1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

car won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by misterdean, Sep 17, 2022.

1. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    why you being so grumpy? i was referring to the slew of lights that just came on. the tire pressure light slipped my mind. even if i remembered, it wouldn't strike me as relevant and worth mentioning since it's not whats preventing my car from running. but i know i don't know shit thats why i asked about it even if i do sound stupid. i appreciate you mentioning P0AA6 but i don't know what that means. you said yourself only getting the codes will tell the tale so i have been trying to look in to what i can until i have the means to scan it. i heard about water leaks getting in the 12v terminal so i looked in to that. i checked fuses. i felt if the inverter pump was running. i ordered the VCI cable last night. i'm not experienced or knowledgeable. i'm doing my best.

#21 misterdean, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe grumpiness isn't necessary, but it really is helpful to be sure to answer the exact question asked when someone is trying to help from a distance ... the other person is making an effort to figure something out based only on what you say.

My best example came from the workplace years ago. Somebody swore up and down there was no message showing up on the monitor to read to me over the phone. I asked what was showing on the monitor. "Nothing at all." I asked "if you find the brightness knob, turn it all the way down and then back up, does anything you see on the monitor change?" Got my ear snarled off for being condescending. "OK", says I, "I'll be down to your office in a few."

When I got there I looked at the monitor and said "next time this happens, if you read me that message there, I can fix it right away" and the person said "oh that? I didn't think that was what you meant, that line is always there."

3. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i understand, but given how long you guys have been hanging around here and all the knuckleheads that post for help it should be known that most of us don't know our a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to these cars. that tire pressure light has been on for so many years it didn't even enter my mind until i saw somebody actually use the words tire pressure. when it clicked, i mentioned it. even when it clicked i questioned if it's worth mentioning cause i felt stupid asking how a tire pressure light would prevent my car from running but for the sake of being thorough i mentioned it. when asked about the lights i thought we were talking about the ones that just came on.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure, it can take a little bit of extra effort to say "let me look at my dash through fresh eyes and make sure I'm answering exactly the question the person hundreds of miles away has asked."

It's fair to expend that extra effort, because the other person is expending effort trying to ask clear questions from a distance.

5. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i can't look at my dash. the car is not in my possession. it crapped out in a strip mall parking lot. i took a picture of the dash to show you guys the lights and do my research and then it got towed to my buddy who is capable. i get the point that's being made but being snarky doesn't help.

#25 misterdean, Sep 20, 2022
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll give you that TMR was grumpy. I'm making an effort to be straightforward, non-grumpy, and non-snarky.

To me, what has already happened is not a big enough deal to spend much time on. What matters more is that PriusChat is a forum, this thread will be here for future others to read, and ideally, we help them get the point that's being made. They'll get better help, and fewer grumpy responses, that way.

7. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i'm cool. just want to express i'm a noob please have patience and get back on track.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would get a dealer diagnosis first and look for cost effective solutions second, especially without a robust code reader and some experience to filter out the noise of extraneous codes. However I have attached some of the basics of the blink method.

If it makes you feel any better, those guys are equal opportunity snarkers.

2008 Brake warning lights (I KNOW) | PriusChat

AEAF57B9-085E-4D2C-8C82-1C6F58513A44.png
    Some codes in pdf attached.

Clearing codes with the odb2 jumper:
    Try to clear the code by jumpering pins 4 and 13 and tap the brake pedal at least 8 times in 4 seconds. Then turn off.

Attached Files:

#28 rjparker, Sep 20, 2022
  9. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    going to a mechanic is my last resort. my buddy is my mechanic and i have complete faith that he will fix this. i ordered the techsteam program and cable so i should be able to pull codes tomorrow. will make everybody's life easier. appreciate the diagram. my feelings aren't hurt. more concerned with people getting upset with me and no longer helping.

bisco likes this.
  10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You already have your probable answer. It's in post 4. There's a search button in the upper right corner. Type in P0AA6, thats a zero, not an oh. There's a thousand threads that explain what it is. I've probably posted in half of them.

grumpy? Maybe, but it is aggravating when I waste my time trying to see what electrical failure would cause ALL those lights (because they're all new, right). The prius is a computer with wheels. Your car probably has 16 different ecus. The possibility exists that something could fail and cause unrelated warning lamps to turn on. That was why I was specifically mentioning about the TPMS, even in post 4. If we disregard the tpms, then you had your answer in the rest of post 4. All this ICWP stuff is chasing your tail, since if the car coded due to the inverter being hot, it would allow you to restart again once it cooled off, and a failed inverter would not cause a tpms. troubleshooting involves not only what can be, but also what can't be.

