lock with the key or with the buttons when I try to turn on the instrument cluster displays check engine nothing else but when I connect the OBD reader it does not turn on aswell. I have tested the battery and it seems well. I would appreciate some Ideas thank you

2. Dbryant1732

Dbryant1732 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would try unhooking the battery for at least 10 mins and try hooking it back up to reset the CPU. That is what I would do first.

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check all the mechanical connections around the battery: Terminals, ground and plugs.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you disconnect/reattach the two (2) connectors on the positive side of the 12v battery?

ITBland and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    May I ask what lead you to replace the 12v battery? What symptoms were you experiencing that caused you to believe the 12v battery needed to be replaced?

Are you sure the "check engine" is displayed, or is it the "car symbol with a key inside it" flashing?

The "check engine" is actually an outline of a car engine with the word "check" underneath it.

#5 TMR-JWAP, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    kenoarto likes this.
  6. kentmitch

kentmitch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I read recently that you open and close driver's door and wait 10 seconds before trying to start. Don't recall where I read that or whether it works but simple to try. hope this helps
    Also you'll need to reprogram the window button and tire pressure monitor as I recall.

bisco likes this.
  7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Must have started working again?

8. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It was supposed to be 114F in Phoenix today, maybe they don't dare go outside to look at it?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you touch the orange interlock disconnect on the hv battery, you will have to reseat it before the car will start