The P0AA6 can be reset just by disconnecting or unplugging the 12v battery in the trunk. It will allow you to drive the car normally, even if the code appears again while driving. It just won't let you start it back up after shutting it off, unless you disconnect or reset the code again. All this info is in the forum dozens of dozens of times, if you search P0AA6. Then you can drive it to be diagnosed. When you get or find someone with techstream, look under the hybrid control tab for "shortwave highest value". It should be 4.99v if the HV isolation is as good as it should be. Anything less means there's something going on. Once it starts getting into the 3s, it starts coding.

This code is unfortunately very common for the Gen 2 and 90+% of the time is due to a module in the battery pack finding a leakage path to the battery case. Usually due to electrolyte seepage.

11. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i already looked up the code. something to do with hybrid battery voltage system. unless i am mistaken, that by itself doesn't help right now. according to what i am reading, it will throw up another "detail code" along with that code that helps you narrow in on what specifically with the hybrid battery voltage system needs attention. i will be able to pull the codes tomorrow. makes sense to do that before i start tearing things apart right?

i know you mentioned TPMS in post 4. i don't know what TPMS and ICWP means. that's why i didn't mention it until somebody actually says "tire pressure" in post 10. i saw a few threads that said disconnecting the 12v battery "may" allow the car to start. but the car is preventing me from starting it for a reason so i'm not trying to drive it in this condition and potentially make things worse.

12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Many here assume everyone is advanced diy

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People too often sneak the word "battery" into that explanation. P0AA6 is a code about degraded insulation somewhere in the high-voltage system, but whether that's in the battery or not is one of the things you don't know before reading the INF code. It's only the battery if the INF code is 612. (The 614 area also includes a few small bits inside one end of the battery case.)

[​IMG]

There are some simple ways you can manually gather the same kind of data the car uses to decide which INF code to set (there are posts about that). But asking the car for the INF code is hard to beat.

14. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you can get the detail code (it's in the freezeframe data- the snowflake icon next to the main code), that will help focus where you should check next.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    bad thing about this forum is that we have lots of useless sticky threads, there's no sticky thread for this particular issue "No Start",
    I think the GEN2 Forum is just badly maintained, I don't know if there's a moderator or owner. Lots of useless "sticky threads" some of those should be removed and replaced with common issues or questions. Most of the senior members here prefer to respond to new threads about the same topic over and over instead of compiling or creating a sticky thread explaining things in 1 area. Other forums that I belong to has this sticky thread and most respond to just simply post the link.

bisco likes this.
  16. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The "owner" seems to have lost interest in maintaining the forum, note the lack of being able to "PM" for newer members. Not sure why, maybe the forum was a vehicle to gain some revenue by having a marketplace, although that seems to be hit and miss, mostly miss. Maybe you can start by picking an area of interest and adding to the wiki.

Have at it.
    Prius Wiki | PriusChat

bisco likes this.
  17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    i can't look at my dash. the car is not in my possession. it crapped out in a strip mall parking lot.

Since the car has been left in a strip mall parking lot, I would expect you're going to be in for more repairs than you expect. There are times when you need to get your car to a safe place. This was probably one of those times. Look up catalytic converter theft. Your car, if original, is the highest available prize in the catalytic converter theft category. This can easily turn into a major shtstorm for you. I would get the car out of there ASAP. May want to look under the car to see if the cats are still there or not.

If they're gone, and you are not DIY, the combo of a hybrid battery (~$2500) and cats (~$2800) at a dealer are going to be more than the car is worth.

18. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the car was towed to my buddy within a few hours.

19. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my buddy doesn't have a laptop for techstream. he has a mac. he tried a VM but couldn't get it to work. there is also a hurricane heading straight for us and he gave me a heads up he won't be able to pull codes till next week assuming we don't get messed up by this hurricane. i told him to pull the terminals on the 12v battery to see if it starts. it did. i am in a better place than him with this hurricane. i also have more time to pull codes and troubleshoot so i was thinking of driving it home. is there a possibility i mess my car up real bad by driving it like this? is there anything i should be paying attention to that would suggest the car is not OK stop driving now?

#39 misterdean, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  20. misterdean

misterdean Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i decided to drive it home before the hurricane hit. kept the radio and AC off so i can focus on the car. it drove fine. i didn't notice anything at all. lights never came on. MPG is normal around 45. the next day i started it up. no lights. still drives. repeated next day. same story. kinda confused. laptop should be here in a few days. with no lights on i'm assuming it's not going to give me codes. not sure if i should drive it or what to do.